Page Location: Home > Quake III Arena > Topic
Saturn
rank 11
Posted:
Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:14 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Does anyone happened to have a good idea for a control setup using the DC pad, i have a keyboard and mouse but i feel like its cheating the game a bit, so does anyone have any ideas on what layout on the DC pad is easier?

Thanks.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:09 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
There are 2 primary ways you can setup your controller for fragging on Quake 3 Arena.

The first is to setup your controller in what is called the GoldenEye scheme. Basically, you set the analog stick to walk forward and backwards, and TURN left or right. Then set the colored face buttons to strafe left and right, and then look up and down. So, A & Y would be for aiming up or down, and X & B would be for strafing left or right.

The other method is the one that takes more time to master. If you play a lot of FPS's on controllers with dual analog sticks where you are aiming with the right stick, aiming with the left stick takes some getting used to. Set turning, and aiming up and down to the analog stick, and then walking forward & backward, as well as strafing left & right, to the colored face buttons. This definatly takes some time to get used to, because the face buttons are so far spaced out.

I recommending tweaking the aim sensitivity to your liking, in both of these control schemes.

Also, if you plan on switching back and forth between the mouse and keyboard, or a controller, be sure to configure the controls so that you can pick up both and just play. Each control setting has a slot for the controller and the keyboard so you can have both control schemes saved to the memory card exactly how you want them. It can take some time to configure it all, but its worth getting it all setup right so you aren't reconfiguring everything each time you want to play.
Posted:
Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:16 pm
quote : #3
lordnikon wrote:
The first is to setup your controller in what is called the GoldenEye scheme. Basically, you set the analog stick to walk forward and backwards, and TURN left or right. Then set the colored face buttons to strafe left and right, and then look up and down. So, A & Y would be for aiming up or down, and X & B would be for strafing left or right.

Thats the one you want, don't bother with the other! Wink
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:25 pm
quote : #4
i think setup 1 is the best for pad , aim and turn with the stick and move with A.B.X.Y , jump with L and shoot with R
Posted:
Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:14 am
quote : #5
Spend some time mastering the 2nd method: aim with the stick, and move with the buttons. Do this for two reasons: If you set look to the up/down buttons, then there is no sensitivity. What if you need to look up really quickly, or aim down just the slightest bit? Then having aim set to the stick gives you better control over how far to move the crosshair.

Another good reason to use this setting is: it translates to several other games, such as Outtrigger and Half-Life (and even Halo).

Good Luck!
-Schthack: Asar Zo'am lvl 001
shrap
rank 10
Posted:
Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:43 am
quote : #6
yea i suggest the second method as well and it did translate well for when i got half life. but on a side note i was playing online once with a guy who used the first method and i'm not ashamed to tell you he kicked my but.
Posted:
Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:46 am
quote : #7
Thanks, i'll have to try these methods out later, when i've dug my Cast out of my room.

amcdc79
rank 10
Posted:
Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:09 am
quote : #8
I believe the second control scheme is also the default control scheme for Furfighters and MDK2, a couple of other fine Dreamcast games. Both are a blast to play with MDK2 also being drop dead gorgeous and tough as nails.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:50 am
quote : #9
The thing that will really get under your skin is trying to figure out which of the triggers to assign jump and shooting.. If you want to set the same control scheme for all FPS's you will have to make a compromise since OT and UT only have preset control schemes.
Posted:
Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:06 am
quote : #10
Type: NTSC-U
does anyone else think it would be really awesome to take the joystick off of one controller and mod it into another controller where the buttons are? i have always been wanting to try this, just never got around to it. anyone know if its ever been done, if not i may give it a shot to be the first.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:12 am
quote : #11
Yea one such user actually attempted that with a third party DC controller:

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8117
Posted:
Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:19 am
quote : #12
Type: NTSC-U
pretty snazzy, i would still like to give a shot someday even tho i have a mouse and keyboard. it would be a fun little exercise