Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:11 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I just learned of this the other day. In Street Fighter 3 Third Strike, you can adjust the resolution options to that of the original arcade. The option below you want to use is "240p mode with scanlines". It is rare when a home console arcade port offers these types of options. Pretty sweet!!!

• De-interlaced - After loading the GD-ROM keep pressing the Start button + L button until the Capcom logo appears on the screen.
  • 240p mode with scanlines - After loading the GD-ROM keep pressing the Start button + Y button until the Capcom logo appears on the screen.
  • Normal screen - After loading the GD-ROM keep pressing the Start button + X button until the Capcom logo appears on the screen.

1. 240p mode for scanlines (flawless) - Hold the Start button + L button until the Capcom logo appears on the screen.

2. 240p mode for scanlines + anti-flicker/sprite filter - Hold the Start button + Y button until the Capcom logo appears on the screen.

3. 480i screen, no scanlines + anti-flicker/sprite filter - Normal Bootup

Note: Sites state to Hold the Start button + X button until the Capcom logo appears on the screen, to get option #3. However this is the standard bootup mode for the game, so I don't see why the code is even necessary. You can't get back to the Capcom screen after already booting into the game, so switching back to 480i resolution after you are in 240p is not possible to the best of my knowledge. So, as far as I can tell pressing Start + X does absolutly nothing.

Last edited by lordnikon on Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
Posted:
Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:30 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U
Awesome. I wonder what this would look like with the Dreamcast VGA box? Very Happy

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:27 pm
quote : #3
Yes, this is a very great feature. Too bad it wasn't seen on any other console release of this game. I prefer the DC release rather than the ps2 and Xbox ones even if it's slightly different than the Arcade Ver. A in tournaments
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:50 pm
quote : #4
I prefer the DC one as well mainly because it is capable of displaying the game in true low res because of the Dreamcast's hardware. To get that to work on the PS2 with SF3 Third Strike, they would have to code software to get around the PS2's inability to display native low res right out of the box. I havn't played the PS2 version yet so I don't know how it displays the game, but considering how few fighting games on the PS2 actually display games in 240p, I havn't considered the gamble worth my time yet.

I know Street Fighter III Double Impact runs in 240p by default. Does anyone know if the above sequences also work for that version as well? I will break out my copy to experiment and find out. I did see on a few cheat sites that there were display codes listed for Double Impact. However I figured it could have been a mistake and originally meant for third strike.
Posted:
Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:23 pm
quote : #5
Type: PAL
Thanks for the trick!
Posted:
Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:53 pm
quote : #6
Hey all, please see the root topic again for updated information. I found out other sites had this information listed incorrectly, especially gamefaqs, and since I have a greater understanding of the technology, I have adjusted the info. If you want pixel precise low resolution graphics with scanlines in Street Fighter III Third Strike, you want to use option #1. Do not use option #2 as that retains the image filtering and anti-flicker from the 480i mode rendering the image blurry and out of focus.

I also confirmed that Street Fighter III Double Impact does not have options to bounce the display from its native 240p low resultion up to 480i as I had previously questioned. Which is fine by me as I love 240p with scanlines as it is hehe.

Again these codes will only work on an SDTV.