Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
Previous  1, 2
devil-mav
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:53 am
quote : #16
profile : pm
Developing a web browser would be painful. who knows that dream comes true Smile

Mazonemayu
rank 27
Posted:
Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:05 am
quote : #17
if that SD card comes through, then someone would be able to make a browser that you can actually update

Blue Rogues...Attack!!!
hokman
rank 3
Posted:
Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:54 pm
quote : #18
Type: NTSC-U/C
blogs are out of the question because of the amount of pics since it's still 56k. But web surfing on the dc is very comfortable on bed. No heavy laptop crushing your thighs just a lighweight keyboard that u can control cursor with and a 640x480 screen at a safe distance from you with very legible texts.

Posted Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:23 pm:

Here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3WD3kmSLSA&feature=channel_page

Please rate and comment!
Posted:
Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:42 pm
quote : #19
I wonder though. Does the Dreamcast have enough power to support today's modern lifestyles of flash based applications and XHTML? If so I wonder if they will release a Planet Web 4.0 anytime soon?
Posted:
Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:42 pm
quote : #20
Ronin, the Dreamcast doesn't have enough resources to properly navigate modern websites. I get into this earlier in the thread. CSS aka Cascading Style Sheets are not supported by the Dreamcast. CSS are formatting options for modern websites, and since the Dreamcast cannot read them, the sites sort of dump out in a massive vertical list of content rather than preserving their site structure.

More importantly, websites today are just more bandwidth intensive. The biggest problem for the Dreamcast is images. Sites that are all code will load pretty fast. This is why the special Dreamcast browser template works so well on the Dreamcast browser, since I stripped out as many images as possible. It is practically all code. Once the Dreamcast is loading tons upon tons of images though, it becomes crippled and can sometimes crash the browser.

Flash today is far more advanced than it was back on the Dreamcast. You need to realize that browsing the Internet on the Dreamcast was designed for websites back in the late 90's through 2001 or so. The Modern Internet has simply outgrown the Dreamcast's internet capabilities.

The Dreamcast can't even render YouTube video files. It will not understand the FLV flash video codec. Technically, someone could setup a Dreamcast "Tube" if they wanted. However the site would have to have video files in "SFD" video format. Which is what the Dreamcast is able to render.

Now this isn't to say the Dreamcast can't still be used on the Internet. You just need to use DC web friendly websites, or functions that the Dreamcast easily supports.
Posted:
Mon May 04, 2009 5:50 am
quote : #21
Type: PAL
If playing a helicopter game the thing you would do when surfing on your dreamcast, then i feel sorry for you.
Posted:
Mon May 04, 2009 5:13 pm
quote : #22
dreamcaster wrote:
If playing a helicopter game the thing you would do when surfing on your dreamcast, then i feel sorry for you.

I am not sure I understand what you are saying here? Please clarrify?
Posted:
Tue May 05, 2009 8:08 pm
quote : #23
Type: NTSC-U
i believe he is making fun of me for liking the helicopter game. ouch... i though everyone liked that game

Jaesonx5
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:42 pm
quote : #24
Building a website for SFD format videos I believe is a great idea. Does anybody know if it is possible to convert modern video files to SFD format video files? That would cinch the deal to have a SFD video website where people could check out videos like on YouTube!! Oh, Is there a video file conversion program you can use to do this??
I'll see what I can find on my own but if anyone figures this out please do post it for others!!