Page 1 of 1
h4x0r122
rank 1
Posted:
Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:20 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U.C
My dreamcast is located right next to my PC. I dont have a BBA and dont plan on buying one. I havent been playing Dreamcast online for that reason. I want to know if I can plug a telephone cord from my dreamcasts modem to my PC's telephone port. Will that transfer my internet to my Cable Modem?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:37 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Yes it is possible. However it requires setting up a PC-DC server. See here for an extensive guide:

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_pcdcwin98.php

Note: This is a very technical process, and is primarily for those who have a working knowledge of networking and are capable of troubleshooting technical problems on their own.

Also, if you havn't already you may want to take a crash course on our Getting Online guide as well:

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_getonline.php

It will bring you up to speed on the various facets of getting a Dreamcast Online.
Posted:
Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:20 pm
quote : #3
lordnikon wrote:
Yes it is possible. However it requires setting up a PC-DC server. See here for an extensive guide:

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_pcdcwin98.php

Note: This is a very technical process, and is primarily for those who have a working knowledge of networking and are capable of troubleshooting technical problems on their own.

Hey, can you just buy one instead of making it? I've looked at that guide alot, but I really don't think I'm good enough to do the soldering.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:07 pm
quote : #4
Well there are 2 primary parts to that guide. Setting up the PC-DC server itself simply requires just connecting your DC to a PC's 56k modem. Making a line voltage simulator is something that may or may not be required. For my PC-DC server, I use an external 56k modem and I don't need a line voltage simulator at all.

Buying an external 56k USB modem, increases your chances that you won't even have to mess with a line voltage simulator.
Posted:
Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:05 pm
quote : #5
lordnikon wrote:
Well there are 2 primary parts to that guide. Setting up the PC-DC server itself simply requires just connecting your DC to a PC's 56k modem. Making a line voltage simulator is something that may or may not be required. For my PC-DC server, I use an external 56k modem and I don't need a line voltage simulator at all.

Buying an external 56k USB modem, increases your chances that you won't even have to mess with a line voltage simulator.

Great! Can you recommend a good one? Preferably from Amazon?

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:17 am
quote : #6
Gforce wrote:
lordnikon wrote:

Great! Can you recommend a good one? Preferably from Amazon?
yeah nikon what would be a good option here? something not to costly but will work with out making the voltage simulator?

i have a few old PC laying around so now i will need to find windows 98. either one from these PCs or from somewhere else. i put XP on everything. and then a modem and i should be in business.
Posted:
Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:07 pm
quote : #7
The gold standard for external modems is the Dynex 56K External Modem found here. This is the modem I personally use and have been using it for about a year and a half with no issues.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:16 pm
quote : #8
not bad Mytho. its priced right too. i just found a way to get windows 98. someones going to lend me the CD. i should have kept better track of my own. but anyway this seems like a cheap way to go. for about 10 bucks i can use my BB connection for DC gaming.

is 4x4 evo the only game that is still online to not support blind dial? if this PC DC server works for me i would like to do away with my land line.
Posted:
Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:24 pm
quote : #9
I can personally confirm 4x4 Evolution works over the PC-DC server. It is, however, the most temperamental of the games. Be prepared to spend a little time troubleshooting in order to connect. Mad

peens
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:14 pm
quote : #10
Type: NTSC-U
what are the ups/downs of a PC/DC server?

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:44 pm
quote : #11
TheMytho, do you have to use the "line simulator" with your modem? What is the model number on the bottom of it? It should say something like "DX-M300" on the bottom.

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:49 pm
quote : #12
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
TheMytho, do you have to use the "line simulator" with your modem? What is the model number on the bottom of it? It should say something like "DX-M300" on the bottom.

No, I don't need to use the line simulator. I'm going off memory here (don't have my DC or any related paraphernalia here at college), but I'm 95% sure you have the correct model number.

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:19 pm
quote : #13
Darn. I have the same modem and it doesn't connect without the simulator. I think the actual modem in the Dreamcast might determine whether or not the simulator is needed, but since you don't have access to the modem, there's no way of telling. Confused

Posted Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:31 am:

OK, some interesting findings to report. The modem TheMytho found should work fine. It turns out that there are multiple revisions to the Dreamcast modem itself. So far I can confirm that 670-14140B (the number can be found on the sticker on the metal back of the modem case) does not work without the simulator. I can confirm that 670-14140A does work without the simulator. The designs are a lot different towards the back end of board, so it might not be a simple fix to make it supply the right voltage. The revision 'A' board I have specifically says "Modemaru USA," while the revision 'B' board says "Modemaru JPN / USA."

So, just to clarify: 670-14140B needs the simulator and 670-14140A does not need the simulator.

Indiket
rank 2
Posted:
Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:27 pm
quote : #14
Type: PAL
Good to know Wink
As a PAL user, I can confirm the next information.
PAL 33k modems 670-14116A need to have line voltage simulator. Specially, this modem is from a spanish dreamcast (I don't know if other european dreamcast have a different modem serial number).