1, 2  Next
erb365
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:51 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hi i just got a new isp for dialup and the reason was for i could play 4x4 but it doesent work i was talking with another OC member and he uses the same isp and he can play 4x4 he told me it might be my password that is to long any 1 knows whats the limit or how many leters u need?

i can play quake 3 and pso i now have 2 isp that only work with thes 2 games any 1 can help?

MasquedWarrior
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:31 pm
quote : #2
Just so everyone else knows, erb365 is using VTISP.

Anyway, the only other possibility I can think of is that it has something to do with the way the company's dialup servers in Canada are set up, compared to those in the USA. You could try dialing into one of VTISP's NJ or CA numbers, such as 1-418-4040. However, before you make the call, check to see how much money it would cost to make an international call!
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:08 pm
quote : #3
MasquedWarrior wrote:
Just so everyone else knows, erb365 is using VTISP.

Anyway, the only other possibility I can think of is that it has something to do with the way the company's dialup servers in Canada are set up, compared to those in the USA. You could try dialing into one of VTISP's NJ or CA numbers, such as 1-418-4040. However, before you make the call, check to see how much money it would cost to make an international call!

hmmm.. you know what you might actualy be right! maybe the numbers im using cant work with those games thx i will test serveral things.. so is 1-418-4040 the number you use? also i have bell isp that also only works with pso and quake 3 only the only isp i could play 4x4 max and star was with juno but for some reason it stoped working and i eaven made another isp so yea. right now im using VTISP

MasquedWarrior
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:45 pm
quote : #4
I have a theory. I don't think it's password length, it's the authentication protocol used. I know for sure that at least NBA 2K2 supports CHAP, but it can use PAP and SPAP if needed, although the last two protocols are less secure. It's possible that EVO 4x4 and PSO can also use CHAP, but that the other currently online games can't. One can easily use a wiretap to record the password if it is sent with SPAP or PAP, which is why some dial-up servers no longer support them.

I will test this theory with my dialup server, and post my results.
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:27 pm
quote : #5
MasquedWarrior wrote:
I have a theory. I don't think it's password length, it's the authentication protocol used. I know for sure that at least NBA 2K2 supports CHAP, but it can use PAP and SPAP if needed, although the last two protocols are less secure. It's possible that EVO 4x4 and PSO can also use CHAP, but that the other currently online games can't. One can easily use a wiretap to record the password if it is sent with SPAP or PAP, which is why some dial-up servers no longer support them.

I will test this theory with my dialup server, and post my results.

im using bell's free dialup right now and only quake 3 an pso can go online 4x4,maxpool and starlancer wont go online with bell's dialup idk why..

MasquedWarrior
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:18 pm
quote : #6
I have disproven at least part of my theory. NFL 2K2, Ooga Booga, EVO 4x4, and Maximum Pool all support CHAP. Additionally, at least EVO 4x4 and Maximum Pool support MS-CHAP v. 1, which surprised me a bit. However, NFL 2K2, EVO 4x4 and Maximum Pool DON'T support MS-CHAP v. 2. I haven't tested any others, but it's possible that Quake 3 and PSO support v. 2, which could explain why they can connect to Bell dialup, but the others can't.
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:54 pm
quote : #7
MasquedWarrior wrote:
I have disproven at least part of my theory. NFL 2K2, Ooga Booga, EVO 4x4, and Maximum Pool all support CHAP. Additionally, at least EVO 4x4 and Maximum Pool support MS-CHAP v. 1, which surprised me a bit. However, NFL 2K2, EVO 4x4 and Maximum Pool DON'T support MS-CHAP v. 2. I haven't tested any others, but it's possible that Quake 3 and PSO support v. 2, which could explain why they can connect to Bell dialup, but the others can't.

wow i would have no idea... do you know any isp's that uses ms-chap v.1? in canada hopefully and how did you test all this? and NFL 2K2??? aint the servers terminated?

MasquedWarrior
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:23 pm
quote : #8
The servers for NFL 2K2 were indeed terminated, years ago. However, I didn't need to connect to the game servers. In order to test to see which authentication methods it used, I just needed to connect to the internet. After connecting to the internet, the game asks for a username for playing on the game servers, which would be futile, as they are, of course, offline.

More importantly, I confirmed today that neither Q3A nor PSO (I was using PAL ver. 2) support MS-CHAP v.2. So I unfortunately have no clue of what the cause of this problem is.
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:04 pm
quote : #9
a damn! well thx for testing and stuff i really hope i can find an awnser out their one day.. also i did a pc-dc server and then again PSO and quake 3 only worked.. the only time i went online with 4x4 and maxpool was with juno but now it doesn't work anymore. so im guessing that bell's isp's will only work with pso and q3 eaven if you use a pc-dc server

erb365
rank 9
Posted:
Wed May 26, 2010 4:37 pm
quote : #10
any updates?

MasquedWarrior
rank 9
Posted:
Thu May 27, 2010 7:51 pm
quote : #11
It could have to do with your dialup settings. When you dial out using Quake 3, do you use "Dialup settings 1," or "Dialup settings 2?" When I set "Dialup Settings 2," as the default set of credentials in Q3A, those were the credentials the Dreamcast used when dialing out with a game that is only capable of seeing the first set of settings, (Such as EVO 4x4.) In order to use the first set of credentials with that game, I had to boot up Q3A again, switch to "Dialup settings 1," and save the settings. Did you try this yet?
rank 9
Posted:
Thu May 27, 2010 8:27 pm
quote : #12
well i usualy use settings 1 but i think i know what you mean like maybe i could try puting same settings for both settings 1 and 2 and then save at 1 then boot 4x4 or max pool and see if it works i will let you know if it works

also would it make a diff if you were saved to settings 2 and in 4x4 you can change the settings with a keyboard what would it dial from? the settings you put in 4x4 or quake 3 settings 2?

MasquedWarrior
rank 9
Posted:
Thu May 27, 2010 8:38 pm
quote : #13
erb365 wrote:
...also would it make a diff if you were saved to settings 2 and in 4x4 you can change the settings with a keyboard what would it dial from? the settings you put in 4x4 or quake 3 settings 2?

It would use quake 3 settings 2. That bizarre quirk caused me some aggravation a while ago!
rank 9
Posted:
Thu May 27, 2010 8:43 pm
quote : #14
man you might of solved my problem that i was trying to solve for almost a year now.. Thx! (i need to go at microplay and clean my quake 3 disc Neutral its not reading ) i will test and let you know!

erb365
rank 9
Posted:
Fri May 28, 2010 9:26 pm
quote : #15
well i shure made an improvement (sorta) i still can't connect with my bell's isp but with my pc-dc server i can conect on quake 3 if i use a dns of 0.0.0.0
and pso fine but when i try 4x4 its connecting but i wont conect to the master servers like if i put 192.168.55.1 if i put 0.0.0.0 it wont work eitheir idk why and with starlancer when i use my bell it says connecting then fail but if i use my pc-dc server it says unable to connect to game spy. and if i put 192.168.55.1 on max pool it frezzes and if i put 0.0.0.0 it connects succesfully but then their is no servers eaven tho i have the right file.. i don't know maybe i should start a new thread if we can't figure this out thx man i man a little improvment Smile

edit
i made a new post incase you don't use pc-dc server