Topic: Dreamcast Online Communities

Page 1 of 1
Chum_Bum
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:18 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hello everyone. I'd like to take this opportunity to discuss two things.

The first is to introduce myself. I've never been online with the Dreamcast, but I love my Dreamcast and see it's online capabilities as an excellent opportunity to extend it's life-span. From what I've seen this is a top-notch site, and I look forward to discovering and expanding on the DC and it's online functionality with all of you!

The second, and far more relevant, is to ask what is the current state of the Dreamcast online community? This website looks pretty solid, but is it difficult to gather several people for online matches? Also, what is the online community like outside of Online Consoles? Are there any sites that you would recommend to check out?

Thank you all for your time!

-Chum_Bum
Posted:
Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:35 am
quote : #2
Type: PAL
Hello, and Welcome to OnlineConsoles Very Happy

You can check the PBDs from the Online Game List and see the members who have the games you want to play online.
Also you can go to Game Organization and see the games scheduled, so you can join them Very Happy

I don't think there are more communities dedicated to online gaming on Dreamcast, but you can check homebrew and gaming sites dedicated to Dreamcast like DCEmu UK and DCEmulation Wink

Saturn
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:37 pm
quote : #3
Type: PAL
Hmm.. thats a very good point. Where are all the Dreamcast online communitys gone?

Jaesonx5
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:47 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
I'm fairly new here and would also like to know the general state of Dreamcast Online.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:21 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
The only other Dreamcast Online community that I know existed was at http://dcog.netfirms.com/, which back when OC started, was a smaller forum that didn't get much traffic(today it is a haven for spam bots). It was the only site that was really dedicated to Dreamcast Online before OC came along. Any other Dreamcast Online discussions took place randomly across other DC specific forums like dcemulation, ign, gamefaqs etc etc.

Asking about the current state of Dreamcast Online is sort of a loaded question. Typically when people ask that, they want to know what the activity levels are, so they can determine whether to get involved. However the problem with that is in order to answer this properly you need to look at the true nature of online gaming.

Online gaming, regardless of platform all ends up with the same result. The player density tapers off over time, leaving only the diehards who are serious about playing the console well after the rest have left. The current state of Dreamcast Online is pretty much everything that you see here and the players that actively play online on various games. People here are more rooted to the systems OC covers, so as the years go by veterans will still be around. So you will always be able to find other people to play with here at OC, even if you are on the game at various times and can't necessarily find random players.

If you have say, 10 devoted Starlancer players scattered across the world in different timezones, there is no way these people are going to stumble across each other online. Some sort of organizational tool is needed for these people to link up with one another. That is sort of the whole reason why this site was created in the first place, so that people could use this as a central hub for socializing and setting up online game sessions when it was near impossible to do so simply by looking for people randomly.
Posted:
Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:51 pm
quote : #6
Type: Pal
I concur with what Lordnikon said. DCOG was the only other place that was dedicated to the Dreamcasts online side and was sadly ruined when a new admin took over then did 100% nothing. There was one site that preceeded both Onlineconsoles and DCOG called Crabcult. The sites still up ( http://www.geocities.com/crabcult2k ) and owned by the same person but its no longer a Dreamcast related site in anyway. At one point Pazuzu paid for a domain name and the site was located at URL www.crabcult.com. We discussed games there from Chu chu to PSO and every member was heavy dreamcast online player. The site used a basic network54 message board and had a smallish membership which included players like Feugan who once ran the hugely popular psoquest and Megalon who ran the DC Q3 league cosmic trigger. Ive used various websites to try and get up old displays of the message board as it was back in the day but sadly never had any luck. The Network54 board has been erased and no archive sites seem to have a record back far enough Sad

At one point in time I use to visit a lot of other DC sites set up by fans dedicated to other DC areas but only Onlineconsoles and DCOG have I ever know for strictly online after the DC's demise. Theres one kind of speciality area if you go to gamefaqs and then the Bomberman online message board theres a group of players there that have been posting about Bomberman online on the DC ever since the game died. Gamefaqs gets purged quite often though so you wont see any old posts. One day I'll have to dig up some old information and go look see whats still up in the world or the www world.

Laters