1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:05 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I thought I made a thread about this years back, but I couldn't find it. I just got back from an electronic store and picked up a VGA splitter for about $4.99. What this device does is split a single VGA signal to two monitors instead of 1.

The idea here is that you can setup a LAN-esque environment using just 1 Dreamcast console, and 1 game. Here is the equipment you will need for this:

• 2 VGA monitors
  • 2 DC VGA adapters
  • 1 Dreamcast Console
  • 1 Game
  • 2 sets of controllers (any)
  • 2 pieces of cardboard (for splitscreen matches)

At first this might seem a little crazy, but seriously, lets think about this for a moment. You don't need to track down a super rare Dreamcast VS cable. You don't need to spend more money on duplicates of a game. You only need 1 Dreamcast game console. You aren't limited to just VS cable compatible games for multiplayer. You don't even need to limit this to competative splitscreen multiplayer games either. You could setup a back2back monitor setup with 2 arcade sticks for King of Fighters, just like in the arcades!

You could do this with 2 TV"s as well, you would just need a way to split the signal. Though I feel with monitors, they are easier to move around between rooms, unless you had some smaller 13" tv's laying around.
Posted:
Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:15 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTC-U
NICE!

Lordnikon that is great NEWS! I never knew you could do this.... THANKS!

I have a few Questions to put out there:

How does it look?

By doing this does it put a damper on the graphics?

What does a Splitter look like? Any kind of Brand?

and last....... How does a game like Outtrigger know to splict the screen correctly? Any distortion.

Last edited by DCbrotha on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:37 pm
quote : #3
A splitter doesn't split the screen into two separate parts, it just allows you to display the image on two different screens. So, what you see on one screen will be exactly what you see on the other. That's why the cardboard is needed. You have to cover up the other player's half. Laughing

Edit: actually, here is my even easier alternative with extra bonus features Laughing!

SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:01 pm
quote : #4
That's one big a** piece of cardboard. Depending on how much your monitor lets you move the image around and zoom you could probably do away with the cardboard. Anybody experimented with that?
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:39 pm
quote : #5
DreamcastTM that one with the snacks window is hilarious haha. Laughing

I personally think the cardboard "divider" method has always been super oldschool. since it has to eminate out from the display at a 90 degree angle. With the 2 monitors, you get a more pure experience since you are laying the cardboard flat on half of the screen to block the view of the other player.
Posted:
Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:09 pm
quote : #6
Let's see a cardboard plan for split screen top and bottom Very Happy

The snack window and all that is just fine if you only want to play VOOT.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
peens
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:39 pm
quote : #7
Type: NTSC-U
Believe it or not I used to play 4 player split screen using a table to divide top and bottom, and hardcover books to split the 2 on top and boxes or blankets to split the 2 on bottom. It wasn't always comfortable being the 2 on the bottom though, lol. Also the snack window idea.. can't say I ever put that into the mix, but man I wish I had. DreamcastTM, you should put a patent on that.

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:52 am
quote : #8
Thats exactly Mr. Green what I was talking about.
Posted:
Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:53 pm
quote : #9
lordnikon wrote:
You could do this with 2 TV"s as well, you would just need a way to split the signal. Though I feel with monitors, they are easier to move around between rooms, unless you had some smaller 13" tv's laying around.

If anyone is interested, I can pm a link to some RCA splitters for about $1 each (need three to split all video, right audio, left audio). You can easily stack them to split to 4 tvs. There is a noticeable difference between the split and unsplit signal, but, unless you're recording tv or something, its really not that bad. Just turn up the brightness on the display. Some people say the split signal looks better...

I dont know about everyone else, but I've got a lot more old tvs laying around than monitors.
rank 40
Posted:
Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:46 am
quote : #10
Mertens wrote:
There is a noticeable difference between the split and unsplit signal
--- its not only niticeable, its simle a very low picture quality. I mean, dont forget the ingame grafics normaly drops down - when youre playing a multiplayer mod at one system.
Posted:
Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:55 am
quote : #11
Type: NTC-U
This is good information to help with VS games! I need to pick a splitter up asap.

Has anyone used the splitter between 2 CRT Monitors and use the monitor settings to skew/ change each screen disply by expanding and emphasizing each halfs of the screen to be larger?

I figure it will depends largely on the options of the monitor. Each monitor varies in function and settings but has anyone had success with this?

Please reply success or non-success.

Thanks

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:38 pm
quote : #12
I don't think I would ever stretch the image. I think accurate on screen graphics are always more important than total screen size. Thats why I always laugh when people are playing Dreamcast 4:3 games, stretched on 16:9 widescreen displays. It looks silly.

Obviously, with most monitors you could get a little more screen space by increasing the vertical stretching of the image, but I would simply leave it at its normal view, and the cover up the other screen. It should work fine like this. Also, remember you are going to have to take down the cardboard or flip it up to change game settings inbetween matches depending on the game.
Posted:
Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:05 am
quote : #13
Type: NTSC-U
I wonder if it would be possible to get 2 monitors set up on a single computer display and actually split the screen between the 2 monitors. if you had the right computer setup and a VGA cable it could be possible.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:41 am
quote : #14
peens, I am not sure what differentiates your post there from what we have already been discussing in this thread so far. Please elaborate if possible.
Posted:
Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:16 am
quote : #15
i think peens is talking about sending your computer the split screen to separate the image and then send the new split signals to 2 different monitors. making them both full screen? this seems like it would have lag issues even if it was some how possible.