Page Location: Home > Quake III Arena > Topic
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:29 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
On PC with more players, I can see how the Quad respawning so frequently could make sense. However with only 4 and often times fewer people playing, the Quad Damage item at the top of dm17 spawns way too frequently. I may look into possibly finding a way to adjust this, or replace the item with something else. Anything to make it so that the Quad doesn't spawn so regularly. It practically respawns as soon as the time runs out on the item currently in play.

Simply doubling the spanw time of the item on dm17 would help out so much.

Feel free to lend your thoughts on the matter.
Posted:
Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:57 am
quote : #2
Lets test it this friday. I agree - the quad has a short respawn time - but I dont feal its breaking the game.
Posted:
Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:18 am
quote : #3
I think it breaks the game because with so few players, it forces people to go after the Quad Damage whether they want to or not. For example, lets say you keep going for the quad damage, and are picking the item up so frequently that you practically are dealing quad damage the entire map. This forces me to start going after the quad damage in an effort to prevent you from picking up the item... and since it spawns so frequently... it means all I am doing is trying to prevent others from getting the item in a veign attempt to have a normal deathmatch. So the entire round turns into a quarrel over this 1 item at the top of the map. So that is why i think the respawn time of the item needs to be tweaked. In a normal game of 16 players it wouldn't be a problem, but on the DC with only 4 players, the respawn time of the Quad Damage item should be re-adjusted on The Longest Yard.
Posted:
Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:07 pm
quote : #4
lordnikon wrote:
......it forces people to go after the Quad Damage whether they want to or not. For example, lets say you keep going for the quad damage, and are picking the item up so frequently that you practically are dealing quad damage the entire map. This forces me to start going after the quad damage in an effort to prevent you from picking up the item... and since it spawns so frequently... it means all I am doing is trying to prevent others from getting the item in a veign attempt to have a normal deathmatch. So the entire round turns into a quarrel over this 1 item at the top of the map.

Yes Nikon - but thats the way how 2 handle that stage. All you said is correct - if Im playing this stage and I hear the quad arrives - Im breaking off any fight and try 2 get the quad. If Im not the first at the top of the botom - thats not a prob. See - only in that stage, you can run away at evry point in the stage - simple jump into space. What Im trying 2 say is - its easy 2 save your health and being the next quad owner. I cant realy explain - my engl. isnt simple good enough. The short respawn time - means more action. Without that short respawn time - dudes like you - would sit at the respawn point of the rail all over the time (dont take it personal - respect for rail handling).
Posted:
Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:15 am
quote : #5
Damn I miss my dreamcast.

I remember playing quake 3 online for the dreamcast. When ever I did I would be consider a noob for getting the quad damage. I actually never bother getting it. When ever i would play it no one would grab the quad damage item.

-Drez01-
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:32 am
quote : #6
Ya, i remember back when it was a given that you did not touch the quad or powerups, @ red light 1vs1 server anyways. On full DM gameplay i can see the quad be'n ok and i agree that it spawns way to fast on dc_map19. I don't think it is possible to change the respawn time or to disable powerups in Normal quake mode. Add a mod and this becomes easy.
example: on noghost mod, cmd is g_respawn_powerup (default=120) <--The time in seconds it will take for a powerup, like quad, to spawn again after being picked up.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:34 pm
quote : #7
I have noghost running for a simple server message to inform PC players that the OC servers are for Dreamcast users only. So that is already in place. The only catch is, I would only want to adjust the quad on the one map, not all of them. Is it possible to do that with noghost?
Posted:
Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:45 pm
quote : #8
i don't think so, but 120 seconds should be the default respawn time in most maps.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:47 pm
quote : #9
Items respawn at different time rates depending on the map. It is not the same for every item on every map.
Posted:
Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:20 pm
quote : #10
I just meant the power ups respawn time, but your right and it might vary on every map.

fallout
rank 16
Posted:
Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:13 pm
quote : #11
Type: PAL
You can do what you want with Carnage mod spawnwars feature, you can add additional items/weapons anywhere on the map or modify allready placed . It's actually far more superior then noghost, and i advise any server operator to use it, and if it's only for more moderating features

http://nemesis.tilion.org.uk/
grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:06 am
quote : #12
Metal Hedgehog wrote:
Damn I miss my dreamcast.
When ever I did I would be consider a noob for getting the quad damage.

That's so stupid. The quad damage is part of the game - so I dont see any reason for calling ppl noob.