Topic: Cable versus link problems

Page 1 of 1
Bunglefuzz
rank 2
Posted:
Mon May 21, 2007 11:30 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Can anyone please help me. I love f355 to the point where I've considered buying an actual arcade for my living room, but until then I'm living with the Dreamcast version.
I just purchased off ebay a second console and I'm trying to link them up using a Dragoncast cable I purchased from a french guy on ebay, but crikey me I cannot get it to work. I thought it might be one of the consules not working properly, so I borrowed a friends and that didn't work, I've purchased another Dragoncast cable from the same guy in France, but that hasn't worked either.
My original game was purchased from a shop in England, but the second game was off ebay and although the disc looks identical in every way to my English one the instructions are in German, could this be where the problem lies ???
Could it be that French Dragoncast cables don't work, even though the box for it is in English ???
I've tried every combination of pressing buttons on the controllers and nothing will allow me to select the hidden option in the main menu.
I've seen other passwords on websites that do nothing, RietiaNovelto and FaqotaDondlata, what are they ? Are they anything to do with this ?
Can anyone please advise me on my setup, and very clear and precise instructions on how to operate the hidden commands. Just pressing x+y does not allow me to select it. Pressing L+R in the options menu does nothing, whether I exit holding them still or not holding them. Whether I exit the options menu using the B button, or using the correct exit does nothing either. I've tried everything, please please help.
Many thanks indeed for taking the time to read this.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon May 21, 2007 11:55 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
At the games main menu, pressing X+Y and holding these 2 down should reveal a VS LINK CABLE option. Did you try this at the main menu? Not within the options sub-menu.
Posted:
Tue May 22, 2007 10:01 am
quote : #3
Yes I do press x+y on both controllers but the option is not selectable and scrolling up and down just jumps over it like the two player split screen option. When I plug two controllers into one consule the splitscreen option turns white and allows me to select it, I'm assuming the versus option behaves the same way when I press x+y and it's set up correctly, but it doesn't. AAAHHHHHHH

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue May 22, 2007 11:23 am
quote : #4
What version are you using? North American? Japanese? PAL?
Posted:
Wed May 23, 2007 3:07 am
quote : #5
This is where I'm thinking the problem might be. The Dragoncast cables I've got are from France, Could this be the problem ?
Also one of my games I purchased in the uk, but the other is from ebay and although the small print on the disc is identical to my english one the instruction booklet for it is in German, could this be the problem ? I've got another game coming in the post and hopefully this will rule out any disc concerns.

I very much appreciate the help you are giving me and my friends will too when we get it working. Thanks.

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Wed May 23, 2007 3:11 am
quote : #6
No, Dragoncast cables are region free. It sounds like a region issue disc-wise. I had a similar problem with Virtual On.

Bunglefuzz
rank 2
Posted:
Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:47 am
quote : #7
Something just came to mind that might be the problem.
Do I need the memory things in the controllers for link play to work ?
I haven't got any so would need to buy some off ebay to test it. But if anyone knows better before I spend more money......

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:16 pm
quote : #8
Ensure your cables are seated all the way into the serial port and that both Dreamcasts are on and the game on both systems is waiting at the menu screen. If you do that and it still doesn't work, it could be a problem with the regions of the disc. While the cable itself is region free, I've found that some games won't link up if they're from different regions. To be absolutely sure you're using two identical regions, you could download or make a backup of F355 and create two copies.

Bunglefuzz
rank 2
Posted:
Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:15 pm
quote : #9
I've tried 3 different discs and they all have identical small print.

Are the games easy to copy ? My friend assured me that the games wouldn't then play without the boxes being 'chipped', is this correct ?

Many thanks for everyone's continued help, one day I'll get there.

Saturn
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:06 am
quote : #10
Type: PAL
On the Dreamcast yes, but it depends on where you download the games from.