Previous  1, 2
MasquedWarrior
rank 9
Posted:
Sat May 29, 2010 9:15 am
quote : #16
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I have a suggestion to try when connecting to Bell's ISP. Try manually entering a primary DNS address, preferably the one your router uses. To find out which external DNS server your router uses, do the following:

in Windows 2000, Xp, or Vista,
1. Click "Start."
2. Click "Run."
3. Enter "CMD" (without any quotation marks,) into the white field, then press ENTER.
4. Type ipconfig/all
5. Press ENTER
6. Look under the section for the connection that computer uses to connect to the internet. (Mot likely, this is namd, "Local Area Connection," or "Wireless Network Connection.")
7. Look at the "DNS Servers" listed. Ignore any address that starts with "192.168.," 172.16.," or "10," because those are LAN addresses, which would be inaccessible from Bell's dialup connection. If there is any other address listed, it is an external DNS server on the internet. That is the address to try entering as the primary DNS address on your Dreamcast, when connecting using Bell's ISP.

If you could not find an Internet DNS address using the previous method, try logging into your router, and seeing its settings. I saw you make posts about port-forwarding, so you probably already know how to do the following steps, but I'll include them in case someone else needs to do this:

1. Find out your default gateway, by using steps 1-7 listed above. (Your default gateway is most likely 192.168.#.1, with "#" representing a number from 0 through 255.)
2. Use a computer connected to your network to open a web browser, such as Internet Explorer or Safari.
3. Type http:// into the address box, followed by the default gateway. (Example: http://192.168.1.1)
4. You will have to supply a user name and password to log in to the router. The username is probably: admin, and the password is probably:admin, too, unless you or someone else in your house has changed the username and password.
5. From here you will be taken to a GUI. These vary greatly from router to router, but probably somewhere you'll see a button labeled, "status," or something, which will lead to a page showing the router's internet address and DNS settings.

Or, you could try this address: 71.250.0.12 . I have set for computers on my network to use that as a DNS address, although it's possible that my ISP only gives access to that server to its subscribers.

EDIT: I just tested my dialup server with EVO 4x4, got similar results, and have determined that this is NOT a DNS-related problem, so most of what's above is probably irrelevant. It's most likely a routing / port-forwarding issue.

Also, when you connect to Bell's ISP using Quake 3, and it says, "Connected," with an IP address below it, what IP address is displayed? The address will probably vary from session to session, but the subnet should remain the same, provided you use the same phone number each time you connect.
rank 9
Posted:
Sat May 29, 2010 12:57 pm
quote : #17
i did not try the dns you told me to try beacas you said that wasent it. the ip i got from quake 3 was 209.226.116.7
i will try to forward some ports and see what it will do

erb365
rank 9
Posted:
Sat May 29, 2010 2:23 pm
quote : #18
i tryed using my isp's dns servers and no luck also tryed port fowarding and no go.. Sad

MasquedWarrior
rank 9
Posted:
Sun May 30, 2010 12:26 pm
quote : #19
When you try to connect to Bell's dialup ISP using Evo 4x4, what message is displayed? Please be specific, and enter the message word-for-word, if possible.

Also, what happens when you try to connect to Bell's dialup using Maximum Pool? Does the message, "Connection failed!" show up, or does something else happen? If you successfully connect using Max. Pool, but then see an empty list of rooms, that means your Dreamcast successfully called and connected to your ISP, but there's some routing failure, (assuming you have the latest patch downloaded.) If the "Connection failed!" message shows up in that game, your Dreamcast didn't even successfully connect to your ISP.
rank 9
Posted:
Sun May 30, 2010 1:23 pm
quote : #20
Ok with 4x4 if i put 192.168.55.1 as a dns then message i get connecting to master3.4x4evolution.com master4.4x4evolution.com ect verry slowly for about 10mins then it stays dns error enable to contact host and it beacoms local and it says you may not chat with other i don't see any players i can host a match but i don't see any nor anyone but if i put 0.0.0.0 it tryes to connect real fast and you see master3.4x4evolution.com master4.4x4evolution.com ect really fast like 2 secs and then it says enable to contact host and it beacoms local and it says you may not chat with other i don't see any players i can host a match but i don't see any nor anyone also it eaven tryes to connect to an ip some times i think 216.201.222.72

and with maximum pool if i put 0.0.0.0 as a dns and place my vmu in the with the correct file inside my controller it says connection succefull! then it goes to the server list with no server in the list but if i put 192.168.55.1 it frezzes like quake 3 if you put a dns entry

so i am connecting to my isp correctly

MasquedWarrior
rank 9
Posted:
Sun May 30, 2010 7:20 pm
quote : #21
It sounds to me like your dialup ISP, (Bell,) has a firewall set up to block certain ports, (whether or not the blocking is stateful I don't know.) Call Bell's customer service number, and see if you can get any information about it. If Bell says they do indeed use a firewall, see if it is possible for them to open up the necessary ports for EVO 4x4, etc, for the IP address assigned to your account each time you connect.
rank 9
Posted:
Sun May 30, 2010 7:53 pm
quote : #22
ok i will call them tomoro but what port do i say for max pool?

MasquedWarrior
rank 9
Posted:
Mon May 31, 2010 2:57 pm
quote : #23
I don't know. You could just ask to find out whether or not they have a firewall at all.

Actually, even if we find out they use a firewall, and you were to give them the ports you needed to use, I sort of doubt they'd be able to open the ports for you. With dialup, one's assigned IP address is almost always dynamic. (It changes each time you connect.) Firewalls are set to block/allow traffic based on source/destination IP address, not which user is connected. It's possible that they'd have some system for allowing the firewall to change its rules in response to users logging in, but I've never heard of such a system.
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:19 pm
quote : #24
ok i just call my isp (bell) and they said that they do not have any firewall on their side with dialup and high speed and their not blocking any ports he said it may be that the games are not compatible with the isp i belive that while i use the isp as dialup but when i use my pc-dc server i get realy far to the point that im at the server list so im not to shure whats the problem

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:29 pm
quote : #25
I talked with MasquedWarrior about your ISP problems earlier and we thought pinging the host name (master.4x4evolution.com) might work to see if you can resolve that through your computer, but I tried and it's an unreachable address. They may have disabled pinging since the host name can be resolved, just not pinged.

erb365
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:53 pm
quote : #26
yes i tryed that and i got no response but one my dreamcast on pc-dc server some times when i see master4.4x4evolution.com it changes to an ip some times

erb365
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:34 pm
quote : #27
i know this is an old post but i still got the same problem lol sorry if im anoying with this but here is a video of the problem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK_E5eojPw8

i had gave up but now im trying again

-the server is on dmz

i hope this clear things up