1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:20 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
We are starting an ISP database for pay only dialup ISP's. (This is not for free ones)

Do you play your Dreamcast online with a pay for use dialup ISP? If so, please list your information so others can get online easier with their Dreamcasts.

1. What is the name of the service you are using?
    2. How much does it charge?
    3. Is it limited or unlimited access?
    4. What region does the ISP cover?

Please only report with ISP's that you know are Dreamcast compatible, and ones you yourself have used.

Also if any PAL players from the UK, Europe, and Australia have any detailed information on how the dialup ISP setup works there please hook me up with some detailed information. I cannot provide such info as I am in the US. So, links to providers, prices, etc are welcome.

If you use DSL/Cable, and receive free monthly dialup service, please also report that as well, as people could optionally go to that ISP and pay for dialup use.
Posted:
Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:13 pm
quote : #2
For the UK, this website has a list of all the best prepay dialup providers.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/listman/exec/unmetered.shtml

I've personally used M.I.P Cards, and it worked great for online play. It's non contract, so you just pay monthly. http://www.mipcards.com/
SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:50 pm
quote : #3
I have Qwest DSL. You are able to use your DSL username and password for free unlimited dial-up service. It's rock solid in my area (Minneapolis/St. Paul MN). Connection speeds are very good as I don't believe there are many dial-up users left.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:16 am
quote : #4
SEGA RPG FAN, is that a set number of monthly hours? or?
Posted:
Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:28 am
quote : #5
lordnikon wrote:

1. What is the name of the service you are using?
    2. How much does it charge?
    3. Is it limited or unlimited access?
    4. What region does the ISP cover?

1. connectto.net http://connectto.net/Sign-Up-Now.html
2. They have 2 plans one for $9 for 150 hours per Month, or what I use the unlimited for 11.99 a month.
3. see above.
4.North America can't confirm other locations; since it asks for the 3-digit area code I believe its NTSC only but if you have a 3-digit area code you can try the Search access numbers in the link.

usage notes sometimes on Quake i've had to logoff and back on to get the server list to appear.
i've also have had no luck getting Sega Swirl to work.

Last edited by DaMan on Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:32 am
quote : #6
This is great info guys, keep it coming! I am going to be tabulating this data so people can essentially take their pick and just sign up with a service.

Please also be sure to mention whether the ISP only covers a set geographical location, or if it is nationwide.
Posted:
Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:05 pm
quote : #7
1. VTISP
2. Without email: $3.95 per month; 39.95 per year.
With email: $4.95 per month; $47.40 per year.
3. 150 hours per month; no unlimited option, if I'm correct.
4. All 50 United States

I can confirm that the service is fully functional with EVO 4x4, Maximum Pool, and Dreamkey 1.0, but I don't know about any other software. The service is quite reliable; I fairly consistently get about 50 kb/s. Every so often, I only get 35 kb/s, but that's rare. Sometimes, when I'm downloading a file onto my Windows 2000 computer with Opera, the window will read, "5.7 kilobytes/second, 10 minutes remaining." Over the next thirty seconds, the download speed will gradually decrease, until it gets to 0.1 kilobytes/second! If I click, "retransfer," it starts over, at 0.1 kB/s! However, if I end the download, and start a new session, the download speed goes back to normal. I think this is either an OS or browser problem; I've never had any problems when I use Firefox, Puppy Linux, but I rarely use that. (I should contact tech support about this.) The most important part is that it never seemed to happen when I played online DC games, or downloaded files onto my Dreamcast.

The only other problems I have with it involve billing and customer service. There's no phone number for tech support; only email. Also, twice, I got billed for the next month, even though I said I wanted to cancel/change plans long enough beforehand. Granted, in both of those instances, I was refunded after I emailed, but even then it took some time. Nevetheless, the price is so unbelievably low that I'd still recommend it. If you aren't as cheap as me, you might think the other inconveniences outweigh the price.
rank 41
Posted:
Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:13 am
quote : #8
Type: PAL
I have used BT Click in the UK for around 4 years now and have never had a problem. This was the Sega Endorsed ISP in the UK whose info was provided with Dream Key 3.0. in 2002. The details are as follows:

1. User Name: sega
2. Password: sega
3. Telephone Number: 0845 6041482

As far as prices go I can't find that information anywhere online or on the Dreamkey packaging. From what I remember it is 6p a minute between 6am and 6pm, then 1p a minute for after 6pm and at weekends.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
harrykid
unknown
Posted:
Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:53 pm
quote : #9
I confirm that VTISP works with quake 3 and the planet web browser

fattony
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:54 pm
quote : #10
Ive had to cancel my vtisp they've raised the prices now its 4.75 so now I have no dail-up anyone have a cheaper one?

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:47 pm
quote : #11
SEGA RPG FAN wrote:
I have Qwest DSL. You are able to use your DSL username and password for free unlimited dial-up service. It's rock solid in my area (Minneapolis/St. Paul MN). Connection speeds are very good as I don't believe there are many dial-up users left.

I had no idea this worked.

Awesome! Very Happy

danate94
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:47 pm
quote : #12
Type: NTSC-U
I have dial up with Earthlink. I pay 9.95 and have unlimited usage. My average connection is in the 50 kbps, with occasional dips into the 40`s. I know for sure Quake 3 works with it, I sadly dont own any other online compatible games. (Donate a game? Lol.) Check out www.earthlink.net

segadreamcastdude
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:04 pm
quote : #13
Type: ntsc-u/c
does at&t worldnet still work with dreamcast? Question

Favrenation
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:28 pm
quote : #14
I think ATT does. http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=11012 It comes with ATT DSL and Uverse packages. Im not sure about just buying dialup though.

jjc5150
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:33 am
quote : #15
yes AT&T dial up works fine with the dreamcast
Jabber ID: JJC5150@jabber.org