Page 1 of 2
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:33 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
i bought a Saturn today for $34. i got 1 controller and all the hookups, as for games i got College Jam and a demo disc. the stupid thing about College Jam is they don't have a tag mode option like in NBA jams. if you want to play 1 player your stuck with a computer player as a teammate. if anyone knows a way to turn that off let me know.

what games are good for Saturn? i know about panzer dragoon. i have played sega rally and clock works knights 2. i would like a good adventure game or a hack n slash RPG, any ideas?
Posted:
Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:22 pm
quote : #2
I had been giving U-235 some recommendations as well, since he just got a Sega Saturn. So I took that information and turned it into a new sticky topic which you can find here:

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8851

Some of the very first games I recommend that you buy are Panzer Dragoon 1 & 2, NiGHTS, and Virtua Fighter 2.
Posted:
Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:47 pm
quote : #3
lordnikon wrote:
*Note: The Japanese versions of Daytona CCE and Sega Rally are superior.
what are the differences?

i see you listed 3 Panzer Dragoons what one is the best?
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga

one last thing are any of these a hack n slach RPG by chance?
Posted:
Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:20 pm
quote : #4
gary_b wrote:
lordnikon wrote:
*Note: The Japanese versions of Daytona CCE and Sega Rally are superior.
what are the differences?

The US version of Sega Rally is missing some on screen displays, sound effects and even some in-game background images. The US version is still good, but the Japanese version is superior.

Supposedly the US version of Daytona USA had adjusted handling, and much of the arcade Daytona music was replaced with altered versions. Plus it has some wierd alternate opening theme. So basically large music differences, rather than anything graphical. The Japanese version has the same tracks as the US version, but also has all of the original music tracks in addition to it, which you can switch to from the options menu.

gary_b wrote:
i see you listed 3 Panzer Dragoons what one is the best?
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga

Asking which one is the best, is like, I can't even answer that question my mind draws a complete blank. You have to play them all. They are each amazing games, and should be played IN ORDER OF RELEASE. Panzer Dragoon 1 & 2 are both rail shooters. Meaning that, the game moves you forward, and you aim around the screen shooting enemies. The camera can be adjusted to shoot from the front, back, and sides. Also your aiming controls your dragons position as well allowing you to dodge some enemy shots. Panzer Dragoon Saga however is a 20+ hour RPG based on the world of Panzer Dragoon. The game comes on 4 discs. It is an incredible gaming experience that you should set time aside for. Do not take it for granted. The game is a compelling masterpiece and will be one of the most memorable games you ever play. Just remember to play the other Panzer Dragoon games first. This shouldn't be a problem really considering Panzer Dragoon Saga goes for over $175.00 regularly.

gary_b wrote:

Not that I know of. The Saturn was very hard to program for. Most of the RPG's on the saturn are more traditional in nature.
Posted:
Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:48 pm
quote : #5
lordnikon wrote:
They are each amazing games, and should be played IN ORDER OF RELEASE

I second that. Each subsequent game references the ones before it and they were released in chronological order of the story. If you can play all three on the Saturn and then play Orta on the Xbox it will be an amazing experience. Orta makes many references near the end of the game to Saga. Therefore if you haven't played Saga it will all be lost on you.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:58 pm
quote : #6
SEGA RPG FAN wrote:
lordnikon wrote:
They are each amazing games, and should be played IN ORDER OF RELEASE

I second that. Each subsequent game references the ones before it and they were released in chronological order of the story. If you can play all three on the Saturn and then play Orta on the Xbox it will be an amazing experience. Orta makes many references near the end of the game to Saga. Therefore if you haven't played Saga it will all be lost on you.
i haven't played any of them yet. i saw sega made one for the game gear too. where does it fit in?

i picked up Daytona USA and Road Rash today. the guy sold them to me complete for $5 each. not sure if that's a good price or not? i know very little about Saturn games.
Posted:
Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:45 am
quote : #7
Type: PAL
Panzer Dragoon Saga is one of the best games released by sega. period.
I was never fortunate to own or teh play the whole games as all I could afford was the demo disc (First quarter of the game).
Its a shame because I really wanted to get the game to play it, where as people paying £100 upwards for it on eBay were probably going to put it in cellophane and slap it in their collection display.

When I had my Saturn about 3 years ago I built up a fair bit of knowledge and got a fair few games, The times I most enjoyed on it were playing the likes of Manx TT superbike, Sonic Jam, Virtua Cop 2 (with gun) and the panzer dragoon saga demo.
I used to buy games anywhere from around £2 up to probably £8,£10. However there much more expensive games which I couldn't afford.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:32 pm
quote : #8
gary_b wrote:

would shining wisdom count as hack and slash?
rank 37
Posted:
Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:46 pm
quote : #9
kingbuzzo wrote:
gary_b wrote:

would shining wisdom count as hack and slash?
from what i read it is pretty close. mostly people consider it to be action RPG. but that is close enough for me. all i really wanted was an RPG that is not turn based. thanks kingbuzzo, i will have to keep an eye out for this one.
Posted:
Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:58 am
quote : #10
Type: PAL
I really liked shining force 3, lots of fun. My only problem was that I couldn't work out how to save... which isn't fun when you've played through the first three hours of the game and don't know where to stop!
rank 20
Posted:
Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:25 am
quote : #11
mcmonkey wrote:
My only problem was that I couldn't work out how to save

Did you ever figure it out? (If you didn't go talk to the priest)
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
Manji
rank 6
Posted:
Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:04 pm
quote : #12
the problem with panzer dragoon saga is it's so expensive, i'll never be able to play it. or at least anytime remotely considered soon.

gary_b wrote:
what games are good for Saturn? i know about panzer dragoon. i have played sega rally and clock works knights 2. i would like a good adventure game or a hack n slash RPG, any ideas?

first i would recommend getting an action replay. i recently purchased one from play asia and it's been doing well so far, although not quite perfect. saturn has a lot of great imports. i'll try to name a few: Dungeons & Dragons Collection, Princess Crown, Guardian Heroes (released in pal region and u.s. too), Akumajo Dracula X: Gekka no Yasoukyoku (or more commonly known as Castlevania Symphony of the Night over here), Silhouette Mirage. all of those fall into adventure, hack n slash rpg territories both loosely and literally but unfortunately good saturn imports can be expensive.

also, if you do get an action replay, know that it wont work with every game. i got king of fighters '95 and it requires the cartridge that comes with the game to be played. in this example you would need a japanese saturn or region switch to play it.

another good adventure game would be good old tomb raider. maybe dark savior which i recently bought as well. the battle system in that game is kind of weak but it's a good looking game. if you like clockwork knight, try astal. mega man 8, X3 or X4, resident evil. the Saturn has a lot of choices, more than i can name right now.

Mazonemayu
rank 27
Posted:
Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:50 am
quote : #13
as far as its a hack n slash rpg, I always had a soft spot for Legend Of Oasis/The Story Of Thor

also, Layer Section is still a good shmup imo Mr. Green

Blue Rogues...Attack!!!
Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:24 am
quote : #14
I recently got ahold of MegaMan X4 for the Saturn, and it's pretty awesome, even though I suck at MegaMan games. It seems sort of weird to track down the Saturn version of X4 when I likely could have gotten ahold of the MegaMan X Collection for the PS2 at the same price, but I dig the Saturn controller.

I fired up Tomb Raider last night. It had been a while since I had played the original, but I was surprised that I remembered the level layouts, enemy locations, and secrets like I had played it yesterday. I am in the Cistern right now, shooting up Pierre Dupont and finding rusty keys like there is no tomorrow.

I know I risk execution for saying this, but I wasn't a huge fan of Panzer Dragoon. I don't really like rail shooters, but I can tell it is an impressive game. You don't have to like something to appreciate it, I guess. I was lucky and got ahold of a demo for the original game in it's cardboard sleeve, and a disc only copy of Zwei for a good price though, so at least I didn't pay a lot of money for them before realizing they weren't for me. I haven't played Panzer Dragoon Saga yet, but I want to someday. If anyone is interested, I would be up for trading the Panzer Dragoon Demo and Zwei for other Saturn games.

If you can, you should track down copies of Duke Nukem 3D and Quake. Duke Nukem is pretty fun (although it is sadly outclassed by the PS1 version), but it does feature NetLink support, and with a Quake savegame on your system you can play DeathTank. Quake is a really good port of the PC version, although it lacks multiplayer. There are Saturn specific bonus levels, though.

DeathTank is pretty much a real time version of Scorched Earth, with each player attacking each other's tanks for points, which they use to buy weapon/armor/tank upgrades in between matches. It is the best party game I have ever played, and I haven't even been able to track down multitap, so I have only been able to play it with 2 people.

Eventually I'm going to have to track down a RAM cart so I can get Metal Slug, do any of the 4-in-1 or 5-in-1 carts feature directsave, or is it all backup only? Saving to the system and then transferring it to the cart wouldn't be that big of a deal I guess, but it would be nice to have a way to save it directly, and I think there are games like Hexen that require a cart, since the size of a game save is larger then the save space that is available on the Saturn itself.

Manji
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:32 pm
quote : #15
i have the Action Replay Plus (4 in 1) and it acts as backup only, no direct save.

to play metal slug you can either track down a ram cart or saturn games that require 1meg ram cart have it packed in with the game usually. metal slug, for instance, has two versions. one with the ram cart which comes in a box with the game and one w/out a ram cart and in a standard saturn jewel case.

yea, and any of the Netink-capable games are really fun. i should know, i play them with others through Netlink itself (yes it still works!). there are 5 games: Virtual-On, Duke Nukem 3D, Saturn Bomberman, Sega Rally and Daytona Netlink edition. if you ever get a netlink and one of the games, i'd be happy to play some old school direct dial 2-player fun.