Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
peens
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:03 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U
This is an old prototype controller sega thought up during the making of dreamcast, it looks familiar. anyone ever see this before?

ADMIN NOTE TO ALL: This thread should remain 100% focused only the controllers' context with the Dreamcast console. Discussing any other console in this thread, especially future generation systems specifically will result in the unfortunate closure of this thread. -Thank You

Saturn
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:04 am
quote : #2
Type: PAL
Yeah i've seen this before, its interesting that SEGA made alot of things for the Dreamcast that are now used in gaming today.
PSO: Saturn

Selling my Dreamcast Broadband Adapter, contact me via private message if you are interested
lisalover1
rank 4
Posted:
Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:40 am
quote : #3
I heard about this. It just shows you how revolutionary the Dreamcast was! Smile

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:17 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
I have multiple import magazines which feature this controller, along with detailed images and drawings of many prototype Dreamcast controllers. I want to get the text translated at somepoint to find out what the designers are saying in relation to each image. It would be itneresting to read about what their ideas were for such a remote shaped controller. I think there are some obvious implications here, like aiming and controlling stuff on the screen, but maybe they had some other ideas as well.

Also, my guess is that this controller was specifically based on light gun technology, due to the almost cave like entrance at the front of the controller.
Posted:
Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:47 am
quote : #5
So it has been stated that its just not a controller? just a controller/gun thing?

Selling my Dreamcast Broadband Adapter, contact me via private message if you are interested
HuBBsDoctor
rank 6
Posted:
Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:55 am
quote : #6
Type: NTSU-U
yeah hurry up and get that translated Nikon. I want to kow what Sega was thinking and planning to do with this. Maybe it was part of the dreamcast dvd add-on.
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:10 pm
quote : #7
It doesn't look like a DVD remote to me?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:15 pm
quote : #8
HuBBsDoctor wrote:
yeah hurry up and get that translated Nikon. I want to kow what Sega was thinking and planning to do with this. Maybe it was part of the dreamcast dvd add-on.

Unfortunatly it is going to be a while. I do not know japanese, so what I have to do is use an IME pad in word, to transcribe the letters using a pen tablet one by one. I have been using this for some game translation stuff, but to enter in each charcter by drawing them in an having the PC recognize them takes some time. When OCR readers become more efficient at transcribing asian character sets, then I may be able to do it sooner.
Posted:
Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:15 pm
quote : #9
Type: NTSU-U
Thats sounds lke an insanely fun and long way to translate things. lol Hmmm I have a friend who knows a little japanese. I'll ask her tomarrow if she can read kanji and she if she would like to help you out..
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:38 am
quote : #10
I just found it rather intruiging to see yet ANOTHER major feat. in Dreamcast technology, even if it was a prototype. Its my favorite thing to see what the dreamcast was capable of, and then pondering why it wasn't such a bigger success. I think it was meant to be a main cotroller type. There was another picture showcasing all of the prototype Dreamcast controllers. Personally I am glad that the dreamcast controller is the way it is. It's my favorite controller to date.

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:04 am
quote : #11
I am curious to know if this controller contained an accelerometer or motion sensor of any kind. Obviously, the controller likely contained an optical sensor used for pointing (much like a lightgun), but what if Sega was going to up the ante?

I've also been floating another idea around: Perhaps this is a prototype for the fishing controller? The two-handed grip the player is employing in the picture suggests the same type of grip one uses on a fishing rod.

Saturn
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:02 pm
quote : #12
Well that would be the oddest looking fishing rod i've ever seen.

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:56 pm
quote : #13
Prototypes aren't always indicative of the final product. Most are cobbled together just to show off a concept, forgoing style for substance.

I would throw my hat in the ring and try to translate it, but my Japanese is only a semester strong. Embarassed