Topic: The Dreamcast HD Discussion

Page 1 of 5
Zanoh
unknown
Posted:
Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:36 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Sorry if this has been asked but I was wondering if it is possible that sega released a component cable for the dreamcast since it was on par with the PS2?

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:41 pm
quote : #2
Type: PAL
No, Dreamcast just died in 2001, too early for HD.

Zanoh
unknown
Posted:
Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:53 pm
quote : #3
Darn...but you think it would have been cool for it to have one right? I swear my DC games would totally own on an HDTV if upscaled.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:57 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
No because then you would be dealing with input lag. Where there is a delay between the buttons you press on the Dreamcast, and when they render on the screen. It is best to play the Dreamcast on a Standard Definition television, or a PC monitor. Running it on an HDTV will result in input lag due to poor upscale conversion times in most HDTV's.
Posted:
Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:59 pm
quote : #5
Hmmm true, so just stick with the standard cables on an HDTV?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:03 pm
quote : #6
Actually no, don't hook your Dreamcast up to an HDTV at all. Hi-Definition Televisions can only output a native display resolution of 720p -1080p / 1080i. The Dreamcast outputs at 480i using standard composite(yellow cables) or s-video. Its possible to use a VGA box to boost the signal to progressive scan at 480p, but even still TV has to upconvert the 480 resolution to 720 or 1080.

You will notice lag in time sensitive games such as arcade shooters, fighting games, and rhythm games. It affects all games, but these are the games where you will notice the greatest impact on your performance.

If you own an HDTV you should have held onto an SDTV to hook up consoles like the Dreamcast to that don't support HD display resolutions.
Posted:
Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:05 pm
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:
Actually no, don't hook your Dreamcast up to an HDTV at all. Hi-Definition Televisions can only output a native display resolution of 720p -1080p / 1080i. The Dreamcast outputs at 480i using standard composite(yellow cables) or s-video. Its possibly to use a VGA box to boost the signal to progressive scan at 480p, but even still TV has to upconvert the 480 resolution to 720 or 1080.

You will notice lag in time sensitive games such as arcade shooters, fighting games, and rhythm games. It affects all games, but these are the games where you will notice the greatest impact on your performance.

If you own an HDTV you should have held onto an SDTV to hook up consoles like the Dreamcast to that don't support HD display resolutions.

I have had my DC hooked up to a HDTV for months now via VGA and have never noticed any lag at all...seems perfect...perhaps im just lucky Smile

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:11 pm
quote : #8
The lag is there trust me, you just already adjusted to it and are delaying your controller commands to compensate.

If you take a game like pop n' music with its controller, and played it on an HDTV and mastered a certain song. Then went back to an SDTV your scores would be drastically different.

See this website to be schooled on some of the ins and outs of HDTV lag, as well as ways to test for how much your HDTV actually lags:

http://hdtvlag.googlepages.com/
Posted:
Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:13 pm
quote : #9
Looks like I shall just have to find out. If lucky, it just might only stretch the image size and still play it like it was on an SDTV.

segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:47 am
quote : #10
Yeah is interesting, think I have probably noticed this (very slightly) on the PS2 via scart, but I don't play that enough to be concerend with in all honesty.

Having just looked at the DC and its output to the TV, the TV tells me its being displayed in 640x480 via VGA...which should mean its not being upscaled anyway shouldn't it?

In any case, I can't notice any difference at all via VGA for the DC and at the end of the day HDTV's are the future and people won't have much choice about what they plug into...I am sure upscaling speeds will improve but I imagine there will always be a slight dealy because each frame still has to be processed.

Even if there is a slight lag..it's soo worth it to see all that detail on a nice 40" screen hung on the wall Smile

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:12 pm
quote : #11
i was going to sujest the VGA box when i saw this thread. i see segadreamcaster already has.

i looked at the link nikon posted. its about the PS2 and xbox in 480i. both systems can not output a progressive signal. as i understand it the dreamcast is the only gaming system of last gen able to output a native 480p VGA signal. the others can use VGA but the systems dose not output the progressive scan the VGA boxes upscale it.

some HD sets can output the native 640 x 480 signal. the Dreamcast also outputs its VGA signal in progressive scan. the VGA box does not do this for it. so with some HD tvs there would be no upscale to be done. but not all HD sets will support as low of resolution as 640x480. also some sets may not use the whole screen. if you use the VGA hook up and your HD tv. the picture might not be in high def. unless you consider 480p high def

idk i might be wrong. but i think all this is interesting
Posted:
Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:59 pm
quote : #12
Well, lets forget about talking about other games systems because it is irrelevant. All consoles of the Dreamcast's generation supported a display output of 480p. It all depended on whether the games were programmed to support it.

When your talking 480i vs 480p, there is "less" lag with 480p because it is indeed progressive and the TV doesn't have to do as much conversion. This is why segadreamcaster saw a difference when playing via SCART vs VGA.

Regardless of whether you think you can notice lag, it is still there VGA or no VGA. The lag is there and it is effecting the game experience.

Lets take FPS's for example: If you play with a mouse and keyboard on the Dreamcast and then go over to the PC to play any other FPS your shots will be off because you will have been used to leading your shot a certain way on the Dreamcast. Also, online? you are going to take a hit with Quake 3 Arena. The lag induced from the conversion process will mean your opponent will have the edge on you in every single encounter until you are able to become proficient at compensating your reaction time to the time delay.

Imagine yourself playing a lightgun game, where instead of reacting to what you see on the screen, you have to anticipate when enemies may or may not appear. So either you have the game memorized and can squeeze off a few rounds before hand in an area where you know an enemy is going to show up, or you have to start shooting around like a lunatic. The alternative is dying everytime you try to squeeze the trigger to kill a zombie that came out of no where, because he is going to attack you before you even see it on the TV.

I feel that playing on an HD setup with a console outputting at 480 is a broken, ruined experience. I want to press a button and get pinpoint precision reaction time. That is how a game is supposed to be played. If I can't pull off my combos in King of Fighters in real time, then whats the point?

Its always interesting to see how people react to the HDTV time lag because it reveals the gap between those who play games with fleeting casual interest and those who take there gaming experience more seriously.
Posted:
Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:16 pm
quote : #13
I haven't really tested it myself. I recently sold my HDTV (which only had component) and bought a EDTV with VGA and RGB for my retro games. (Aside of that my Japanese Dreamcast got its own CRT PC monitor right next to me.)

One thing I would like to make clear though:

S-Video / Composite vs VGA... There's no question what's better, lag or not. VGA is twice the resolution, twice the frame rate, true RGB...

If you own a LCD or Plasma TV (which both don't work with interlaced signals too well), then there is no other option to get a decent signal other than using the Dreamcast's VGA box via your VGA or DVI-A ports for progressive scan.

- I think that the best thing about those new HDTVs is that you guys finally get rid of S-Video and Composite.

Last edited by Christuserloeser on Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:20 pm
quote : #14
Christuserloeser wrote:
I haven't really tested it myself. I recently sold my HDTV (which only had component) and bought a EDTV with VGA and RGB for my retro games. (Aside of that my Japanese Dreamcast got its own CRT PC monitor right next to me.)

Very smart move! Cool What type of EDTV did you get? I have been looking for these but they are so hard to find. Did you get one on ebay? or via an actual retailer?
Posted:
Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:28 pm
quote : #15
One like this:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220209700452 (this one seems to miss the VGA in)

CRT TVs with VGA are pretty rare here, you guys seem to have more different brands and models to choose:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179473