1, 2  Next
The Downer
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:12 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
So, i just stumbled upon this website last week (I was looking into PSO stuff, I want to play it online again), and this site said i could play quake III still. So I did what any DC fanatic would do and try and play it. Sure enough i signed on just fine to find one player. I joined the game expecting a game of quake but what I got in return was a player whom warped around and had a gun that when shot, did the same. It was very unpleasing and so I left.

The reason why i posted this was if anyone else but hackers played online? Crying or Very sad
Posted:
Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:16 pm
quote : #2
What are you using to connect to Quake 3? Are you using a Free dialup ISP? A real ISP that you pay for? or a Broadband Adapter? The player warping is usually due to lag and not hacking. I have never run into a hacker or a cheater on Dreamcast Quake 3 before. Also, what server were you playing on?
Posted:
Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:33 pm
quote : #3
Dial up I pay for.(not lucky enough to have BBA) It's not lag, when the guy shot his gun, it was a thick, gray line that would warp me to another part of the level. I'm not sure what server it was on, I just picked on that had people. It wasn't one of these OC servers though, it was just a server on there when I connected. Unless OC runs the servers now? I'm not sure I just registered to this site.
Posted:
Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:54 pm
quote : #4
yea its just a simple rail gun mod thats all.
not a hack or anything like that.

Last edited by JTxBallAx on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xbox live: JTKallDay
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:13 pm
quote : #5
Ahh yea, it is not lag then. As JTxBallAx says, that is a mod. One unique thing about Quake 3 on the Dreamcast, is that you can run server side mods. Things like Freeze Tag, Rail Instagib, etc etc. The Gray line you were seeing was probobly the shottie mod. It combines multiple weapon shots into one. So you have the Rail, Shotgun and Rocket Launcher shots all firing at once. The problem is people run this mod on maps where these weapons are missing. This is why you are seeing the grey distortion. Since certain maps don't have those weapons, you get missing textures as a result.

So it wasn't hacking or lag you were experiencing, but a server side game mod Wink
Posted:
Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:12 pm
quote : #6
Ballin'! Makes me a bit more happy about hooking up the DC again. I was pretty discouraged when they shut the servers down back in '03 and was excited to hear some were still up. Thank you for the information fellas, I hope to see you online.

On a side note, I'm extremely happy I found this website. It seems the DC hasn't died in many peoples heart. Very Happy
Posted:
Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:58 pm
quote : #7
I like that mod. The more you warp someone then you'll end up getting some square bombs. Also a mod. Those bombs if they touch you. You'll end up dying in one hit!. I believe it's 5 or 3 bombs per 3 or so warps. Haven't played online in a while.

I was going to take it online couple night ago after playing Resident Evil 3. Lolz I was scared so decided to just play some quake to lose the scare. I couldn't log it >.> i forgot my password and was to lazy to look it up. So i didn't.

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:11 pm
quote : #8
@ Metal Hedgehog - grenades - you ll get grenades - and I realy hate them Mr. Green
You get them after evry PERFECT - ''simple'' rail the targets without a missed place shoot.
Posted:
Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:32 pm
quote : #9
Yeah, I remember I use to play a lot with you gru. You always use to beat me. Then you'd go for a smoke after couple games. Razz We should play again sometime.

Cyberdemonbfg
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:17 pm
quote : #10
He was in a zappy mod for a rail shot transport and ya it's 5 gernades for the impressive or excellent.
Posted:
Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:01 am
quote : #11
The Downer wrote:
Ballin'! Makes me a bit more happy about hooking up the DC again. I was pretty discouraged when they shut the servers down back in '03 and was excited to hear some were still up. Thank you for the information fellas, I hope to see you online.

On a side note, I'm extremely happy I found this website. It seems the DC hasn't died in many peoples heart. Very Happy

This is what I felt like back in '07 when I first discovered OC...
Posted:
Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:37 am
quote : #12
Type: NTSC-U
this happened to me when i was playing yesterday. it is rather strange looking. the mod that is.

brmanuk
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:06 am
quote : #13
I played QIII online for the first time in about 3 years the other day and found the experience quite discouraging. I'm not sure what server I was on, but the dude I was playing against had the ability to 'warp' to other areas of the map (a little dialog would pop up when he did it saying "Where has xxxx gone?" or something like that). He also had lock-on rockets. Is this a mod too? It was almost impossible to play Sad

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:47 am
quote : #14
There is an actual pickup item in Quake 3 called "teleport" that is a big letter T, that lets you zap yourself to a random location in the map. It is a 1 use per posession item.

I doubt the user had lockon rockets. He was probobly just very good.

I have never seen a user on DC Quake 3 servers cheat. Next time you are on though, and you encounter something you are note sure of what it is, definatly remember the server name... that way we can sign on to see what type of server mods may be in place on that server. Wink
Posted:
Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:10 am
quote : #15
Hmmm, the teleport item makes sense, although he seemed to use it very often.

He defiantly had lock on rockets though. When he shot, a message would pop up saying "XXXX (name of player)'s rocket has locked on" or words to that effect at the top of the screen. Then the rocket would turn round corners etc and kill me!

Sadly I can't remember the name of the server, but it was quite unique. If I saw it again I could possibly identify it.