1, 2  Next
Jimyerk2k
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:28 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
When they cost around 150-200

I convinced three people, they fell in love with them I might add. I was a little Sega salesman Mr. Green
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:38 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
i convinced my cousin to get one. Very Happy his kids play it most of the time. they love ooga booga and power stone 2.
Posted:
Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:50 am
quote : #3
I convinced a friend of mine who had a Dreamcast in his closet to tear it out and begin playing it again.

He now visits this site too Cool

Mazonemayu
rank 27
Posted:
Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:56 am
quote : #4
I convinced 2 friends back then, one still plays it every now & then (mostly when I'm around Mr. Green )

Blue Rogues...Attack!!!
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:13 am
quote : #5
Way back in 2003-2004 during the year OC started I was an active user at GameSpot. They started up these things called "Unions". So I started up the Dreamcast union, thinking it would be good to project the Dreamcast into the mainstream more so people could learn about it.

This all backfired, and since then I have a very different perspective on how to inform people about the Dreamcast.

I feel trying to convince or persuade others to check out the Dreamcast is damaging. Y run the risk of convincing someone who is not in the same position as you are to appreciate the Dreamcast and what it has to offer. They can mistreat and manhandle the gift you are trying to bestow upon them. This is exactly what happened to me. At the time I was talking a lot about Chaos Field on the Dreamcast. It had just been released. A user there imported Chaos Field from Japan. He played it for a week... and then... he ended up trading the goddamn thing into GameStop. This really hit me hard. I was responsible for basically taking a great import Dreamcast shooter, and having it sent through the meat grinder. I shut the Union down and basically ceased posting at all mainstream game communities.

Another reason some people convince those around them to get interested in a console is for selfish reasons. To feel more secure about their own hobby they need to convince everyone else around them to be interested in it as well.

These days I am very carefull about how I inform others about the Dreamcast. Sometimes at my old job I would get into discussions with this one guy who also played games. However all he played was mainstream stuff. I rarely even brought up video games with him, since I knew he played other things and the stuff I was playing was Border Down, Lack of Love, Starlancer, etc etc. I think too many people in this situation would feel the need to preach to the person about the Dreamcast. Which isn't really the best move to take.

Everyone should take an honest look at themselves to see what it took for them to get into the Dreamcast and stick with it all of this time. I am guessing that most everyone here was not persuaded or convinced, but rather sought out more information about the Dreamcast because of their genuine interest in Video Games. So I think people just naturally gravitate towards this stuff on their own, and convincing others to get onto the Dreamcast bandwagon is rarely successfull.
Posted:
Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:50 am
quote : #6
i agree with you nikon. in my case i convinced someone to get back into dreamcast. in fact my cousin and i went in half's on our first dreamcast. we were roommates and when i moved out we had to get rid of it. seeing that only one of us could take it. and neither of us could afford to buy the other out at the time. it was easier to get cash and split it. so i told him how i was collecting and playing Dreamcast games again. it wasn't hard to convince him to buy another one. he sent me the money and i picked everything up for him and shipped it.
Posted:
Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:43 pm
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:
I am guessing that most everyone here was not persuaded or convinced, but rather sought out more information about the Dreamcast because of their genuine interest in Video Games. So I think people just naturally gravitate towards this stuff on their own, and convincing others to get onto the Dreamcast bandwagon is rarely successfull.

Both of those statements are very true for me. PSO is what really what got me going. I read reviews for it, visited message boards and looked at screenshots. I decide I wanted to play it and the only way I could was with a Dreamcast. This was about the time that they started the drastic price cuts on everything and I figured it wouldn't hurt if I checked it out. Once over the hurdle of buying the system I steadily expanded my interest with the system.

Over the ensuing years I interested a few people in the Dreamcast. For a while you could get them for $20 around me. I believe only one of those people still has their Dreamcast and pays it any attention once in a while.

The lesson to be learned: It's easier and more rewarding to seek others out with the same interest rather than trying to instill that interest in others. They in all likelihood will never appreciate it to the same degree you do. If you continually try to push your interests on others you will end up very frustrated. If someone does show interest, encourage it but don't go nuts and tell them to go buy a Dreamcast right now, tell them where to get one, tell them all the great stuff about it and so on. Let them find out for themselves.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
Manji
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:54 pm
quote : #8
i agree that the dreamcast sells itself. back when it came out, i didn't have to convince anybody since it was very popular with everyone i knew from the time it came out until long after production stopped. i can't remember dc ever losing popularity until the game stores started to minimize shelf space. even then, it was still supported as a cheaper, yet quality alternative.

Jimyerk2k
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:28 pm
quote : #9
lordnikon wrote:
W
I feel trying to convince or persuade others to check out the Dreamcast is damaging.

I think this is true if you pursue it too aggressively, it can damage a friendship or leave a bad taste in their mouth about the system. But most people (videogamers of course) that I lived around with didn't even know what a dreamcast was. So I just took it as an opportunity to show them some cool games to them, and most people liked it when I showed it to them. If they didn't that was cool too. (I would never give them games though)

lordnikon wrote:
Another reason some people convince those around them to get interested in a console is for selfish reasons. To feel more secure about their own hobby they need to convince everyone else around them to be interested in it as well.

At the time i just tried to show people a system they didn't even know about, I felt it deserved mainstream gamer attention because the dreamcast is some great gaming hardware. Even though i would have been fine being the only person in my school who experienced the dreamcast, I would feel selfish having all the Dreamcast pleasure to myself.

These days I don't try to "convert" people because it's pretty pointless, because most "gamers" today are those Frat boys, with the newest systems that only buy games that sell well. I have come to realize that most people make average decisions because most people are average. Most people won't try something different because they want to be like everyone else.

Also for your friend who traded in chaos field...what an idiot!
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:33 am
quote : #10
Jimyerk2k wrote:
These days I don't try to "convert" people because it's pretty pointless, because most "gamers" today are those Frat boys, with the newest systems that only buy games that sell well. I have come to realize that most people make average decisions because most people are average. Most people won't try something different because they want to be like everyone else.
ha yeah this is very true. but back in the beginning the Dreamcast did sell pretty good. it was even in Guinness for the most systems sold in some time period, i forget if it was for so many sold in a day , week, month, year or what. this was the Guinness millennium addition, i think.
Posted:
Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:16 pm
quote : #11
Type: Pal
No I never convinced anyone to buy a Dreamcast. At the time I first bought one for the wife primarily everyone I knew was waiting for the release of the PS2. There were pods everywhere for Dreamcast we even had them at our 5-a-side football club and my mates played them and thought it was great. Problem was hype about the PS2 was so great after the PS1 mega success people just looked at the DC pods and thought if the DC is this good the PS2 will be how good? No one knew disliked the DC pods they just all waited for the PS2.

Laters
Posted:
Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:48 am
quote : #12
I didn't not DIRECTLY convince my friend to buy one, however, one of my good friends use to come over to my place and we'd play it (expendable) for hours on end. We both had very similiar gaming preferences, so the fact that each of us were so into just about every DC game (and every game I bought more specifically) proved to provide us with a lot of great times. After coming over my house pretty much every day after school and playing for a couple months, he decided to buy his own.

So, Here we were 9 years later, and although he and I are at opposite colleges, we both have our DCs with us. Since he lives in a house with 4 other dudes, they have 1v1 tournaments for sega tennis 2k2 quite often. It's good to know all thoseyears of playing expendable, power stone, and every other game with multiplayer paid off. ^^
Posted:
Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:23 am
quote : #13
All it took was bring my dreamcast over to a friends house once and the next week he had saved enough to buy one himself. He never was into it as much as me. And only stuck to a few games (pso, grandia and Shenmue) but I will tell you that he hold all three of those close to his heart. We both took it pretty hard when shenmue 2 wasn't coming out for the dreamcast. We bought xbox's just to play it.
Posted:
Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:54 am
quote : #14
Shocked would've been cheaper to buy a PAL copy

Blue Rogues...Attack!!!
Nitrospark
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:08 pm
quote : #15
Type: PAL
Got talking about the DC at work last week with a colleague that used to have one, he now tells me he spent the weekend trying to get one off Ebay!