Topic: DC-PC... MAC?!

Page 1 of 1
soul21
rank 4
Posted:
Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:05 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hey guys Got some cool instructions if noone EVER knew that dreamcast dialup server can be done ON A MAC
And VERY Easy toO!!
I couldnt get XP to work on a few systems with a few 56kcards...
Nothing old enough for 98 here
Couldnt get anything to work right in Linux either haha

Had this random Imac G3 sitting here and stumbled upon These Mac Instructions!

http://www.asyserver.com/~kirwin/dc-modem-to-modem.html

its really easy and works well
I dont know what FINK is or minicom or wahtever is
I used the CU exe there for download

Want to play Quake 3 too Anyone know why i cant see servers on my list? hmm oh well
Specify IP works
Whats some server IPs?
Might try starlancer sometime too
=)

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:18 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Typically servers don't show up in the Q3 master list in a PC-DC environment. We don't know why this is. However you can input server addresses. OC hosts 2 dedicated servers:

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9400

So you were able to get this working confirmed on a MAC?
Posted:
Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:49 pm
quote : #3
Yes I got this working on an IMACg3 lol
it was very easy

Thanks i didnt know the master server list wont show like this BUT

I was able to connect to the 2 DC TALK servers FFA and CTF .. With 300-400 ping lol oh well

Using the Specify IP address in quake 3

However i tried those 2 you gave me and they dont work QUake 3 just sais ?????

EDIT!:
Sorry nevermind I just tried it right now and i can get to the server 265ping lol

Had to do the ol SWAP trick for the blind dial thing... Dont have a phone line here LOL So how did i do it??
Played a dial tone on my computer , Wired in a phone cord to one of my speakers lol It just has to be loud enough to trick the dreamcast No Headphone Must be amplified enough

EDIT2:

With everything understood through the tutorial...
HERES HOW SIMPLE IT IS!!!!
All I did and do simplified is :
1. Download the CU.tar ; Extract the CU.exe and place it in my documents folder
2. Open 2 terminals and gain root
3. First terminal window " /Users/mike/cu -l /dev/cu.modem -s 57600 " -or 115200 ***-
4. Hit enter . Will say "Connected." and you have a command fline for modem ___
5. Type " ATA" hit enter when the Dreamcast dials in and it will answer and connect
6. Will say "CONNECT 57600 " and all this glop {&{*}{$}%{{{#{{}] blahblah...
7. Second terminal window have already to go " pppd -detatch /dev/cu.modem 57600 192.168.3.1:192.168.3.2 " -or 115200 ***-
8. Right when the "CONNECT 57600" Enter that in and PPP will take over

THATS IT !! should be connected

*** - I use 115200 because i read somewhere Dreamcast communicates with its modem at 115200 but still only 57600 over the line anyway ..
i dont know why i do that lol you can use whichever one you want

******Your setup may be different then mine and therefore may have to type something different read the tutorial well before doing this******

Set Dreamcast's DNS to that of the macs
- Use " nslookup blah " will show you the DNS
Just mess around with the DNS settings and test yourself you will get it

!Quake 3 gets a server list too!! DNS set to same as Mac's

edit:
I keep forgetting to tell people to make sure Internet sharing is enabled. It sometimes shuts off too.
To enable go to System Preferences, Sharing, and Internet.

jjc5150
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:00 pm
quote : #4
I can confirm that YES this does work.

I have been researching this exact idea for quite some time, and have been working on it on and off for the past year or so. So out of the blue, Soul21 joins the site and mentions this in another post - I read it and PM him immediately, and thankfully Soul21 has been helping me with this matter on and off for the past 2 weeks thru PM.

It can be a bit tricky to set up at first, but once you understand how the initial setup works, its not too hard to do.

I got mine working with a similar machine as Soul21's, and im going to test it with another mac just to make sure, and also see how it runs, etc.
I can also confirm that this setup works with BOTH type A and B Dreamcast modems (no voltage needed), although the type A model seemed to run a bit smoother / quicker.

Once again, a BIG THANKS to Soul21, for helping me with all of this Very Happy
Jabber ID: JJC5150@jabber.org
soul21
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:50 pm
quote : #5
jjc5150 wrote:

I can also confirm that this setup works with BOTH type A and B Dreamcast modems (no voltage needed), although the type A model seemed to run a bit smoother / quicker.

I have not confirmed this, I have another dreamcast with a model B modem (no voltage) And I could not get it to connect, Didn't ever want to go through the trouble with this line voltage inducer thing. When I would answer the line on the mac it would just act as though there was nothing on the line, "NO CARRIER"

Model A modem works great though.

jjc5150
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:20 pm
quote : #6
2 more machines successfully finished testing. A G3 Mac Laptop running osx 10.3, and a G4 tower running osx 10.4.
Both Type A and B Dreamcast modems were tested, and both worked, although type/model A is recommended.
All 3 macs that were tested all had/used stock internal modems.

As written in the pc/dc server guide here at the site, ports will need to be opened for starlancer and 4x4 evo.

So, after all of this, I can successfully say, that this method / technique should work with almost any "G Series" mac computer running OSX 10.2 and higher and a Dreamcast with a Model A (preferably) Modem.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:14 am
quote : #7
Great job, thanks for the added testing jjc5150 Wink
Posted:
Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:53 pm
quote : #8
if i have a type b modem is there a way to avoid building my own line voltage inducer? Not very electronically skilled, unfortunately.... will any USB rj45 modem have voltage pre-built in it? Such as the apple 56k dialup modem i have for my mini? Or will i need a different, specific external modem, one which can induce voltage? Do those even exist?

jjc5150
rank 11
Posted:
Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:49 am
quote : #9
Hi very good question, and to be honest I dont know Rolling Eyes

Is the mac mini a G4 or an Intel Mac?

In theory most usb modems provide voltage, BUT the problem is that with a standard pc/dc setup you need a modem that supports voice. I honestly dont know if the macs I tested had an internal voice modem or not - so im not sure if this is a needed item/situation for the mac setup.

I say test it with what you have and try it out - with my testing i got it to work with both modems, and more or less both worked - had to fiddle a little more with the type B tho.

try it and see if it works for you, if it doesnt - you should be able to get a type A modem on ebay for like 10$ - I just recently got one for all of this testing myself.

The one thing I would like to point out and say to end the discussion so to speak,.....is this -

The macs Myself and Soul21 used for this are OLDER G SERIES Macs - were talking like 2004 and previous models. If the Mac is an Intel Mac you can try more testing yourself, but in my opinion its not going to work - reason being, an intel mac is basically a windows vista/7 pc running osx. and obviously all the hardware and technology is new.

So my theory is - if you need a pc from 1998 to 2002ish for a pc/dc server - than u need a mac from the same era as well - why? because of the hardware used in that time / era. And those were the models that were tested successfully.
Xatruio
rank 6
Posted:
Sun May 02, 2010 11:25 pm
quote : #10
i've got a march 2009 intel mini running 10.6.3 (shipped with 10.5.6). Definitely not a powerpc G-series.

jjc5150
rank 11
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2010 2:24 am
quote : #11
Well Xatruio,
All I can say is give it a shot, theres always a 50/50 chance that it may work. If you do get it to work please let us know,....Best Of Luck! Very Happy
Xatruio
rank 6
Posted:
Mon May 10, 2010 5:55 pm
quote : #12
i've actually an idea using the graphical interface. I'm gonna test it out on both revision A and revision B dreamcast modems. Report back asap.