Page Location: Home > Classic Sega > Topic
SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:07 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
This is something I had been thinking about for a while but just took my time acquiring the necessary equipment. My goal was to have two players in the same room play against each other via netlink. What was needed was two saturns, two netlinks and the most expensive part: a line simulator. I finally acquired that last part and had the opportunity to test everything out. I was able to connect the two saturns together and play a game of virtual on! There is absolutely no lag whatsoever!

I'm posting this here because those who frequent the site may appreciate it.

The screenshots are done with both saturns on the same TV with picture-in-picture.

The setup.

Machine select screen.

Gameplay.

Now I have to adapt the line simulator to the PC-DC server and I'm all set. No more line swapping or building voltage simulators.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:44 pm
quote : #2
Awesome, I had been wondering whether a standalone line simulator would allow for local netlink play. It is great to know this is possible. Smile

Also, I am sorry to say that there is indeed lag with your HDTV. Do a timecode test with a laptop to determine how much lag there is.
Posted:
Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:05 pm
quote : #3
I can detect the input lag by looking at the third picture. The first screen has a time of 70"58 while the other screen is at 70"68. So a 10ms delay?

Anyway, good to see that local Netlink setups are feasible. I am guessing that the lag comment was related to the Netlink though and not necessarily towards input lag.

SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:00 pm
quote : #4
I should have stated my "no lag" comment better. There is no discernible lag. Of course any HDTV is going to have lag (and any TV in general if you want to get down to it) and some TV's are better than others. The one I have has, no noticeable lag. I've played on some pretty terrible TVs for lag. I would do a timecode test to see what it is because I'm sure it would be a very small margin, but my laptop's backlight recently went bad.

The ten milliseconds difference between the two screen times can't be assumed as constant either. They sync up to start the match and the actual latency may be higher or lower at any point during the match.

*Just as a side note, I do all my game playing on CRT standard def monitors, this was just easier for me to see the two side by side without having to have two TVs.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:05 pm
quote : #5
SEGA RPG FAN wrote:
*Just as a side note, I do all my game playing on CRT standard def monitors, this was just easier for me to see the two side by side without having to have two TVs.

Ok cool. Sorry about my comments. I realise that I am acting like a troll when I do this and I need to stop. Everytime I see someone post about playing classic systems on an HD display I freak out and point a finger claiming "INPUT LAG!"

I really should toss up one large information guide about it and be done with it, rather than constantly badger people.

So for that I apologize.

---

As for the research and tecnical aspects of this setup, it is pretty sweet. One thing I should point out is that Virtual On supports system link by defualt via the Saturn Link cable. So it might be more interesting for titles like Sega Rally or Daytona USA that don't natively support system link. How much did the line simulator cost you and where did you buy it from?
Posted:
Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:40 pm
quote : #6
lordnikon wrote:
Ok cool. Sorry about my comments. I realise that I am acting like a troll when I do this and I need to stop. Everytime I see someone post about playing classic systems on an HD display I freak out and point a finger claiming "INPUT LAG!"

No problem. I did get a little defensive there didn't I?

lordnikon wrote:
So it might be more interesting for titles like Sega Rally or Daytona USA that don't natively support system link.

That's next on my list. I have Daytona, Sega Rally and Bomberman that I have yet to try this with.

lordnikon wrote:
How much did the line simulator cost you and where did you buy it from?

I paid 120 shipped from the Twister Group. That's more than I would have liked to pay but I figured $120 isn't a lot in the long run if I don't splurge like that too often.
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:21 pm
quote : #7
this set up looks pretty nice RPG FAN. i wouldn't mind trying some thing like this in the future. but it cost a bit to much for me atm. i don't even have a Saturn yet.

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:
are you talking about TVs? or computer monitors? did they make VGA adapters for Saturn?
Posted:
Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:32 pm
quote : #8
That would be TVs. The only thing I play on a monitor is my dreamcast and even on that I only play PSO. The rest of my dreamcast games I prefer the non-VGA look.

They didn't release a VGA adapter for saturn. The best way to play saturn is through the composite connection. That way you don't have to see the terrible mesh they call a transparency.

Sorry for getting a little off-topic.
gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:54 pm
quote : #9
Man, I've love to have to resources to get that kind of set up.

Looks great!