Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:21 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Let me give you some background info. I only have one CRT monitor I use for DC, it is usually played on horizontally and throug ha VGA box. For years it has been fine, I used to flip it on its side sometimes to play shoot-em-ups in tait/tate mode. This has usually been OK and the image quality has been fine.
However recently (about a month or to back) I flipped the monitor on its side to play Radilgy, when I turned it on the colours were off. I'm not sure how to describe it (I'll get pictures up soon). So I flipped it back to its normal position and the colours returned to the state they should be.

I didn't think much of it, but recently I wanted to play DUX vertically, so I flipped my screen and the colours were actually fine. The picture was how it was supposed to be. BUT this time when I flipped it back to horizontal position the colours went funny like they did before. Now my monitor is only useful for vertical shooters Crying or Very sad .

Its really strange because if I put a game on and leave the screen on, I can pick up the monitor and flip it and as I gradually tip it further you see the colours on screen change. I know its a longshot but, any ideas?

Thanks, lozz.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:51 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Could be magnetic interference from something nearby like speakers (or could even be reacting to changing position within the Earth's magnetic field). First thing to try...when you flip it, go into the monitor's menu and degauss it. This is an option I've seen on every CRT monitor and should be on yours.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:05 pm
quote : #3
I have had this problem happen to me before. I tried inverting one of my monitors and the colors freaked out so I was like "woe" and put it back to its normal horizontal position. Not sure what the solution is though.
Posted:
Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:58 pm
quote : #4
If the color has a blue / purple hue to it, that's usually caused by a bad cable (from either the monitor itself or the Dreamcast's VGA box). Try moving the cable around when playing if that's the problem to find the area where it displays properly. My Performance VGA box has the problem in the cable that leads to the Dreamcast.

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:48 am
quote : #5
Nope its not the cable, it seems to be fine now. I just left the monitor off for a while in the postition I wanted and when I turned it on it was ok.

SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:55 am
quote : #6
lozz wrote:
I just left the monitor off for a while in the postition I wanted and when I turned it on it was ok.

That definitely sounds like magnetic interference. The reason it went back to normal after leaving it off and then turning it back on is that monitors degauss themselves when they turn on. However, it takes a while for the degaussing circuit to recharge (hence leaving it off for a while) so you can't just turn it off and then turn it right back on.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:53 pm
quote : #7
Ah ok thats ncie to know. Thanks for the advice everyone, lozz.