Page 1 of 3
brourke228
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:25 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hi, I was following this guide http://maturion.de/dreamcast/mterlouw/ . I'm trying to get windows xp working as a dial server, but can't get the modem to respond to the call. There's no noise coming from the modem at all. I've followed all the steps and I have a line voltage inducer set up, but can't seem to get the modem to respond. I have gotten this working on win98 on a separate computer, but I'm having some trouble here. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the modem log:

Basically it just keeps showing this over and over again.

01-20-2010 17:09:35.406 - Send: AT+FCLASS=8<cr>
01-20-2010 17:09:35.406 - Recv: <cr><lf>ERROR<cr><lf>
01-20-2010 17:09:35.406 - Interpreted response: Error
01-20-2010 17:09:35.406 - Waiting for a call.
01-20-2010 17:09:35.406 - Send: AT+FCLASS=8<cr>
01-20-2010 17:09:35.406 - Recv: <cr><lf>ERROR<cr><lf>
01-20-2010 17:09:35.406 - Interpreted response: Error
01-20-2010 17:09:35.406 - Waiting for a call.
01-20-2010 17:09:35.421 - Send: AT+FCLASS=8<cr>
01-20-2010 17:09:35.421 - Recv: <cr><lf>ERROR<cr><lf>
01-20-2010 17:09:35.421 - Interpreted response: Error
01-20-2010 17:09:35.421 - Waiting for a call.

The guide I was reading says this at the bottom of the "Tricking Windows into Answering the Line" page in reference to the binary entry in the registry for "Responses" for the Unimodem, "If you try to connect and you don't hear your PC's modem screeching, then you may have to check your modem logs to see if the modem is sending something different."

I'm not sure exactly what it means by this, my modem log simply shows an error. Though I suspect the "Response" registry entry is the problem.

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:13 pm
quote : #2
could be, also try changing out the batter in the voltage inducer. I had to add a fresh one.
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:17 am
quote : #3
Yeah the battery is brand new. I pretty much gave up on trying to get XP working by itself. I ended up installing windows 98 SE into VMware player. Now i got new problems lol . I can at least get it to connect though. But now it just seems to go incredibly slow and then it just gives up. I tried getting phantasy star working and it stops after you choose which ship to go on. I've got my computer in a DMZ on my router, all the ports are forwarded on Win98 to Dreamcast with winroute, and I disabled my firewall on my computer. Can't figure this out. Instead of working with 2 networks now i have 3 to deal with. The network adapter for VMware is using NAT; I'm not sure if that makes a difference. It seems to have its own DNS server which then gets forwarded to the router's. So I don't know if this is a dns problem or what. When I tried this on my other computer with windows 98 as its own partition it just gave me an error on dreamcast saying "could not connect to host" when the DNS wasn't right, but that isn't what's happening here. When I try loading google in the web browser it just downloads like 4kb and then decides to stop downloading, but it still shows the page loading.

It shows the dreamcast connected at 33kbps btw. My computer is sending 25times as much data as its receiving from dreamcast though.

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:38 am
quote : #4
I have the same problem depending on which linux distro I'm using. Suse for example is always blocking the needed ports for pso it seems. However ubuntu 8.10 works fine...with the occasional hang as I haven't figured out a good method for port mapping in linux.

VMware must be blocking something. I would try running the OS on bare metal.
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:09 am
quote : #5
I've been trying to avoid that because my hard drive uses SATA, which from what I've read isn't recognized by Windows 98. There's apparently a workaround by putting your Bios in to legacy mode or something or another . But this ends up destroying your Windows XP installation?

I read this here:
http://www.flaterco.com/kb/W98.html

So If that's true I would have to reinstall windows xp in addition to installing windows 98.

I'm also running ubuntu 9.10 on another partition, but I'm not quite as tech savvy when it comes to linux. It would probably end up being more difficult for me to set up.

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:29 am
quote : #6
if you followed the guide here, you can follow Ryuchan's guide. Only problem is that we haven't figured out a good way to do port mapping yet.

Also, I've only had real success with ubuntu 8.10
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:48 am
quote : #7
I'll try giving it a shot on ubuntu later . How long did it take you to set up on there?

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:08 pm
quote : #8
well the first time took a while, but now from a fresh os install I can be setup within 10minutes

Edit: just finished testing with Ubuntu 8.10, 9.04, and 9.10. All with one game

mgetty is unreliable in 9.10 and keeps timing out waiting for the 1st and 2nd "OK". Though sometimes it will get it right away. I haven't been able to start a game with it.

9.04 just doesn't let me get past the ship list very often. When I do, it freezes before I can load the team list.

8.10 is the only one that has worked for me. I haven't tried 8.04 LTS.

I've also tried Opensuse 11.2 kde. It has the same problem as Ubuntu 9.04
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:43 pm
quote : #9
Should I install 8.10 instead? Or is there a way to downgrade your current version.

Also , can ubuntu be installed onto a usb hard drive?

One other question, will it make a difference if I'm using 32bit or 64bit?

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:57 pm
quote : #10
Don't be afraid to ask questions. When it comes to techy stuff like this there's always something taken for granted.

You might as well try with 9.10 and post your results. It would help me in troubleshooting anyway :p

But it's probable that you'll have similar problems as I have. If that's the case then absolutely go with 8.10

To be safe, I wouldn't blindly update everything when prompted as it will give you a new kernel among other things that might mess things up.

There's no way to downgrade unfortunately. Sometimes if you have separate / and /home partitions you can just make a new / partition with 8.10 and keep your /home partition. But I believe only distros like opensuse do this. Also, 9.10 is probably in ext4 filetype and 8.10 is ext3.

And you absolutely should use 32bit. Even if you weren't doing a pc-dc server, 64 bit linux has a good ways to go.

And yes ubuntu can be installed onto a usb hard drive. I've never done it myself though.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

Best of luck
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:19 pm
quote : #11
Alright I'll try 9.10 first. The version I have installed on here is the 64bit version though. And it is ext3 file system btw, I had ubuntu 9.04 on here originally and updated it.

brourke228
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:04 am
quote : #12
So I'm configuring the "PPP" right now. The guide you linked me says to look for a file called "options.(INTERFACE)" under /etc/ppp . I understand that the (INTERFACE) is specific to my machine, but I don't see any file name resembling this in the slightest sense. How can I check if my modem driver is installed?

My modem isn't installed found solution here though: http://enli.co.cc/ubuntu/how-to-install-conexant-dial-up-modem-drivers-in-ubuntu/

Well that site says to download 2 different drivers from linuxant.com , but the website appears to be down so I'm at a loss here. I need both the alsa driver and an HSF driver because I have an "HDA" modem. I might be able to acquire the alsa driver elsewhere, but I don't know where I'm going to get an HSF driver from.
The kernal version is 2.6.31-16-generic

More specifically the modem is called Conexant HDA D330 MDC v.92 Modem .

Apparently Conexant can't make their own drivers for linux so linuxant is the only source for working driver for their modems. Linuxant wrote the drivers themselves and they charge 20$ for a driver download. So much for free open-source. I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay 20$ for a driver to use a modem I already own. It's unfortunate but Conexant is really to blame. I'm about to just download this off a torrent site I saw a link to a "cracked" version of the HSF driver package.

So I have the driver now and it only supports the i386 architecture. As I stated earlier, this install is 64 bit so I don't see any way this could work with the current set up. I'm gonna just go ahead and install ubuntu 8.10 32bit. Shouldn't take as long this time now that I have the modem driver.

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:01 pm
quote : #13
brourke228 wrote:
So I'm configuring the "PPP" right now. The guide you linked me says to look for a file called "options.(INTERFACE)" under /etc/ppp . I understand that the (INTERFACE) is specific to my machine, but I don't see any file name resembling this in the slightest sense.

You have to create that config file.

sudo apt-get install gnome-ppp

use gnome-ppp to detect the modem. Hit setup and then detect modem. If it doesn't detect it, try running gnome-ppp as root.

sudo gnome-ppp

Mine is tty.ACM0 so my config file is named options.ttyACM0

Also, make sure your modem is supported in linux. I guess it is if there are drivers for it.

I don't know why you'd need ALSA drivers as that's just for audio I believe.

Once you install 8.10, resist the urge to hit the update button :p

In my experience, updating a bunch of stuff for an older distro really messes things up. If you MUST install new software, but sure not to update the kernel at least.
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:52 pm
quote : #14
Well I just tried that. I ran it as root and hit setup and then pressed detect, but it says "No modem was found on your system"

Its definately a driver issue and I do have the driver for it, but I'm have a lot of difficulty installing it.

There are 3 install options for this: .deb, .rpm, or source in .tar.gz file .
I first tried to install the .deb file and this is what happens:

brad@brad-laptop:~/Desktop/modem/Ubuntu_Binary_Packages$ sudo dpkg -i '/home/brad/Desktop/modem/Ubuntu_Binary_Packages/hsfmodem_7.60.00.04full_k2.6.20_15_386_ubuntu_i386. deb'
dpkg - warning: downgrading hsfmodem from 7.60.00.04full-k2.6.20-15-generic-1.ubuntu to 7.60.00.04full-k2.6.20-15-386-1.ubuntu.
(Reading database ... 102617 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace hsfmodem 7.60.00.04full-k2.6.20-15-generic-1.ubuntu (using .../hsfmodem_7.60.00.04full_k2.6.20_15_386_ubuntu_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement hsfmodem ...
Setting up hsfmodem (7.60.00.04full-k2.6.20-15-386-1.ubuntu) ...
Conexant HSF softmodem driver, version 7.60.00.04full

If you need license keys, assistance or more information, please go to:
   http://www.linuxant.com/

When reporting a problem for the first time, please send
us the file generated by "hsfconfig --dumpdiag".

No pre-built modules for: Ubuntu-8.10 linux-2.6.27-7-generic i686-SMP

Trying to automatically build the driver modules...
(this requires a C compiler and proper kernel sources to be installed)

Where is the linux source build directory that matches your running kernel?
[/lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build]

Building modules for kernel 2.6.27-7-generic, using source directory
/lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build. Please wait...

ERROR: Module build failed!
Please examine the log file "/tmp/hsfconfig-buildlog.txt" to determine why.

This is in the log file it says to check:

(cd /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build && make "CNXT_KERNELSRC=/lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build" "M=/usr/lib/hsfmodem/modules" clean)
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic'
rm -rf *.o GPL/*.o *.ko GPL/*.ko *.mod.c GPL/*.mod.c .*.cmd GPL/.*.cmd .tmp_versions  /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build/.tmp_versions/hsfosspec.mod  /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build/.tmp_versions/hsfserial.mod   /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build/.tmp_versions/hsfengine.mod  /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build/.tmp_versions/hsfpcibasic2.mod   /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build/.tmp_versions/hsfmc97ich.mod  /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build/.tmp_versions/hsfmc97via.mod   /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build/.tmp_versions/hsfmc97ali.mod  /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build/.tmp_versions/hsfmc97ati.mod   /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build/.tmp_versions/hsfmc97sis.mod  /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build/.tmp_versions/hsfsoar.mod
Unable to determine version of kernel source directory /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build
make: *** [check_kernelver] Error 1

And then this is what happens when i try to use the .tar.gz

brad@brad-laptop:~/Desktop/modem/HSF_Original_Package/hsfmodem-7.18.00.03full$ sudo make install
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/brad/Desktop/modem/HSF_Original_Package/hsfmodem-7.18.00.03full/nvm'
cd cvt && (find  hsfpcibasic2  hsfpcibasic2smart  hsfpcibasic2hsfi  hsfmc97  hsfmc97ali  hsfmc97ati  hsfmc97ich  hsfmc97sis  hsfmc97via  hsfcadmus2  hsfcadmus2smart | cpio -pdmu /etc/hsfmodem/nvm)
cpio: cannot remove current /etc/hsfmodem/nvm/hsfpcibasic2/Region/00C5: Directory not empty
cpio: cannot remove current /etc/hsfmodem/nvm/hsfpcibasic2/Region/00D2: Directory not empty
cpio: cannot remove current /etc/hsfmodem/nvm/hsfpcibasic2/Region/0083: Directory not empty
cpio: cannot remove current /etc/hsfmodem/nvm/hsfpcibasic2/Region/00DE: Directory not empty
cpio: cannot remove current /etc/hsfmodem/nvm/hsfpcibasic2/Region/00E8: Directory not empty
cpio: cannot remove current /etc/hsfmodem/nvm/hsfpcibasic2/Region/00DF: Directory not empty
cpio: cannot remove current /etc/hsfmodem/nvm/hsfpcibasic2/Region/005E: Directory not empty
cpio: cannot remove current /etc/hsfmodem/nvm/hsfpcibasic2/Region/007C: Directory not empty
cpio: cannot remove current /etc/hsfmodem/nvm/hsfpcibasic2/Region/008D: Directory not empty
cpio: cannot remove current /etc/hsfmodem/nvm/hsfpcibasic2/Region/00AD: Directory not empty
cpio: cannot remove current /etc/hsfmodem/nvm/hsfpcibasic2/Region/00E1: Directory not empty
cpio: cannot remove current /etc/hsfmodem/nvm/hsfpcibasic2/Region/00C9: Directory not empty
cpio: cannot remove current /etc/hsfmodem/nvm/hsfpcibasic2/Region/0064: Directory not empty
cpio: cannot remove current /etc/hsfmodem/nvm/hsfpcibasic2/Region/003E: Directory not empty
cpio: cannot remove current /etc/hsfmodem/nvm/hsfpcibasic2/Region/00A7: Directory not empty
cpio: cannot remove current /etc/hsfmodem/nvm/hsfpcibasic2/Region/00F2: Directory not empty
cpio: cannot remove current /etc/hsfmodem/nvm/hsfpcibasic2/Region/0062: Directory not empty
cpio: cannot remove current /etc/hsfmodem/nvm/hsfpcibasic2/Region/00CA: Directory not empty
cpio: cannot remove current /etc/hsfmodem/nvm/hsfpcibasic2/Region/00E0: Directory not empty
105 blocks
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/brad/Desktop/modem/HSF_Original_Package/hsfmodem-7.18.00.03full/nvm'
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/brad/Desktop/modem/HSF_Original_Package/hsfmodem-7.18.00.03full/scripts'
install -m 700 hsfconfig hsfstop hsfmodconflicts rchsf hsfdcpd /usr/sbin
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/brad/Desktop/modem/HSF_Original_Package/hsfmodem-7.18.00.03full/scripts'
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/brad/Desktop/modem/HSF_Original_Package/hsfmodem-7.18.00.03full/modules'
rm -rf "/usr/lib/hsfmodem/config.mak" "/usr/lib/hsfmodem/modules/imported" "/usr/lib/hsfmodem/modules"
mkdir -m 755 -p /usr/lib/hsfmodem/modules
(cd .. && find config.mak modules/imported -depth -print | cpio -pdmu /usr/lib/hsfmodem)
5082 blocks
find . \( -name COPYING -o -name '*.sh' -o -name '*.[ch]' -o -name '*.mak' -o -name '[Mm]akefile' \) -print | cpio -pdmu /usr/lib/hsfmodem/modules
1830 blocks
find binaries -depth -print | cpio -pdmu /usr/lib/hsfmodem/modules
0 blocks
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/brad/Desktop/modem/HSF_Original_Package/hsfmodem-7.18.00.03full/modules'
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/brad/Desktop/modem/HSF_Original_Package/hsfmodem-7.18.00.03full/diag'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `install'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/brad/Desktop/modem/HSF_Original_Package/hsfmodem-7.18.00.03full/diag'
install -m 444 LICENSE /usr/lib/hsfmodem

To complete the installation and configuration of your modem,
please run "hsfconfig" (or "/usr/sbin/hsfconfig")
brad@brad-laptop:~/Desktop/modem/HSF_Original_Package/hsfmodem-7.18.00.03full$ sudo hsfconfig
Conexant HSF softmodem driver, version 7.18.00.03full

If you need license keys, assistance or more information, please go to:
   http://www.linuxant.com/

When reporting a problem for the first time, please send
us the file generated by "hsfconfig --dumpdiag".

No pre-built modules for: Debian-lenny/sid linux-2.6.27-7-generic i686-SMP

Trying to automatically build the driver modules...
(this requires a C compiler and proper kernel sources to be installed)

Where is the linux source build directory that matches your running kernel?
[/lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build]

WARNING: the kernel version () defined in
/lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build/include/linux/version.h
does not match the currently running kernel (2.6.27-7-generic)
The cause of this problem is an incorrect kernel source path.
Please check that /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build points to the right tree.
The cause of this is usually a missing or unconfigured
kernel source tree (and sometimes an incorrect directory or symbolic link).

However, proper /boot/config-2.6.27-7-generic was found.
Would you like to try using it (in a temporary kernel tree)? [yes] yes

Unable to prepare temporary kernel tree

First, ensure that the proper kernel source and compiler packages
from your distribution vendor and/or the community are installed.

The Linux kernel can then be reconfigured by running "make menuconfig"
under the kernel source directory (usually /usr/src/linux).

Verify that the proper options for your system are selected.

Then compile and install your new kernel (for more information about
this procedure, see the README file under the kernel source directory),
reboot the system using the new kernel, and re-run "hsfconfig".

I tried using the make menuconfig commmand it just gave aanother error

brad@brad-laptop:/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7$ sudo make menuconfig
 *** Unable to find the ncurses libraries or the
 *** required header files.
 *** 'make menuconfig' requires the ncurses libraries.
 *** Install ncurses (ncurses-devel) and try again.
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/dochecklxdialog] Error 1
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2
brad@brad-laptop:/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7$

Let me know if this makes any sense to you because I am very confused.

Last edited by brourke228 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:17 am; edited 2 times in total

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:17 pm
quote : #15
what modem is this?

also, try installing kernel-source in synaptic

as well as

sudo apt-get install build-essential