Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:00 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I've always wondered why you guys over there were supplied with 33k modems.

Mazonemayu
rank 27
Posted:
Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:55 am
quote : #2
because the dc really doesn't need anything over 33k to play online at good speed Mr. Green

Blue Rogues...Attack!!!
Saturn
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:10 am
quote : #3
Type: PAL
Yeah, i always wondered myself, And its annoying how we never got any of the good add-ons that SEGA made throw the Saturn and Dreamcast Era, when Europe was the place were the Master System and the Genesis/Megadrive sold the most.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:42 am
quote : #4
You have to realise the Dreamcast launched last in Europe. Also, its online games launched even later because of this. So by the time PAL Dreamcast Online was just ramping up, Sega was already on the path to leaving the console market. At that point Sega of Europe was not going to bring over the Broadband peripheral or 56k modem. Especially considering the only games that actually supported the BBA were PSO, which supported it unnofficially. Only 12 PAL Dreamcast games featured online gaming capabilities. A very small number compared to Japan/North America.
Posted:
Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:22 am
quote : #5
Type: Pal
lordnikon wrote:
You have to realise the Dreamcast launched last in Europe. Also, its online games launched even later because of this. So by the time PAL Dreamcast Online was just ramping up, Sega was already on the path to leaving the console market. At that point Sega of Europe was not going to bring over the Broadband peripheral or 56k modem. Especially considering the only games that actually supported the BBA were PSO, which supported it unnofficially. Only 12 PAL Dreamcast games featured online gaming capabilities. A very small number compared to Japan/North America.

This is speaking very generally but I have never understood why products cant be offered online to all countries. The BBA was region free so there is no good reason why Sega of Japan could not have sold this worldwide at the correct postage price. BBA is only the tip of the iceburg though as you know I hate regions altogether I think everything should be region free and offered online at least worldwide. That way everyone can get what they want without the need to void warrentys buy games without consumer protection etc etc. LIke you say above only 12 Pal games featured online play, whos fault is that? not ours I would have bought them had they been here. "region" its a swear word to me Sad can cause grief expense and bad feeling.

I am just a disgruntled customer who was unable to buy a BBA in my local shops. The reasons given by Lordnikon above although relavent are to me just a list of excuses babbled out by a games company that wouldent sell me the product I wanted. This comapny treats the rest of the world to more games and accesories than I have access to even though I paid the same money for my console. Great way to make your customers feel 2nd rate. Offering region free games/accesories and worldwide postage would have gone a long way to alleviating my disgruntlement and made me think much more of Sega.

Sorry to babble about that here but its always been one of my pet hates and this auction is the end result.

Laters
Posted:
Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:19 am
quote : #6
You have to look at this from a business perspective. Video game companies have divisions in each geographic location. There is a Sega of Japan, Sega of North America, and Sega of Europe. Each company, and employee has to report earnings, budgets etc etc. If video games and consoles are region free there is a greater tendency for unbalanced regional earnings (unless you launch a product simultaneously worldwide). So you have say, VP what's his name in Japan getting a promotion, while VP whats his name in Europe is getting fired.

Getting BBA's created was not some simply "buy 10 at a time" task. You had to order in bulk at about 1,000+ units per order, and throttle that to how much you expect to sell depending on demand.

The Internet was an entirely different place back then. e-commerce was nothing compared to what it is now, and back then people were still questioning whether selling goods online would make a substantial profit. Millions of people were still on dialup back then. If Sega of Europe directed consumers to the US online store to buy the BBA, they would have to deal with hundreds of angry support calls from those wondering why their new Dreamcast BBA does not work with any of their PAL online games. Blast, you were in a small minority who knew what US games you had to import like Bomberman Online that could put the BBA to good use.

Remember the BBA didn't make it to the US until January of 2001. PAL PSO v2 was released in Spring of 2002, the same time Sega officially announced they were no longer manufacturing Dreamcast Consoles.
Posted:
Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:38 am
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:

I feel so abandoned again... Did SEGA actually do anything good with Europe? (Sorry thats a bit off topic)

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:12 pm
quote : #8
Saturn wrote:
I feel so abandoned again... Did SEGA actually do anything good with Europe? (Sorry thats a bit off topic)

They made a few pal exclusive games, thats about it.

Laters
Posted:
Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:33 pm
quote : #9
I don't think PAL users should feel abandoned due to not receiving a 56k modem, or a BBA. Like I said above, no games released in PAL officially supported the BBA. So its not like they released all of these BBA compatible games and then simply didn't release the adapter needed to take advantage of them.

During the height of the DC in Europe, the 33k modem served its purpose just fine. I don't think it made too big of an impact on online play. Most players in Europe who have used the 33k modem, say it works great against other PAL players, but if you are playing against the USA, getting a 56k modem would help.

Despite not getting as many online games as Japan or North America, Sega of Europe still supported Dreamcast Online very well. Just look at how long they kept PAL PSO online for. It didn't come down until Sega of Japan forced them to. They still give out Dreamkey Browsers via mail. Also, PAL did get some exclusives not released in other territories such as Planet Ring, Monaco Racing Simulation 2, and Toy Racer.
Posted:
Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:25 pm
quote : #10
Well now you put it that way, But does Planet ring have a use anymore?

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:34 pm
quote : #11
lordnikon wrote:
I don't think PAL users should feel abandoned due to not receiving a 56k modem, or a BBA. Like I said above, no games released in PAL officially supported the BBA. So its not like they released all of these BBA compatible games and then simply didn't release the adapter needed to take advantage of them.

During the height of the DC in Europe, the 33k modem served its purpose just fine. I don't think it made too big of an impact on online play. Most players in Europe who have used the 33k modem, say it works great against other PAL players, but if you are playing against the USA, getting a 56k modem would help.

Despite not getting as many online games as Japan or North America, Sega of Europe still supported Dreamcast Online very well. Just look at how long they kept PAL PSO online for. It didn't come down until Sega of Japan forced them to. They still give out Dreamkey Browsers via mail. Also, PAL did get some exclusives not released in other territories such as Planet Ring, Monaco Racing Simulation 2, and Toy Racer.

Its true to say that the average pal gamer would not have noticed any problems with thier 33k modem. I played online with my 33k modem for years before I got the 56k. What I will say though is that there is a noticeable performance factor between the two modems that you will notice when you switch like I did. A bad example is its like getting HD TV, there was nothing wrong with your Standard TV until you saw the new HD one then the old one just was not quite so good anymore. Ive often wished that I had bought the 56k before Bomberman came offline having seen the variations on other games. I think also there were possibly some issues not noticeable to the Pal non importer. Ooga booga for one I could play fine with 4 Pal players but never well with any NTSC players in game. Put an NTSC player in with 3 Pal players and the game would freeze and unfreeze every 3 seconds like running a bad dvd. The only time this happened when there were 4 pal players it turned out one of us has a 56k modem, so possibly an issue there. Thats a bit nit picky though as Ooga booga was a non Pal release.

I fell we got the bum end of the exclusives

Monaco GP: probably the worst DC online title I played
Toy racer: Below average for DC online game that could be fun though. Hardly any offline play, think its race the tracks on your own.
Planet ring: Best thing Sega europe ever did a superb game ruined by the fact they gave the disk away on the front of a DCM magazine with no mic. So a large majority of players had the game and no mic therefore missing out on the best parts of Planet ring and leaving without playing much. Due to this having NO offline play its often known as Planet coaster

Sega europe did have decent support and as we all know looked after PSO very well for which I salute them. I think in that department they did a good job.

Laters
Posted:
Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:55 am
quote : #12
I don't even know why i put that Planet ring question on. Anyways, why did SEGA Japan force SEGA Europe to close down the Phantasy Star Servers? It not like its harming them.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:13 am
quote : #13
Saturn wrote:
I don't even know why i put that Planet ring question on. Anyways, why did SEGA Japan force SEGA Europe to close down the Phantasy Star Servers? It not like its harming them.

Hehe this is more or less the same type of question that would apply to any online game. The answer is, its more complicated than anyone assumes, and every game goes offline eventually. My main point with the comment about the PAL PSO servers, was that Sega of Europe supported the game for as long as it possibly could. Which showed that they atleast had a dedicated to their PAL DC online audience.