Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
1, 2  Next
cast128dreams
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:20 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
am interested for using my Dreamcast online as a backup and only just syrfing..

But back in 2000 most sites wernt as complicated as they are now.They have a lot animated sprites,java,active x control programs.In 2001 when web browser 3 was released for the Dreamcast sites were simple.

I dont know if Dreamcast runs internet fine in nowadays cause i never bought a BBA.
What about youtube or email acounts(hotmail-yahoomail etc..)

Can someone tell me?Can Dreamcast surf the interner fine in nowadays?

Metal Hedgehog
rank 11
Posted:
Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:37 pm
quote : #2
I use it ones in a while. It's decent. Youtube doesn't work. I haven't tried it recently for the emails. I tried using ebay with it. It took a while to bid on something but it eventually did. It's a bit slow though. I don't have dsl either.

Sean
rank 1
Posted:
Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:44 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U
You can't do anything that's not "basic" on the Dreamcast, Web 2.0, Flash, MP3/Video... forget it.

Yahoo Classic works somewhat, Gmail and anything that uses Java doesn't either.

I will say that I find surfing on the Dreamcast for just plain info and news now easier because most of the big sites have "mobile" versions.

But, The main problem now is that most of free duns aren't working anymore. MSN and Netzero are gone (at least I can't find out what the new prefix is for NZ) and I don't think Juno is going to last much longer.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:58 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Actually, the number one problem you will run into with all Dreamcast browsers is that they do not support Cascading Style Sheets (CSS). These are global files that store page formatting information like font colors, link formatting, etc etc for HTML. So websites render broken and messed up.

I think one of the best uses the Dreamcast browser still has, is the IRC client in any PlanetWeb browser to access Internet Relay Chat. This works exactly as it did when the Dreamcast was first released, and should never change.

OC is compatible with Dreamcast browsers, which you can use by changing the site template from "PC to Console" after logging in, at the base of the main message boards (Though remember the Console template should not be used on a PC, only on a Console such as the DC). You may run into some Session Timeouts with PlanetWeb. If this happens, maybe try DreamPassport 3 or DreamPassport Premiere (XDP also works since it is just a browser compilation including these).

The Dreamcast is best used for accessing simple HTML sites to download game saves, or to grab some download content. It is not ideal for surfing on modern day websites.
Posted:
Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:52 pm
quote : #5
You still can access MSN on DC http://br.geocities.com/adrianorj55 and there also are websites that optimize sites to be compliant with the mob and dc browsers.

cast128dreams
rank 3
Posted:
Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:45 pm
quote : #6
devil-mav wrote:
You still can access MSN on DC http://br.geocities.com/adrianorj55 and there also are websites that optimize sites to be compliant with the mob and dc browsers.

so you say that the sites works all fine from this link?

What exactly does this link? Does it translate pages to Dreamcast protocol?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:27 am
quote : #7
I would only use the dual surfer link if you are on broadband. Otherwise, if navigating via dialup, only access the links individually. The site "ebuddy" which is used to logon to MSN, is used as a middle man. Instead of Microsoft's code being incompatible with the Dreamcast's browser, it serves the Dreamcast compliant simple code that it can understand and render on your screen. The ebuddy site isn't specifically targeted at the Dreamcast though, but any simple device that can't understand complex web programming designed for fullscale computer browsers.
Posted:
Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:12 am
quote : #8
That link I've passed is for DC or PS2 users, which it offers a dual page for browsering. This link http://www.t9space.com/ turns every websites into mob version being compatible with DC.

cast128dreams
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:34 pm
quote : #9
thanks for the replys..

Its a bit dissapointing that Dreamcast cant support flash,youtube vidoes,active x
but the sites that u gave encourage me.

about dualserfer
http://br.geocities.com/adrianorj55
I didnt understand what this site do..Really i click on the URL and i enter www.youtube.com and the youtube looked like its use to be.
what this could mean to Dreamcast?

Aslo t9space site seems to mibilize that sites fine...That means that they will run to Dreamcast fine?

Guys any other site to make them compatible for Dreamcast?

devil-mav
rank 4
Posted:
Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:38 am
quote : #10
That website is just for DC/PS2 to browser the web in two pages at the same time. some dc users like to surf the web that way. it includes links to access MSN on DC/PS2. thats it.

cast128dreams
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:17 am
quote : #11
so,is there any other link that comvert sites for Dreamcast hardware and not mobilized?

devil-mav
rank 4
Posted:
Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:44 am
quote : #12
I dont know any other link to convert sites for DC.

peens
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:49 pm
quote : #13
i think the dreamcast is great for web surfing, as long a you have kb and mouse. it would be really cool if someone made a more up to date browser for it though, flash games on dreamcast would be cool

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:24 pm
quote : #14
Developing a homebrew web browser on the DC (which has never been done before) would take a ton of expertise. Regardless, the Dreamcast can't handle current websites. Modern flash games are simply too large for the Dreamcast's memory. One would have to custom develop a Flash game for the versions of Flash the Dreamcast supports. Which is possible, its just that someone in the Dreamcast community would have to work within the confinds of Flash versions 2 or 3.
Posted:
Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:26 am
quote : #15
I did assume it would take a lot of work and time, and will probably never happen, but it would still be cool. playing the helicopter game on dreamcast...