Page 1 of 2
civicturbo
rank 1
Posted:
Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:39 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Wow that was alot of digging. I am now online after 5mins but it took many hours last night and today to get there. Here is the basics if there are enough posted replys I will right out more details.
What you need

Dreamcast
PC with a modem
Vonage or other VOIP service with free long distance (I use Vonage, works great the past 4 years)
OR
Digital home phone from cable compnay with fre long distance
OR
Landline with free long distance package from the telco (14.95 upgrade in Minnesota thru Qwest)
metconnect free dialup account (no adds!!)

XXX. I never got the DC-PC thing to work, had a errror after connecting. gave up after 5am last night.

Get online for free
-------------------------------------------
1. sign up at http://www.metconnect.com/signup.html Very simple setup, NO BS and no ads. As a mater of fact they say they support dreamcast right here>> http://www.all-free-isp.com/metconnect.php

2. follow the Support page instructions to add a account to your home PC to proof dialing the number from your house.

3. GET the DNS. Once your pc is online via dialup click on start>run> type cmd
then type ipconfig /all at the command prompt. now you see a spill of data. scroll down till you see the word DNS. copy down the IP. I'll post it here>>
DNS 1: 216.194.28.33 DNS 2: 216.194.28.69 this is curenty as of this date and your should get the same.

3. enter your user name and pass in the dreamcast. don't add @metconnect at the end of your user name, I know thats a trick I had to do with peoplePC but its not needed here. enter in the DNS info

4. these are the local dial access numbers as of today for metconnect:

212 359 2000

347-562-0000

516-630-2000

631-236-0000

646-496-0000

845-727-9001

914-595-8001

I use the first one.

5. You should now be able to get online!!

SO why NY. well Vonage servers are in NY and dialup modems seem to have less trouble with 212 numbers. google " tivo vonage" to read about it.

Troubleshooting
------------------------------------
If the internet isn't fast enough the VOIP will loose too many packets and the modems won't like this. make sure to set the bandwidth saver to high (90kbps) in your Vonage account page. you can also force this by adding the *99, prefix to the second page. This sets the VOIP adpater for data use for this call.

Posted Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:23 pm:

I didn't mention I'm using WIN XP on the PC. I also tried the connection usinf a linksys PAP2 voip adapter running voipvoip.com's service. It's pay as you go so you can have a second phone line without tying up the first line. They used to charge 2.9 cents per min. now its 1.9 cents per min. No monthly bill just pay for what you use. They support BYOD bring your own adapter, soo i thought i'd give 'em a spin. I bought the adapter off Ebay with a few others for 25 dollors shipped and used CYT unlocker to get into the admin page to program it. ( it was a Vonage adapter originaly.

Posted Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:24 pm:

I didn't mention I'm using WIN XP on the PC. I also tried the connection usinf a linksys PAP2 voip adapter running voipvoip.com's service. It's pay as you go so you can have a second phone line without tying up the first line. They used to charge 2.9 cents per min. now its 1.9 cents per min. No monthly bill just pay for what you use. They support BYOD bring your own adapter, soo i thought i'd give 'em a spin. I bought the adapter off Ebay with a few others for 25 dollors shipped and used CYT unlocker to get into the admin page to program it. ( it was a Vonage adapter originaly.

loki101
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:21 am
quote : #2
cool finally other than me sombody uses metconnect cool Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Posted:
Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:56 am
quote : #3
i live in canada, but i have free unlimited minutes to US.... so can i use metconnect because it seems much easier.... if not do u know how to set up using netzero?

jjc5150
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:19 pm
quote : #4
sruhti - Unfortunately the free versions of netzero and juno no longer work as of the past few months - metconnect should work fine - I have been using it as of late, and it works OK.
Jabber ID: JJC5150@jabber.org
xXAlkaidXx
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:12 am
quote : #5
Will that add to the phone bill if I use dial-up connection on my Dreamcast?

srushti
rank 1
Posted:
Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:38 am
quote : #6
will the connection be slower? considering i will be about 600 miles away from the source?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:23 pm
quote : #7
I would do whatever you can to clean up the data coming over the line. You can buy a P.O.T.S. at Radio Shack that will eliminate uneeded noise on the telephone line which can help improve performance a bit.
Posted:
Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:59 pm
quote : #8
the problem mentioned above, where packets are dropped due to slow internet connection... will that happen if the internet is through a phone line from cable as opposed to vonage?

hayatesagas
rank 1
Posted:
Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:38 pm
quote : #9
Hmmmm I thank you for the Post....I just can never get it to work.....do you think you could help me out civic

Mertens
rank 14
Posted:
Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:49 pm
quote : #10
Hey all, long time, no post... but I'll cut to the chase.

I haven't played DC in a long time because I had to give up my dial tone and dial-up service many months ago. However, I recently purchased a Linksys PAP2 and unlocked it (as civicturbo mentioned). I wanted a free home phone because I quite enjoy talking for free on google voice, but talking with a mic on my computer is not ideal.

Anyway, once I got the PAP2 unlocked, the phone service worked beautifully (and I even have an actual dial tone!). So I thought, why not try to hook up the DC? I've borrowed an ATT user/pass from a friend (and I got it to work on a PC), but I keep getting the "No Carrier" message on the DC Web Browser. Any ideas on something I can do? I was thinking of a POTS filter too, but I'm not sure if it would work. Here is my basic setup:

WorldWideWeb ---- Comcast Modem ---- Wireless Router ---- LinksysPAP2 (Gizmo SIP service) ==== Dreamcast Modem

---- is an ethernet cable
==== is a phone line

The only place a POTS filter could go is between the dreamcast and the PAP2, do you think that would work? Anything I should tweak in the Dreamcast web browser settings? I have NOT done the DNS thing as civicturbo suggested, but I will if you think it would be necessary for any ISP and not just metconnect. I guess I could also do the metconnect thing if its free and unlimited. The great thing about the PAP2 is it can dial any number in the country for free, so no need for finding local access numbers.

Anyway, this post turned out pretty long, but it would be great to get my DC back online Very Happy
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:56 am
quote : #11
I have used a regular vonage adapter at I get the same thing. Sometimes it will connect but i time out on PSO in like 5 minutes. I thought about a POTS filter too but never tried it. Make sure you have your vonage setting to G.711 codec it uses no compression (90kbps) but most modems don't like the 100% digital line. If you decide to try a POTS filter I would be interested in seeing how this works.

Also you don't need the DNS thing if you don't use met connect. Sometimes you do though. Depends what dialup your using.

jjc5150
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:31 am
quote : #12
As Nikon Mentioned above, a pots filter will help clean up any noise on the line, and give you slightly better performance. Ive used one for several years on every configuration for my dreamcast online setup that ive had (voip, pc-dc,and dial up) and it has always helped not only with connecting, but with the making a more stable connection as well.
Jabber ID: JJC5150@jabber.org
Mertens
rank 14
Posted:
Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:02 pm
quote : #13
well, i got a pots filter but didnt have any luck. I was able to connect to dial up using just a phone line. Then I used the pots filter and phone line and it connected fine too. But when I try to connect through the linksys voip adapter it doesnt connect. I experimented with two different SIP providers (Gizmo5 and WhistlePhone) with no luck. When I call the access number with my phone through the voip adapter I can hear the other modem trying to connect but for some reason its not going through with my overall setup.

DC ==== POTS Filter ==== LinksysPAP2 ++++ Wireless Router ++++ Cable Modem ++++ Comcast Cable.

==== phone line
++++ ethernet cable

So maybe there is just too much in there to work. If I were any better at computer networking and DC browser configuration i might try some more, but as it is now, I'm out of ideas. Hopefully someone else can use this to figure something out.
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:27 pm
quote : #14
this still work?
Posted:
Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:08 am
quote : #15
Since moving accross country 4 yrs ago i havent played any of my Sega systems Sad time to get them out and enjoy them again. I will play with the dialup setup again and let everyone know my results. Wink