Topic: Making backups

Page 1 of 1
zprhead
rank 4
Posted:
Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:51 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Is there a way to do this and play them on an unmodded console my games are getting pretty worn out and i would like to back them up before its too late.

lanzarlaluna
rank 10
Posted:
Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:08 am
quote : #2
Because a standard CD-ROM or DVD drive can't read the highly compacted data on a DC game disc, there ends up being way to many hoops to jump through to make it worthwile. What people figured out is that they could rig the DC by connecting it their PC, thereby allowing the GD-ROM drive to read the disc, while the PC collects the data. Unfortunately, that's just the start. Blank GD-ROMs are almost inaccessible, and they hold more data than a standard CD-ROM, so even you managed to get the data to your PC, you would have to use some sort of software to shrink the amount of data. People that have successfully created image files (like the ones you see on Kazaa and the like) usually have had to cut some of the music in a game or some of the features. Anyway, to make a long story short, I personally don't think it's worth it, but if you really want to figure it out, there are probably some people in this community that could give you some links to get you started.
rank 4
Posted:
Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:13 am
quote : #3
ok thanks for the info it seems like too much trouble ill just have to be careful with my games, do those disc doctor things work on fixing gd roms too?

lanzarlaluna
rank 10
Posted:
Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:23 am
quote : #4
As far as I know, the skip/disc doctor works on any type of disc. The abrasive wheel spinning across the surface of the disc as it turns actually strips off a very fine layer of material. Scratches, if they aren't too deep, just refract the laser beam. This causes an improper data read sometimes. By taking off a layer of material, the scratches become shallower and the laser has a greater chance of reading properly. One thing to look for, though, is damage to the data layer of a disc. If you can hold a disc up to light and see directly through a particular scratch, then there is damage to the data layer. This is bad news. You can have damage to the data layer and still have a working game, but it's a scary situation. One thing to remember for the future, the data layer is actually closer to the top of a disc than the bottom. So be extra careful not to scratch the disc on the top/print side of the disc.