Page 1 of 1
Saturn
rank 11
Posted:
Sat May 01, 2010 4:14 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Hey, i haven't done a thread for a very very long time, and since i've looking into buy a BBA for my beloved Dreamcast, i have a few questions that i'd like answered.

Firstly - Is it worth getting? I love the idea of being able to go on my Dreamcast through a Broadband connection instead of ole Dial-up but since only Phantasy Star and Quake 3 are the only games left that still uses the BBA is it worth the high price just for those games?

Second - I am using a PAL console, i am aware that the BBAs work on all types of Dreamcast but i was wondering what i have to use to set up my Broadband adapter because it never came out in this region, theres nothing i can use to adjust settings.

Thirdly - I have a rough idea where i can buy one (Ebay) but i was wondering if anyone here was selling one or know a good/trusted place where i can purchase one if its worth getting.

If anyone can help me out here, it would be greatly appreciated. (Sorry about the poor English if there is any)
PSO: Saturn

Selling my Dreamcast Broadband Adapter, contact me via private message if you are interested
Mazonemayu
rank 27
Posted:
Sat May 01, 2010 10:58 pm
quote : #2
I have a pal dc & it works fine with a bba. as for setting it up, I believe I did mine with xdp (or whatever its called)

if you buy stuff like that on ebay from someone who has high feedback points or an ebayshop, it'll usually arrive safely Mr. Green

Blue Rogues...Attack!!!
Saturn
rank 11
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2010 5:04 pm
quote : #3
Ok awesome, one final question. Would i be able to plug an ethernet cable from the BBA to my laptop and bridge the connection?

Selling my Dreamcast Broadband Adapter, contact me via private message if you are interested
SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2010 6:43 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Make sure it's a crossover cable. Then, yes.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
Saturn
rank 11
Posted:
Tue May 04, 2010 4:51 pm
quote : #5
Ok, so can someone explain to me why i need a crossover cable? (Sorry i'm asking stupid questions, but its just so i can fully understand how this works)

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Tue May 04, 2010 5:02 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
A straight cable is the same on both ends. Pin 1 on one end is connected to pin 1 on the other end, so on and so forth. A crossover cable has four of the wires switched, so pin 1 on one end goes to pin 3 on the other and pin 2 goes to pin 6. The reason they're switched is because a standard ethernet port has seperate TX (transmit) and RX (receive) lines. If you use a straight cable between two network interface cards, the TX of one card goes to the TX of the other and the same applies to the RX. In that case, the transmitters have no one to receive their data and the receivers have no one to send them data.

The crossover cable's reversed pins means the TX on one side goes to the RX on the other and vise versa. The reason switches and routers can use a straight cable is because they're switched internally.

Saturn
rank 11
Posted:
Wed May 05, 2010 8:41 am
quote : #7
Ahhh ok, i get you now. Great i managed to find one at a really cheap price on Amazon, so i'll pick that one up now.

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Thu May 13, 2010 6:09 am
quote : #8
CLOSED Mr. Green
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:41 am
quote : #9
What model of BBA is the one that works for online play. I know there are two models and one does bugger all. I want to get a BBA in the near future see. Smile