Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:56 am
quote : #61
profile : pm
Type: PAL
So has it finally been released? Could someone post here when they recieve it because I'd love to see what the artwork/packaging looks like. If my copy arrives first I will get some photos up for sure.

Thanks, lozz.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
amcdc79
rank 10
Posted:
Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:42 pm
quote : #62
Update as of late last week;

Dear customer,

to release DUX Regular and DUX LE to the same time, the release date is now 17th June for both editions. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
René

I just hope it is worth the wait.

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:19 am
quote : #63
Well my copy came today! Like I promised heres some pictures so you can see the packaging and artwork:

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j51/lozzdude/DUX/

Cheers, lozz.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:59 pm
quote : #64
Type: NTSC-U/C
Great spread of photos lozz. Is that Pink Bullets thing just a placard? like an advert? Almost looks like a Mouse Pad. Its good to see they used proper cased packaging. I was afraid they were going to go with cardboard like they did with the soundtrack. I still wish they would sell these at $30. I think they price better suits the product.
Posted:
Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:41 am
quote : #65
Yep, the pink bullets thing is just a two-sided square leaflet. It's just advertising DUX and Last Hope Pink bullets. The "thanks for your patience" sticker is a nice touch seeing how many times this got delayed.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:30 pm
quote : #66
I am not trying to ruin anyone's day here by posting this information, but the facts need to be layed out.

The game has a critical score bug, as well as many other problems. This information pretty much means the game in its current state is ruined. Epic fallout has taken place over at the shmups.com boards. I have meticuliously read through the final 8 or so pages in the above topic, and have compiled a list of bugs and design flaws currently found in DUX:

1. Early in Stage 1 it is possible to get billions of points, that you should not receive. You absorb bullets from a series of green enemies that yields an improper point reward. (See here for a video of this in action.) Due to the huge score increase, you get 20 extra lives out of nowhere, which makes 1CCing the game in the traditional sense of 3 lives on 1 credit... impossible. It has been determined that this occurs when playing DUX in RGB mode. The bug seems to not present itself in VGA mode. Here are two comparison videos showing DUX played in RGB and VGA. So, in theory, the Score Bug could be avoided by playing the game in VGA.

2. Finding the possible cause of the score bug actually reveals yet another problem with DUX. The fact that the game runs faster in RGB mode than it does in VGA.

3. For some reason you can't enter in a high score, without killing yourself, or clearing the game without dieing at all. The game for some insane reason forces you to use 3 continues before you can even enter in a high score if you die 1 time. So its either use 3 continues and enter a high score, or 1 life the game. Where at this point entering your score anyway is irrelevant due to the score bug.

4. You are given no option to return to the main menu after you use up 1 credit. Usually in other shooters, if you die, you are given an option to either continue, or quit. This game gives you no option, which forces you to continue.

5. Freezing has been reported on Stage 2.

6. Missing modes: There is no loop, no difficulty selection, no score attack mode, and no practice mode. Some of these were advertised on the DUX homepage, but did not ship with the game.

7. DUX's score formatting has been mishandled. After you continue, the score should do 1 of 2 things. It should either reset to zero, or the last 2 digits should be held as placeholders by making any enemy point reward no less than 100 points. This allows for the last "00" of the score to be appended as you continue. So if you continue, the score at the end will be 01, 02, 03, etc for each continue you make. The fact that they messed this up screams amateur hour. This is a rookie mistake, and is inexcusable.

8. No control config. (wow... )

This is very disappointing. Those who pre-ordered had to wait forever to get this game, and now they receive a product that is damaged goods. The very fact that the upcoming Last Hope "Pink Bullets" release is designed to be a gameplay patch for the original Last Hope taints all of the projects the DUX team have come up with thus far. They are apparently working on a replacement disc to fix the score bug only. However they mentioned they may have to charge people money for a replacement disc, which in my opinion is a huge slap in the face.

This game was obviously not playtested enough or by the right people. Experienced players are picking up on these bugs within 1-2 hours of gameplay on their first play through. I find it interesting that developers themselves didn't even catch these bugs and design flaws. The situation screams amateur hour. They clearly have a lot more to learn about the shooting genre. It is yet another case of "game developers" not necessarily being "game players". Since the shooting genre is so niche and demanding, the standards set for the genre involve "precision" in every aspect. If you can't meet the bar set my previous games in the genre, you shouldn't be selling shooting games.

One thing I took great offense to was the attitude of the developers as reflected by user "RHE" in the DUX thread at the shmups.com boards. The developer tries using marketing spin tactics to brush off the situation by inventing a type of player called a "survivial" player; as if there are people who do not play for high score yet still try to stay alive.

Quote:
"While this scoring bug buffers me, I don't think it's a huge loss, as it makes the game easier for most people so I'm fine with that. However, it's pleasing how survival players enjoy this game." -RHE

There are only 2 types of players. Those who credit feed to play for fun which involves zero survival tactics, and those who try to beat the game in as few credits as possible and play for score with the "1 Credit Clear" being their final goal. Even in memorization shooters like R-Type, which DUX tries to emulate, the whole point is to still 1CC the game and achieve a high score. RHE then goes on treating the "scoring players" as if they are snobs. Pretty much everyone at shmups.com and everyone who plays shmups to begin with plays for score. Referring to ccustomers as snobs just because they are calling out the developers for obvious game defects is cowardly.

I consider myself to be a pretty diehard shooter fan as I have been a longtime player of the genre and own hundreds of shooters. I play these games to master them, not to kick back and play it like some random crappy first person shooter made by Ubisoft or EA where I am going shrug off bugs before eventually trading it in to GameStop like Joe Sixpack. For the DUX dev team to tell players such as myself to calm down, relax, forget about high score, and just play the game without challenging myself, is an insult.

RHE had the gaud to say DUX is on par with any MileStone game. This is completly absurd given the number of problems the game has. MileStone are quality developers who deliver quality games. They supported the Dreamcast with 3 quality shooting games, and even ported Puyo Puyo Fever to the Dreamcast for Sonic Team. It is clear the developers of DUX and the person known as RHE specifically need a huge helping of humble pie. They have a lot to learn about Public Relations, running a business, and most importantly how to develop shooting games.

In discussing this with others, there was concern that this would taint the Dreamcast's Homebrew scene and impede the release of other titles. I do not feel DUX's situation will discourage consumers from purchasing titles by other developers such as YUAN Works or SenileTeam. I think people are smart enough to realize that every other mainstay homebrew release such as Feet of Fury, Cool Herders, Inhabitants, Maquipai, and Wind & Water were all released without major incident.
Posted:
Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:23 pm
quote : #67
i completely agree with you, i read many comments about these major issues on shmups boards. This RHE is just disrespectful with the shmup fans and minimizes all the problems that have been noticed. I hate this kind of behaviour especially from a "called" dreamcast fan .It is very disappointing, the game could have been great, it is just "good"

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:23 am
quote : #68
This game is incredibly dissapointing. I don't know much about shumps, however the game is really restricted in terms of options.
The main problem is there is not way of varying the difficulty at all, usually you can at least select more credits/lifes in the options so that gamers such as me can play an easier version, whilst dedicated games can go ahead and try 1CC. There's not even a "practice" mode like some games have.
As Nikon pointed out you cannot select a different control layout which is annoying, especially if you are playing with an arcade stick.

Overall, I feel that this game was rushed in order to be put out, the deadline kept going back a month or so. They would have been better off making sure the game was fully completed before even announcing a deadline, or just putting it back 6 months or more. I would much rather have recieved a better version of Dux and waited another 6 months.

I get the feeling that are exploting the DC community for what we do, preorder almost any new release. Independent games on the DC really seemed be looking up with fantastic releases such as W&W. I hope that this doesn't tarnish the future market for much better prodcuers such as Senile team, Yuan Works, Goat games etc. I get the feeling that Hucast.net are just trying to get their hands on our money.

I would NOT reccomend buying this game to anyone, lets hope things look ip for future Indy releases.
lozz.

EDIT: I just read that shummp board link Nikon posted. Who the hell does this RHE guy think he is, people on there have the right to be angry several things which he said would be included aren't WE PAID MONEY. Surely this is fraud?

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:14 am
quote : #69
Calm down - this is a post from PLASMO shmups.system .... (the dude who found that bug)

plasmo at shmups.com wrote:
I've 1CCed this game a dozen times now and I'm enjoying it a lot. For me this game is among the most beautiful shmups I've played. The art-direction and design are fantastic, everything looks so crisp. Those fat lasers and huge bullets just look too cool!
With the bug(s) removed, I can finally start playing this game seriously, right now it's just trying for the no miss (which actually isn't that easy, because of the rank) DUX can easily hold up with Milestone games (and imo surpasses them).
Posted:
Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:11 pm
quote : #70
grubensau wrote:
Calm down - this is a post from PLASMO shmups.system .... (the dude who found that bug)

I've 1CCed this game a dozen times now and I'm enjoying it a lot. For me this game is among the most beautiful shmups I've played. The art-direction and design are fantastic, everything looks so crisp. Those fat lasers and huge bullets just look too cool!
With the bug(s) removed, I can finally start playing this game seriously, right now it's just trying for the no miss (which actually isn't that easy, because of the rank) DUX can easily hold up with Milestone games (and imo surpasses them).

If you are telling people to calm down, then you clearly do not understand the problems listed above in my post and how they impact the game. For those who take the genre seriously, all of the bugs and game defects I have outlined are game crippling issues. For everyone else (the minority) who play shooters by credit feeding and don't spend enough time with these games to care about the games on a more serious level; these problems probobly aren't going to matter to you. I say minority because anyone who sticks with the genre on a regular basis will eventually breach the casual threshold and then become more diehard with their play and appreciation for the genre.

In its current form, DUX is only a good game for people who:

1. Play these games relaxed without any really care about whats going on in the game other than a fleeting fun spurt of STG action in between beers.

2. Those who plan to never go beyond this level of interest with the genre.

3. Players who already own every shooter on the Dreamcast and have money to burn.

Also, within the shmup community there is a huge divide with regards to shooter fans. There are large pockets of players that hate on companies like MileStone and Triangle Service. These companies are the current punching bags of the shmup community. There are MileStone haters out there who think all MileStone games are garbage. All I can say is that there is a lot of drama in the shmup community, especially coming from CAVE fanboys, so anyone saying DUX is better than a MileStone game is dilusional. Other people like Kingbuzzo can back me up on this as he frequents arcade and shooter communities and knows exactly what I am talking about.

After the laundry list of issues shown in my thread above, my question to any Dreamcast fan is this:

If you have $40.00 in your pocket, does it make more sense to purchase DUX? or put that money towards a legitimate Dreamcast Arcade Shooter on GD-ROM? Whether it be a single import like Radirgy, Under Defeat, or Trigger Heart Exelica; or buying some of the cheaper domestic releases such as Giga Wing, Gunbird 2, and Bangai-O?

NOTE: For anyone who did purchase DUX I highly advise getting your bug replacement discs, and pursuing the matter aggressively until it is resolved. If they do not have the foresight to print different logos on the disc labels, finding non-buggy discs in the aftermarket will be impossible.

Last edited by lordnikon on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:30 am
quote : #71
grubensau wrote:
...With the bug(s) removed, I can finally start playing this game seriously....

Are replacement discs available already then?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:56 am
quote : #72
lozz, you will have to follow RHE's comments at shmups, as well as contact RHE or HUcast.net to get your replacement disc. He is saying they are going to have them ready in about 1-2 weeks, but now its a waiting game all over again. So who knows. I just hope you don't have to pay money on top of shipping to get your replacement disc. I believe the scoring bug, as well as the continues problem will be fixed but that is all. Why they aren't adding a control config option is beyond me.
Posted:
Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:30 am
quote : #73
Nikon - I clearly understand what youre talking about - but heck, your simple 2 offense. Telling ppl: DONT buy the game isnt simple fair. I wasnt able 2 find any positive thing about DUX in your comment. And lets count how many ppl here or outside are die hard 1credit players. Have you played it yet?
Posted:
Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:19 pm
quote : #74
Type: NTC-U
Exactly Grubensau!

Agreed, an Opinion before review critism is uncalled for and not wise too.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:26 pm
quote : #75
grubensau wrote:
Nikon - I clearly understand what youre talking about - but heck, your simple 2 offense. Telling ppl: DONT buy the game isnt simple fair. I wasnt able 2 find any positive thing about DUX in your comment. And lets count how many ppl here or outside are die hard 1credit players. Have you played it yet?

Grub, I own more shmups than any other genre. Not only do I own every shmup on the Dreamcast, but I have over 215 shooter releases on home consoles. I have a long time vested interest these games. So when a developer comes along with an R-Type ripoff, drags out shipping dates, only to finally release a game with not just a bug, but a broken continue system, sloppy score handling, missing modes that were advertised prior to release, no controller configuration, and then a developer speaking out on forums who disrespects the very fanbase that is buying his game in the first place... then yea I am going to call them out on it. This isn't being unfair. I am just telling it like it is.

Yes I have played DUX. I have played through most of the game already. The problems as outlined above ruin the experience. They are not minor issues that can be ignored. They are crippling defects that greatly hinder the game for the majority of shmup fans. This is why there was such an uproar over at shmups.com in the first place.

DCbrotha wrote:
Exactly Grubensau!

Agreed, an Opinion before review critism is uncalled for and not wise too.

I have played the game DCbrotha. Giving a review of a game is a not a pre-requisite for pointing out factual game defects and flaws.

The fact that you cannot enter a high score without using 3 whole continues or 1CCing the game is ludicrious. After dying the game forces you to continue. There is no timer ticking down allowing you to go back to the main menu. Also, the game dishes out extra lives like they are candy. Every respected shooter ever has 3 lives per credit. DUX for some insane reason gives you 6 lives by default, with NO option to configure this. Coupled with the fact that you are forced to continue 3 times, means to enter a high score without 1CCing the game requires you to use a minimum of 18 lives!!!! That is if you don't pick up any of the numerious lives scatterd throughout each stage.

The developers went out of their way to add a scoring mechanic to the game, but it is entirely wasted because they botched the Credit system. The game is broken and cannot be played for high score period.

These are FACTS. Not opinions.