Page 1 of 1
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:35 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
i just picked up After Burner for my 32x for about $8. i already own after Burner 3 for my Sega CD. so i decided to compare the two. i almost wish i didnt bother getting this for 32x now. when i got it i figured that because it was for 32x that it would look better. but honestly AB3 seems to look better. i notice that my missiles have a smoke trail on the 32x, but i am not sure if the Genesis or Sega CD versions of AF1 had that or not?

does anyone know how much they improved the 32x version over the original one for Genesis?
Posted:
Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:54 pm
quote : #2
Genesis vs 32X
while the Genesis version of the game was very accurate to the game in gameplay and action the graphics did take a hit (i'm comparing it to the arcade) but were still well represented.

having played the 32 X on a kiosk over a decade (!) ago the 32X did seem closer in looks for the the game time I got out of the game.

still get to the canyon bonus stage in the Genesis you have a few pillars (which is supposed to be a canyon wall on the left and right; there is actually a picture of it on the back of the box) and get to the same spot on the 32X.

never played or seen ABIII on SEGA CD
still have yet to get to the arcade on Shenmue II
after the genesis version the one I believe to be the best is the 1 on the Saturn, SEGA AGES which is basically the arcade version of the game.

so the short answer would be the graphics ate their veggies, and you have more colors on the 32 X.

Last edited by DaMan on Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:05 pm
quote : #3
hey DaMan do you know if the Genesis version had the smoke trails coming off of the missiles? cuz After Burner III does not have any but the 32x version of AF1 does have it.
Posted:
Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:48 am
quote : #4
The After Burner series has quite a few diverging paths. There are many sega arcade shooters that are lumped together into the universe of After Burner. This includes titles such as G-Loc and Sky Target. After Burner III is actually a different game than the original 2 after burner games. It is a port of another Sega Arcade game called "Strike Fighter".

The 32X version is pretty much arcade perfect, and is comparable to the Saturn Version (which is arcade perfect). As far as I am concerned, these versions are the best ways to experience After Burner. I still thing the Genesis version is very solid even though it takes a few steps back in the graphics department. The gameplay is all there though and that is what counts.
Posted:
Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:32 pm
quote : #5
gary_b wrote:
hey DaMan do you know if the Genesis version had the smoke trails coming off of the missiles? cuz After Burner III does not have any but the 32x version of AF1 does have it.

Sorry had to locate all the stuff to hook the Genny up Embarassed
Yes Genesis After Burner II does have the smoke trails following after the missiles !
Once again the trails seem really skinny here whereas in the 32X you could probably blind yourself due to firing a bunch at the same time. (not that its an issue in this game if you're using your afterburners).

Thanks for the info about AB3 / Strike Fighter when said that I could only think of Sega Strike Fighter and the time frame would've been really off.
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:08 pm
quote : #6
DaMan wrote:
gary_b wrote:

Sorry had to locate all the stuff to hook the Genny up Embarassed
Yes Genesis After Burner II
is the 32x After Burner the same as the Genesis After Burner 2? i was asking if the Genesis After burner 1 had the smoke??

in any case i looked at the colors while playing today. i did notice more colors on the 32. the game seems to have a tab bit more detail to it. with the high def graphics of today these small things would easily go unnoticed. i bet if i had this back when it came out i would have spotted these differences faster.

thanks for the info guys
Posted:
Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:37 pm
quote : #7
Keeping the conversation going here...
I know for sure the secret messages are in the Saturn and Genesis version of the game.
for instance doing the secret message codes gets you 100 missiles instead of the default 50.
when I was playing the Genesis version of the game I was trying to remember the combinations to pull them off.
I would assume the 32X game has the 'secret messages" also.

I know I could probably look up the codes online.

also some of the messages make very little sense and other just funny.
DaMan
rank 28
Posted:
Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:10 pm
quote : #8
gary_b wrote:
is the 32x After Burner the same as the Genesis After Burner 2? i was asking if the Genesis After burner 1 had the smoke??

thanks for the info guys

The 32X and Genesis game are the same game, but as mentioned before the gameplay on Genesis is the arcade while the graphics not so much.
after reading a some wiki's After Burner 1 does'nt even apply to these 2 versions
They both were released the same year (1987) making some to believe that part II was just some minor revisions. [from the wiki]

If you notice the attract mode / demo of the title screen the enemy planes shoot down the 'I' and it comes back as 'II'
a major addition that was brought to part 2 that was not in 1 is the throttle; having played the SMS AB where there is no speed control I always thought it was ironic that you had no control over speed in a game called 'After Burner'.
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:53 am
quote : #9
DaMan wrote:
I always thought it was ironic that you had no control over speed in a game called 'After Burner'.
ha, the name fits because the after burner is stuck on Shocked you should be wondering how you manage to turn at those speeds lol