TeamXlink
rank 8
Posted:
Sun May 02, 2010 4:56 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hello.

I have just realized that split-screen multiplayer in Quake 3 DreamCast is different then in normal multiplayer. Is there anyway to make it the same?

Thank you.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2010 7:55 am
quote : #2
I have not spent extensive time playing the game in split-screen mode. What specific differences are you noticing?
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2010 8:41 am
quote : #3
The HUD is completely different and instead of action models showing for armor, weapons, and power ups its just a little icon, there is also maps missing, in CTF there are only three maps available in split-screen.

EDIT:

Also, in split-screen, no messages ever pop up on screen, and the bots don't talk at all, also when you die the scoreboard is completely different.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2010 7:22 pm
quote : #4
Many of these features were adjusted to improve game performance. The default item icons originally render in 3D with polygons. Rendering these 2-4 times on the screen would result in framerate drops. So the simple icons are used instead, where they are just single images that rotate based on the players perspective in relation to their position.

Maps are missing because they would also cause the framerate to drop. Low poly maps are used to try and keep the game running as smooth as possible.

As for the HUD, in single player this takes up quite a bit of space on screen. So in multiplayer it was optimized to take up as little screenspace as possible.

One thing you can do is shutoff the HUD completly, so you just see your gun and crosshair. This is what I do actually during normal play. Though I am not sure if that translates the to offline splitscreen. I would assume it would though.
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2010 8:28 pm
quote : #5
That is what I thought.

Does it render through the resource saving way, or the graphical resource hungry way, online?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2010 8:30 pm
quote : #6
I don't understand your question. Could you elaborate?
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2010 8:44 pm
quote : #7
In online multi-player, is it the same as it is in split-screen or in normal multi-player?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue May 04, 2010 7:53 am
quote : #8
Online it is the same as single player.
Posted:
Sat May 08, 2010 11:09 am
quote : #9
Yes, for split screen Quake 3 on the Dreamcast the texture quality is greatly reduced, and the weapon icons are made into symbols, just for the sake of keeping a more consistent framerate. Its noticeable, but it really doesn't distract from the overall gameplay, and I would much rather have a consistent framerate, rather than pretty textures.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat May 08, 2010 1:38 pm
quote : #10
Yea the idea of having higher resolution textures at a cost of framerate is so deceptive. Because, even though standing still the textures would look great... as soon as you move you are seeing fewer frames, so you are seeing those textures less than you would otherwise.
Posted:
Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:40 pm
quote : #11
Does anyone know the command to enable this for use outside of split-screen?

Edit: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:02 pm
Wow, in 4 player split screen, it is really toned down. If you get a chance you should take a look, I wish it was possible to get the HUD in an online game, it is clean and simple.

-Drez01-
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:08 am
quote : #12
Ya, i prefer the simple items on the split screen mode. They are much easier to spot and identify.

TeamXlink
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:37 pm
quote : #13
-Drez01- wrote:
Ya, i prefer the simple items on the split screen mode. They are much easier to spot and identify.

Yeah, I've been trying to find the command for the Dreamcast version.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:52 pm
quote : #14
Oh yea I would LOVE to use simple item icons. However I think they are only envoked in splitscreen. I could never get them to show up online.