It is very unique and innovative.
JSR still seems so fresh and new even today because
it stands out from the crowd.

It is also very well produced in the form that
it combines a happy mood and sinister sections without
seeming cheesy.

p.s. the sountrack for this game is killer
you have old school rap from the likes of jurrasic 5,
alongside upbeat electronic rock from guitar vader.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
Stonefreeze
unknown
Posted:
Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:21 am
quote : #3
profile : pm
JSR was a great game for the Dreamcast. I beat it several years ago, and let me say I had a blast. The main draw of the story is to find out what's going wrong in the city. Along the way you'll recruit characters, spray graffitti, avoid the cops, compete in races, all while listening to great music. I like spraying the graffitti, as you could make you own, but you have to actually do movements while spraying with the analog. Personally, as lozz stated, this is a great game. It's something you have to experience if you missed out. And yes, I believe this game is better than the sequel that came out.

Gforce
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:06 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
I lent this shit out to a "friend" and he gave it back to me scratched to HELL Evil or Very Mad . I wanted the slap the dumb look off his face when I asked him to explain the bad care he took with it...

Great game though and it has a really cool soundtrack to. It's gotta be good if it influenced so many other cel-shaded games...

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:20 pm
quote : #5
Type: PAL
I beat it a year or two ago
and it seemed to take quite a while at the time.
If you use all the extras such as making your own spray
and re-do some of the missions to better yourself
the game can last quite a while.
Especially on your first time round as it takes
a little while to get used to everything.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
Jimyerk2k
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:32 pm
quote : #6
it's one of the best games on the dreamcast. The graphics are simply amazing, the gameplay is solid. This game also features the best soundtrack of any game (besides rpgs) if you own a Dreamcast you owe it to yourself to get it.
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:20 am
quote : #7
i own jet grind/set radio. i was a bit shocked that i didn't care for it. i really liked other skating type games. all in all the game is not bad, it just was not for me. not that there is anything bad about skating around spraying graffiti all over the place. but i prefer skaters with lots of tricks and combos.

i would still recommend this game to any DC owner. its worth checking out and its not very expensive. so if you end up not liking it you won't be out much money.
Posted:
Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:23 am
quote : #8
I would never in a million years lump Jet Set Radio in with "extreme sports" games. Jet Set Radio on the Dreamcast has a lot of arcade traits in it. This is one reason why the game has such a high level of replay value, and what makes it unique. At first glance people assume that since there are rollerblades involved, it is all about tricks and combos and such. Which simply isn't the case.

Jet Set Radio's gameplay centers around the following elements:

• A timer which runs down as you play
  • Chaining jumps and grinds
  • Graffiti applied by analog stick motions
  • Life Bar

All of these factor into a "hi-score" for the level. This sets the bar for perfection high enough to warrent multiple play throughs. Hitting all of the graffiti spots and traversing the level chaining your grinds, while not losing any life all under the set time limit, is very challenging.

Also the fact that you actually have to follow on-screen motions with the analog stick to spray graffiti, is what makes the game so awesome. You can even do them faster if you know what you are doing, thus helping your hi-score because it is saving you time.
Posted:
Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:12 pm
quote : #9
It is my favorite Dreamcast game, although I hated it when I first got it. There are some things in the game that seem really cheap when you first play (like when a car hits you and it drags you out of the stage Evil or Very Mad) but once you learn how to play good it's great overall.

GrooveyDisco
rank 6
Posted:
Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:45 pm
quote : #10
Having now got this game for Dreamcast and played it a bit with Lozz i can safely say that its pure awesome i just can't emphasize how good the gameplay is and the sweet soundtracks within it. Awesome fun. Shocked Very Happy

DJShrimpy
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:44 pm
quote : #11
That's a bit much from just one day with the game. Neutral Anyway, after you play it to death you could import the US version (Jet Grind Radio) for the extra stages and music.

GrooveyDisco
rank 6
Posted:
Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:53 pm
quote : #12
I feel like I'm playing an older tony hawk game with the music guess I'll enjoy getting the soundtrack eventually just need some more funds lol.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:12 pm
quote : #13
I was under the impression that we were taking about JSR or JGR in general. I thought the PAL version was based on the US version, yet it simply changed its name to that of the Japanese one again. Is the PAL version a direct localized port of the Jet Set Radio released in Japan?
Posted:
Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:24 pm
quote : #14
The PAL version is a direct port of the Jet Set Radio released in Japan although there was a re-release of Jet Set Radio in Japan due to bugs in the game reported by the public. This was called Deluxe Jet Set Radio. The text in the game depends on the language settings of the console your using i.e. it will display English text if its a Japanese game but the voices will still remain Japanese.

Posted Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:25 am:

It will be English text if your consoles language settings are set to English.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:30 pm
quote : #15
Yea I am aware of the differences between Jet Set Radio, Jet Grind Radio, and De La Jet Set Radio. However I always figured the PAL version was the same as the US version. So is the PAL version a direct port of the Japanese origin? or is it like a half-step between the JP and US version?