Page Location: Home > Support > PC-DC Server > Topic
hayato3d
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:42 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I have been trying to set up my PC-DC server for awhile now, and I finally have got things working mostly. I am using Planet Web Dreamcast web browser to connect, and once I press connect, I press allow caller access and apply on the server. It begins to monitor, answers, and then connects.

The problem I have now is that after I connect on Planet Web, it pauses for a bit, and then says "Unable to contact host. Could not look up its name.". I have no idea what could be wrong now. So I am completely lost as for what to do Sad. I also tried connect to a Dreamcast game server, and got pretty much the same message. It would connect, and then afterwards It would say could not find the host.

Anyone I have any idea? I'm not sure where to go from here.

Any help is welcomed!

Thanks!

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:46 pm
quote : #2
Type: Pal
With planet web I think that message can come up anyway as the page does not exist? Did you try entering another website address after that? Are you sure the game server was up?

Laters
Posted:
Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:05 am
quote : #3
Yes I tried accessing google from the browser and got the same message. And the game server was up as well. I'm not really sure what could be causing this Sad

SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:19 pm
quote : #4
The main reason that would come up is because you have a DNS issue. I assume you're using winroute? Which version, lite or Pro?

The first thing to do is check the DNS settings you used when you setup your dreamcast. The guide on this site says to put in 192.168.55.1 but you could try changing that to your ISP's DNS server(s). For windows 98, go to start, run, and type winipcfg. Choose your main internet connection, then more info. Look at the DNS servers. Try using these for your dreamcast.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
hayato3d
rank 1
Posted:
Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:15 pm
quote : #5
I am using Winroute Pro 4.2.5. I just tried inputting the DNS server info of my ISP, and I got the same error message. I went through and checked all my settings on the dreamcast and they all are correct. I did notice that it says "Modem Init: Use the default "AT&F0" (last digit is a zero)" for one of the set up options, but I do not have "Modem Init" as an option in the settings for my PlanetWeb browser.

No idea if that matters or not, but just something I noticied.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:21 pm
quote : #6
Okay, all games aside, have you had a successfull connection to the internet to access web pages? In Planetweb does the little network indicator in the upper right turn green and the cycle between colors trying to load a webpage?

Another recommendation is to turn on "verbose" modem messages in PlanetWeb's configuration. This will give you some indication of what is happening on the Dreamcast as you are connecting.

Are you trying to connect through an internal PCI 56k modem? or an external USB 56k modem?
Posted:
Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:53 pm
quote : #7
I am unable to connect to any websites. When I try to go to google for example, the bar is green and then flashes red in the top 1/4th part of it about 5 times in about 2 second intervals, before giving me the "Unable to contact host" error. Also, the data light indicator on my modem flashes in sync with the green bar in the PlanetWeb broswer.

I turned on verbose messages, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary from what I could tell. It displayed some stuff, and then said connnect, the "CH" and "CD" light on my modem came on, and then the window went away as if connected. Afterwards it sat for about 5 seconds then displayed the host error.

I am using an external 56k modem. This one right here: http://www.dynexproducts.com/pc-494-26-dynex-56k-v92-usb-external-datafax-modem.aspx