1, 2  Next
Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:09 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: Pal
I have a visitor coming in October whos a bit of an expert at RPG's I am thinking of making a purchase or getting a game for them to play whilst they are here as we often do it as kind of a group effort (ideally a turn based RPG game FF style but not FF as I think she beat all of those already). Survival horror is another alternative. Include anything that can be played on the DC not just DC specific games as this does not have to be a DC game I just want the best game to play in 8 days. I already have Skies of arcadia and Crono trigger on Dream snes that can be played on the DC, what ya think? Suggestions then? bear in mind the 8 day time frame Very Happy

Laters

See also: http://gamecube.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=9203#9203

And: http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2973
Posted:
Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:39 pm
quote : #2
Grandia 2 can be played in 8 days, but there won't be time for much else then Mr. Green

also, Evolution 1 & 2 aren't all that long, but you have much replay value in those, coz once you finish, you can play it again with your saved char, to find more rare items

Blue Rogues...Attack!!!
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:45 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
Mazonemayu wrote:
Grandia 2 can be played in 8 days, but there won't be time for much else then Mr. Green

also, Evolution 1 & 2 aren't all that long, but you have much replay value in those, coz once you finish, you can play it again with your saved char, to find more rare items
yeah you pretty much have it covered for turn based.

i guess you could try some of the hack and slash RPGs too. I'm pretty sure you could take on any of these games in 8 days. here is a link to the hack and slash thread http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8641&highlight=hack+slash
Posted:
Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:47 pm
quote : #4
exept Lodoss War, that sucker will take at least +60 hours of your life if you wanna play it correct

Blue Rogues...Attack!!!
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:55 pm
quote : #5
Mazonemayu wrote:
exept Lodoss War, that sucker will take at least +60 hours of your life if you wanna play it correct
me and my brother beat it pretty fast. i cant remember exactly how long but it seemed like it was just over a week. maybe 2 weeks.
Posted:
Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:11 pm
quote : #6
gary_b wrote:
Mazonemayu wrote:

i guess you could try some of the hack and slash RPGs too. I'm pretty sure you could take on any of these games in 8 days. here is a link to the hack and slash thread http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8641&highlight=hack+slash

Grandia 2 and Evolution games, whats the quality of these games like? are these kind of average RPG games or something a bit special? My knowledge of DC RPG's is extremely poor as you can tell Neutral Its not essential to actually get these done in the 8 days, that might be pushing it anyway but something we can at least have a good pop at.

BTW with linking to the 2 other threads I dont mean I want one game for each console I am looking for just one game the best one that fits this purpose on any of the 3 consoles.

Thanks so far

Laters
Posted:
Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:26 pm
quote : #7
Blast wrote:
Grandia 2 and Evolution games, whats the quality of these games like? are these kind of average RPG games or something a bit special? My knowledge of DC RPG's is extremely poor as you can tell Neutral Its not essential to actually get these done in the 8 days, that might be pushing it anyway but something we can at least have a good pop at.

Laters
i have not played evolution 2 but i did complete the first one. it was just ok. but Grandia 2 is one of the RPG must plays for the Dreamcast imo
Posted:
Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:48 pm
quote : #8
Blast wrote:
gary_b wrote:
Mazonemayu wrote:

BTW with linking to the 2 other threads I dont mean I want one game for each console I am looking for just one game the best one that fits this purpose on any of the 3 consoles.

Thanks so far

Laters

I never read a review on Evolution 1 or 2 (mainly 2) higher than a 7/10 in a Game Informer or IGN, but I'll always swear up and down Grandia 2 is a great rpg.

Mazonemayu
rank 27
Posted:
Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:06 pm
quote : #9
Personally I think both Evolutions are great games, despite their limited size/ weps, spells & all; these games must have it of the replay value, every time you enter a dungeon, the map is different, with different enemies & different items. It takes a hell of a long time, just to fill your museum with all the rares you collected, and I'm really not sure, as to how many cyframes (most important weps) there are in the games.

I also totaly love Grandia 2, although its a bit short imo; but it looks & plays excellent

Blue Rogues...Attack!!!
SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:25 pm
quote : #10
I would also like to chime in for the quality of Grandia II. What I especially like is the graphical look of the game. It's stylistic but they pay a great attention to detail. The battle system and upgrading of special moves add a lot to the complexity and skill involved in winning battles.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
Gforce
rank 8
Posted:
Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:26 pm
quote : #11
SEGA RPG FAN wrote:
I would also like to chime in for the quality of Grandia II. What I especially like is the graphical look of the game. It's stylistic but they pay a great attention to detail. The battle system and upgrading of special moves add a lot to the complexity and skill involved in winning battles.

Must....hold back....praise...

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:47 pm
quote : #12
Grandia 2 is looking good with the shortness of it obviously not being a problem. What system was the original Grandia on? Will not having played Grandia effect playing Grandia 2?

Laters
Posted:
Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:54 pm
quote : #13
Blast wrote:
Will not having played Grandia effect playing Grandia 2?

Laters

Nah.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:31 pm
quote : #14
Blast wrote:
Grandia 2 is looking good with the shortness of it obviously not being a problem. What system was the original Grandia on? Will not having played Grandia effect playing Grandia 2?

Laters
not sure all what systems had the first Grandia. i played 2 with out playing the first and didn't have any trouble with it.
Posted:
Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:01 pm
quote : #15
The first Grandia was on the Saturn(Not in America) and PlayStation.