Page Location: Home > Support > PC-DC Server > Topic
MOPARRAM
rank 1
Posted:
Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:06 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hello, new to the forum! I have a few questions regarding the DC to PC server. I'm using a US Robotics external 56K X2 Modem on the PC side, and can't get a connection. Actually, this is a MAC version of the modem (not sure what that means, maybe it came with a funky mini DIN cable to RS232) , and I can swap it out with a PC version. What modems have been known to work? I tried a couple of PCI modems to no avail. The PC I'm using is connected to a Linksys Broadband adapter, it's only 233 MHZ MMX, but I figure it should at LEAST connect with the DC.I have a 1GHZ computer that I could run WIN 98 on to set up the server if neccessary, but again, I think you can make a PC to DC connection with a lesser processor. I just want to use the web browser for now, and maybe a game in the future.

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:22 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
The external modem I have been using is the Dynex DX-M300. This modem performs well across all games and multiple web browsers. I too had difficulties with internal PCI modems, but I was able to browse the internet with one. None of the games were playable over an internal modem though.

If you can, swap the MAC version of your external modem with the PC version. This is the first variable that you need to experiment with. Second, a 233MHz MMX should be able to handle the server, but make sure you have a sufficient amount of RAM. In my Celeron 466MHz, I have the maximum amount of RAM installed that the motherboard accepts (256MB). Don't skimp on the RAM. Last, is this Linksys broadband adapter a wireless adapter or a network card? If it is wireless, running the server is almost worthless due to the spottiness of wireless internet.

MOPARRAM
rank 1
Posted:
Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:08 pm
quote : #3
Actually, it's a Realtek Ethernet 10/100 card in the PC and it has 64MB, time to jam some memory in it!! It's connected to a Linksys Router. My "hub" computer is 1GHZ running XP with 256MB memory.and essentially runs the "network". The only wireless connection is a PSP.