Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
1, 2  Next
Excalibur007
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:13 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
XDP Limited Edition R-4 has finally been released!
Hi ya'll. It's been a while since I've been around. Haven't done much of anything on the Dreamcast since early '06. Since I just lost my job and school is about to start back, I figured I'd better take this opportunity to finally finish an old project. So, here it is, the 4th and probably final release of XDP.

It's mostly what I wanted to release in '06, but I went ahead and made some more graphical improvements. Also the VMU loading bug has been fixed. Honestly, it's been so long since R-3 and so many changes were made by 2006 when I wanted to release R-4, that I don't remember what all has been changed. The included README has a list, but since I don't remember, I'll just have to take my old word for it. Wink I can say that this is definitely the nicest and cleanest release of XDP to date. If you've been using R-3, or ealier, you should definitely give this a try.

I've been wanting to completely revamp the html, but that's a chore I likely won't have time for in the near future, so I'll just say I'd "like" to do it and leave it at that. I say it's probably the final release because I know my track record for DC stuff over the past 2 years has not been good, (heck, even when I was engrossed in it, I was so picky that I didn't make releases like I should have), and my work load is only going to increase in the next couple of weeks, so I'm making no plans for further updates. Also, I've taken the DreamPassport browser about as far as it can go with hex editing, but without changing source code. I have eliminated all bugs to do with me, (which was really just the VMU loading bug), so other than adding more javascript tools, changing graphics/html, or editing links to websites, there's not much left to do. Of course, if a coder wishes to join me on the project... then that changes everything. Otherwise, the only update I'm planning is that I'm thinking of adding score tables to the PSD homepage so if that becomes a reality, I'll need to update the browser's javascript pages to accommodate that. I had started work on that back in '05, but never finished it.

Anyway, to anyone who still cares... I hope you enjoy the release!
http://www.psilocybindreams.com

-Ex

Last edited by Excalibur007 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:38 pm; edited 3 times in total

Maturion
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:20 pm
quote : #2
Type: PAL
Wow! Nice! Thanks! Very Happy

Mazonemayu
rank 27
Posted:
Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:35 pm
quote : #3
thx m8, already got it & now it seems I'm out of cds Mr. Green

Blue Rogues...Attack!!!
lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:46 pm
quote : #4
Hey where can I actually download this new release?
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:44 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
Here is a link to the download: link

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:10 pm
quote : #6
this is good news. i wonder if this version works for email and some other bugs that the old one would no longer work for.
Posted:
Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:18 pm
quote : #7
Thnanks for XPD4 Razz
Posted:
Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:57 pm
quote : #8
gary_b wrote:
this is good news. i wonder if this version works for email and some other bugs that the old one would no longer work for.

Unfortunately, no. Many webmail sites have moved past what the dreamcast browsers are capable of in terms of scripting, css, etc. etc. Also, some email servers are requiring secure logins so the planetweb and dream passport email clients will not be able to connect. If your email server still offers basic POP3 service, then you can login. Examples of email that will not work are hotmail (webmail) and gmail (secure login required).
However, some email sites have an older version of their interface available for people with older browsers. Sometimes they don't advertise this, because they want people using their newest interface only, but if you dig a little deeper, you may find that the email site you want to use has an alternate option.

BTW... it is not a "bug" that dreamcast browsers no longer work for some of these sites/servers, so please don't refer to it as that. It is not Sega's or Planetweb's fault that many sites have not maintained backward compatibility. You have to remember, these browsers are from 2000-2001.

-Ex

P.S. -to all
You're welcome. Very Happy

Last edited by Excalibur007 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:05 pm; edited 3 times in total

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:02 pm
quote : #9
Awesome, thank you Excalibur007.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:26 pm
quote : #10
Excalibur007 wrote:
gary_b wrote:

Unfortunately, no. Many webmail sites have moved past what the dreamcast browsers are capable of in terms of scripting, css, etc. etc. Also, some email servers are requiring secure logins so the planetweb and dream passport email clients will not be able to connect. If your email server still offers basic POP3 service, then you can login. Examples of email that will not work are hotmail (webmail) and gmail (secure login required).
However, some email sites have an older version of their interface available for people with older browsers. Sometimes they don't advertise this, because they want people using their newest interface only, but if you dig a little deeper, you may find that the email site you want to use has an alternate option.

BTW... it is not a "bug" that dreamcast browsers no longer work for some of these sites/servers, so please don't refer to it as that. It is not Sega's or Planetweb's fault that many sites have not maintained backward compatibility. You have to remember, these browsers are from 2000-2001.

-Ex

P.S. -to all
You're welcome. Very Happy
lol sorry, but what i was calling a bug had nothing to do with email. it refers to something i am not aloud to speak of in this area of onlineconsoles. also the issue might not be with the web browser. the annoyance could be on the other end just like with the email issue. how ever planetweb 3.0 seems to work with the other program just fine so idk. but i am sorry for the confusion.
Posted:
Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:48 pm
quote : #11
XDP doesn`t support Russian , so it`s absolutly useless for us - Russian users . Sad Crying or Very sad

fackue
rank 2
Posted:
Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:40 pm
quote : #12
@Excalibur007 - What come inside the mail-ordered disc? Just added videos? What kind of videos?

MasterChief
rank 25
Posted:
Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:44 pm
quote : #13
very cool. i havent burned anything for the DC in a long time, i look forward to it.

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
Excalibur007
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:59 pm
quote : #14
fackue wrote:
@Excalibur007 - What come inside the mail-order disc? Just added videos? What kind of videos?

In addition to the content in the downloadable version, the mail-order disc includes a fully translated/customized Dream Passport Premier, a fully translated Dream Passport 2, a bonus browser, and videos like the Icons Dreamcast episode and many Dreamcast commercials and trailers, (including a couple videos of some prototypes like Max Payne). It also includes a DVD case with a full color insert and a full color printed CD with a polyurethane finish.

You can find most of the videos in other places if you look hard enough, but it's cool to have all these in one place.

However, I will not be available to send out any discs for AT LEAST the next week. I've just finished helping my former boss close his store and move all the merchandise and I am currently opening my own store... so you can imagine the work I'll be doing in the next bit. Also, classes start back on the 25th, so I need to try to get everything setup before then. This is why I wanted to take that short window of opportunity last week to put R-4 together and get it released. I didn't know how long it would be before I'd have freetime again. People can still email me, but I won't be checking or responding right away. I'll respond to everyone once I get things squared away.

In the meantime, feel free to post any questions or issues regarding XDP. I'll try to pop in now and then, but someone is bound to have answers even if I'm not available. But please, for the sake of everyone's time and all that is holy, don't post any questions unless you've first read the Help guide included in the browser. BTW, if you stick the disc in your PC, you can also access the help guide there. If you have autorun enabled, it will pop up a welcome page that makes it simple. If you don't have autorun enabled, just browse the CD and run XDP.EXE.

-Ex

Saturn
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:15 pm
quote : #15
Very nice, i must find some spare CDs..