Page 1 of 1
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:35 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
i picked up sonic 3d blast today. i was unaware of this game back when it came out for genesis. i first saw it on the cube. anyway it was also out on saturn.

has anyone played this game? at first i thought it was kinda bad. but after i gave it a chance i ended up liking it. though the game play lacks in some areas the graphics are top notch for genesis. my main gripe was it did not make sense to me at first. after i figured how to play and what to do it was fun.
Posted:
Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:38 am
quote : #2
Aw man, I loved it! I didn't quite understand everyone elses dislike for it though.... The graphics blew me away when I first played it back then on my Genesis to. The only thing I thought was wack was how you couldn't do super Sonic after getting all the chaos emeralds.

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:08 pm
quote : #3
Type: PAL
I loved this game,
It was certainly a grower.
I still think it would take hell of a sonic game to beat
sonic 3 plugged into the sonic and knuckles cart,
but this game is quite nice as its unique and just something
to keep you intered in the sonic series.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:30 am
quote : #4
Its not 3D - thats why I was disapointed - the iso view confused 2 much.
Posted:
Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:25 am
quote : #5
To me it just seemed like a poor attempt to compete with the SNES computer rendered graphic games like Donkey Kong Country and Killer Instinct. Personally, I found the gameplay to be too repetitive. I am still impressed that they were able to put a pre-rendered FMV on a cartridge though. I haven't seen that anywhere else. I would expect that kind of thing on the N64, but the genesis? No way.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
Manji
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:48 pm
quote : #6
the intro fmv is on the genesis version too? wow that's nice! i never played the genesis version, but today i received my copy of sonic 3D blast for the saturn! i played through the first couple of stages and was really impressed with the graphics and sound. sprites are cleanly rendered and the music is great.

DaMan
rank 28
Posted:
Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:18 pm
quote : #7
Played the Saturn version for most the disappoint is about the pace of the game which is kind of slow for something with Sonic in the title, but for anyone who gets past that has a pretty good game to play.
Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:11 pm
quote : #8
I thought the game was pretty fun. I thought it lacked the sensse of speed from the sidescrolling Sonic games, but it ran smoothly and the graphics were bright and clean, and props for trying something new.

I hate to admit it, but I had a lot more fun playing it on the Sonic Mega Collection for the PS2 than I did the actual cartridge on the Genesis. I'm absolutely terrible at Sonic 3D Blast using the D-pad, I'm much better using an analog stick. I haven't tried the Saturn or PC version yet.

Were there any significant differences between the Genesis, Saturn, and PC versions?

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:44 pm
quote : #9
the Saturn version had updated graphics. im not just talking about cleaner looking ones. they added a new look to the stages. also the bonus stages were different. btw is you like the analog controller you might want to try the Saturn version with the nights into dreams controller.
Posted:
Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:56 pm
quote : #10
I'm glad I came back to this thread! I totally forgot how much I loved 3D Blast's music, especially the final boss theme on the Genesis version.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:46 pm
quote : #11
back when i suggested that Einhander should try the Saturn version with the Nights into Dreams 3D analog controller, i wasnt 100% sure that it was even compatible with sonic 3D blast. i have sense obtained the 3D controller with Nights, so i figured i would test sonic 3D blast with it. i am happy to report that the game works excellent with the 3D controller. personally i would rather use the normal Saturn controller though.
Posted:
Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:41 pm
quote : #12
I personally like the Genesis version of Sonic 3D Blast more than the Saturn version, because the music in the Genesis version is way better, but don't get me wrong the Saturn as a few tracks that I like, but I just like the soundtrack as a whole in the Genesis version. The Genesis version also has better colors than in the Saturn version, however the Saturn has a much better special stages and cutscenes. I just like the Genesis version because this version is way more colorful, and in my opinion has the better soundtrack.

I also heard that the PC version was much like the Saturn version except for the special stage. The special stage in the PC version is like a cross between the Genesis version and the Saturn version.

Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp_q5FrMoz8

Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9x9KXvupYE

Sonic 3D Blast (PC):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9JNiv1FWd8