Page 1 of 1
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:56 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
as the subject says i picked up a genesis today. the games they had to choose from was a bit slim. i only got 2 games nba jams and spot goes to hollywood. if you don't already know its that 7up cool spot thing. it also came with 2 six button controllers. i got it all for $25.

its been so long sense i have had a genesis i forget what games are good. i remember a few i am going to grab. Mortal kombat is one. anyone have any suggestions?
Posted:
Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:54 pm
quote : #2
Type: PAL
Genesis (Mega Drive) gives me a lot of good memories. Games I recommend are many but I'll give a few:

Well probably all the platform Sonic games in 2D but especially Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, Strike series (Desert, Jungle and Urban Strike), Streets of Rage 2, Golden Axe 2, Cadash, Herzog Zwei, Mercs. This ones are all games that I loved and I still enjoy to play them nowadays. I want only to suggest games I played but there are many more. I never played but maybe Phantasy Star IV worth a try and I should give it a try someday too Smile .
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:45 pm
quote : #3
Where does one even start. I could sit here listing games from here till eternity since the genesis is my favorite 2D console of all time, and maybe I will make a thread doing just that for recommendations. However for now I will point you to a great resource for exploring what the genesis has to offer:

http://www.sega-16.com

Sega-16 has reviews that give some detailed info about games, as well as screenshots so you can see what they look like.

2 games you should purchase immediatly are:

• Flashback: The Quest for Identity
  • Streets of Rage 2

The genesis is a monster console for shooters. See the following for details on everything the system has to offer in terms of shooters:

Sega-16's shmup feature
Reviews at shmups.com
Posted:
Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:06 pm
quote : #4
they have Gaiares a few of them actually. i was in a bit of a rush today. i think they had jungle strike too. its possible they had streets of rage as well. the nice about this guys shop is that is close by and he has most of the games for 5 bucks. i am going to check this other store and see how many games they have soon.

when asking about games for the genesis i should be specific about what kind of games i like. but this is hard to do for the the genesis. i am already thinking of getting double dragon and battle toads. idk if i will get golden axe just yet. i have it on smash pack. but i might get it just to have it on genesis. as i think about it more games are coming to mind.

does anyone know if they made tetris in north America for the genesis? i see it on the link nikon posted but only JP and EU. does this mean no NA tetris?
Posted:
Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:49 pm
quote : #5
The cool thing about the Sega Genesis is just how well the games have held up over the years. You could take like $20 and get a handful of fun stuff. There are even some fun licensed games for the system (Aladdin, Cool Spot). Smile

A common game you should look for is Outlander. It's basically a copy of Mad Max (actually, it was a Mad Max game up until the last minute). You start off in a car in middle of the desert being chased by thugs on motorcycles. You kill them in a first-person view with a shotgun when they near either side of the car or by shooting them with the machine guns mounted on the front of the car. You can actually see the thugs being decapitated from the shotgun blast.

When you are nearing a town, the turn signal will light up. You can pull over on the side of the road and get out of the car. The game turns into a 2D side-scroller when you are out of the car. The main objective during these interludes is to stock up on gasoline, ammo, armor for your character and various upgrades to the car. You can even find a little toy bird to dangle from your rear view mirror. The graphics are pretty impressive and the music, while limited, is actually pretty decent. A really solid, entertaining title.

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:51 am
quote : #6
Like everyone is saying here:

BUY STREETS OF RAGE 2.

Possibly the best 2 player game ever produced.

Also like starwalker said get games from the strike series,
I especially enjoyed Jungle strike and spent hours playing it.
They are top down/3rd person view games in which you operate
a vehicle which can vary from helicopters to hovercrafts.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:49 pm
quote : #7
Type: Pal
I never actually owned a Mega drive of my own as a kid but my Brother had one and whenever I went to his house there were always kids fighting over who go the next go on

Ghouls and Ghosts: http://youtube.com/watch?v=oftX025rGsw&feature=related

Only played it once or twice but watching the game fun enough.

Laters
Posted:
Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:56 pm
quote : #8
while i was at the store i grabbed one of them 6 pak games. it has sonic1, golden axe, streets of rage, columns, revenge of shinobi, and super hang-on on it.
Posted:
Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:07 pm
quote : #9
Good move gary. The 6-Pak is a nice way to get started with the Genesis.

In addition to all the recommendations for Streets of Rage 2 (which I will also endorse), you should look into the third installment. It has the deepest play mechanics of the three games. It is also the most difficult SoR game. The graphics are some of the finest on the Genesis and the music, while an acquired taste, is almost as good as SoR2's score (if you are into fast-paced, almost random house music). The magic from SoR2 isn't quite as strong however. It just isn't as memorable as 2. If you can find it for a decent price, pick it up. For whatever reason, SoR3 gets a bum rap from some of the fans. Don't listen to them and check it out yourself.

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:28 am
quote : #10
Please get these titles, I love them:

Mega Bomberman
Tiny Toon Adventures: ACME All-Stars

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:04 am
quote : #11
JKKDARK wrote:
Please get these titles, I love them:

Mega Bomberman
Tiny Toon Adventures: ACME All-Stars
hmm you know i might of had this tiny toon game. is this the one with mini games on it? like bowling and basketball?
Posted:
Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:51 pm
quote : #12
Yeah, and don't forget football (soccer) Surprised