Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
Mazonemayu
rank 27
Posted:
Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:50 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
as the title says
I'm totally not into racing games, but am looking for mario kart like games on the dc to play with my kid

so far I have Disney World Magical Racing Tour & Pen Pen (which unfortunately doesn't seem to work in vga)

suggestions lads??

Blue Rogues...Attack!!!
grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:13 pm
quote : #2
Wacky Races - carton styled fun racer.
Posted:
Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:28 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
south park rally, although its not the best game to have your kids play but it is a lot like MK. also looney tunes space race, you can also play kart racing in sonic adventure 2. you may also want to consider games like star wars pod racer and revolt. i can't think of anymore off the top of my head.
Posted:
Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:20 pm
quote : #4
gary_b wrote:
you may also want to consider games like star wars pod racer and revolt. i can't think of anymore off the top of my head.
I've played Star Wars pod racer on the N64 and I love it, so if the Dreamcast version is as good or better I would recomend it.
Posted:
Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:28 pm
quote : #5
nick944 wrote:
gary_b wrote:
you may also want to consider games like star wars pod racer and revolt. i can't think of anymore off the top of my head.
I've played Star Wars pod racer on the N64 and I love it, so if the Dreamcast version is as good or better I would recomend it.
i have it for both and it is a lot better on DC. graphics and controls are better
Posted:
Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:46 am
quote : #6
Looney Tunes: Space Race is the closest you can get to Mario Kart on the DC. Both games have similar game elements, including weapons and accessible controls. It's a worthwhile game, regardless if you are a fan of Looney Tunes.

Re-Volt is also a fun little game, though the controls and game physics are not quite as polished as Space Race. A young child might get frustrated at the game and throw a temper tantrum.

Regarding South Park Rally, you might be able to mute the voices and/or disable the taunts, making the game a little more child friendly. Some of the character names are somewhat crude though (Big Gay Al comes to mind). The game itself is decent at best, but I would still recommend Looney Tunes over SPR.

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:50 am
quote : #7
Type: PAL
There was a Walt Disney racing game if I'm not wrong..

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:17 pm
quote : #8
Mazonemayu wrote:
as the title says
I'm totally not into racing games, but am looking for mario kart like games on the dc to play with my kid

so far I have Disney World Magical Racing Tour & Pen Pen (which unfortunately doesn't seem to work in vga)

suggestions lads??

JKKDARK wrote:
There was a Walt Disney racing game if I'm not wrong..
no you are not wrong, there is one. but he has it already. Very Happy
Posted:
Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:46 am
quote : #9
There is also the leaked dump of the unreleased prototype Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas. That game is very Mario-Kart esque, and the content is kid-friendly, but the controls and framerate are poor. What also should be noted is that the tracks are large, with many paths, and as far as I know, you can't see the arrow that points to the next checkpoint when playing in split-screen, which could cause frustration for a young child. Still, if you're interested, you can ask someone for a link to the dump; it's not against site policy.
rank 43
Posted:
Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:13 am
quote : #10
Type: Pal
There is the pal exclusive Toy racer. I just thought of this as I had it out for multi player yesterday. Its not the best game in the world by any means but its a bit different to some of the others.

Laters
Posted:
Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:53 am
quote : #11
Type: NTSC-U
Wacky racers is tougher than Mario Kart, but it's essentially the same idea.

Stonefreeze
unknown
Posted:
Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:39 am
quote : #12
At first, I couldn't remember the title of the game so I looked it up at dreamcast.ign.com. A good multiplayer game similiar to Mario Kart, if my memory serves me right, is San Francisco Rush 2049. I played it a few times and had a blast. I haven't had my DC out for a long time now (maybe over a year.... I know, it's tragic....) but it was a good game and pretty much unheralded for the Dreamcast. You don't here to many people talk about it anymore

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:10 pm
quote : #13
San Francisco Rush 2049 has zero relation to Kart style gameplay whatsoever. That is an arcade racing game by Midway, more akin to Ridge Racer where your cars spread wings and you flip off jumps catching air across vast distances. So not a Kart racer.
Posted:
Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:42 pm
quote : #14
TheMytho wrote:
Looney Tunes: Space Race is the closest you can get to Mario Kart on the DC. Both games have similar game elements, including weapons and accessible controls. It's a worthwhile game, regardless if you are a fan of Looney Tunes.

QFT.