Page 1 of 2
Saturn
rank 11
Posted:
Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:33 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
I recently brought Planet Ring a few months back or maybe a year ago when i went mad on buying new things for my Dreamcast, and this was before i found this community or even knew that Planet Ring was offline, i felt like such an idiot when i found out,

But anyways, it arrived nice, the Planet Ring box was a bit battered but the Game case was still in its factory seal which was nice, but one thing i noticed which came with it was the Dreamcast Microphone, which hooks into the Dreamcast Controller slots and has like a microphone attachment, why am i explaining it when most of you guys may already have one?

But anyways, since Planet Ring is not online anymore, i was just wondering what can the Dreamcast Microphone be used for today? or what was it used for back in the day?

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:00 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
The microphone can still be used for Seaman and somewhat for Mr. Driller (you can say "Drill" (or just make a loud noise)) and he will drill. The microphone can also be used for Dreamcall if the service still works. It's also possible to use it for homebrew applications if any ever make use of the attachment.

The microphone was primarily used for Seaman and Dreamcall, however some games like Alien Front Online had in game voice chat. Propeller Arena was also going to have that functionality.

Gforce
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:12 pm
quote : #3
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
The microphone can still be used for Seaman and somewhat for Mr. Driller (you can say "Drill" (or just make a loud noise)) and he will drill.
I can just picture myself going "braaaaa!!" into the microphone.

DJShrimpy
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:16 pm
quote : #4
Konami Laser Scope comes to mind. Rolling Eyes

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:09 pm
quote : #5
all i ever used mine for was seaman. i should start another aquarium. i never did get my seaman to walk on land. Sad
Posted:
Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:21 am
quote : #6
So was there any other games besides Alien Front Online that had voice chat?

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:26 am
quote : #7
Saturn wrote:
So was there any other games besides Alien Front Online that had voice chat?
Propeller Arena was suppose to. i wonder if any JPN games supported it?
Posted:
Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:49 am
quote : #8
Kiteretsu Boys Gangagan to name one, its a pokemonesque rpg thats semi mic controlled (one of the many japanese games that had its own special vmu like the godzilla games)

I have yet to figure out how it exactly works, but since the voice control part is in japanese...

Blue Rogues...Attack!!!
Saturn
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:57 am
quote : #9
I just read somewhere that Quakue 3 also could?

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:14 pm
quote : #10
Saturn wrote:
I just read somewhere that Quakue 3 also could?
news to me. can anyone confirm it working? i checked my manual and the back of the game case. i do not see any mic function support.
Posted:
Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:46 pm
quote : #11
Quake 3 is definatly not compatible with the mic. Q3 was a super high profile online game. Had it had mic support the feature would have been advertised to death. Plus.... can Q3 matches really handle voice ontop of the amount of data it is already sending for a 4 player DM game? I think not. It would be lag-o-rama. Laughing
Posted:
Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:53 pm
quote : #12
I must of been smoking something when i thought of that, god knows were i read it from.

Dreamcast4ever
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:40 am
quote : #13
Type: NTSC-U
Oh SEGA, so many cool ideas ahead of your time. So many missed opportunities. R.I.P.
Posted:
Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:03 pm
quote : #14
Type: Pal
It could also be used for making videos with the Dreameye Very Happy The dreameye comes with its own head set but you could still use the one that comes with Planet ring or AFO if you wanted.

IN planet ring 2 of the games had voice chat, Dreamdorobo and Splash. If you search the site theres a thread that links to youtube videos of online planet ring games. Its in past online games.

Laters
Posted:
Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:00 pm
quote : #15
Mazonemayu wrote:
Kiteretsu Boys Gangagan to name one, its a pokemonesque rpg thats semi mic controlled (one of the many japanese games that had its own special vmu like the godzilla games)

I have yet to figure out how it exactly works, but since the voice control part is in japanese...

I think you have these games mixed up here. Kiteretsu Boy's Gan Ga Gan is a board game. The pokemonesque game that had its own VMU was Cho Hatsumei Boy Kanipan Wink