1, 2  Next
erb365
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:46 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
When a console is released the following months or years they make different bundles/models but has the same original look also they may of had modified the system quite a bit for performance or cost efficiency without the consumers being too much aware.

So my question is:
Is their a way to distinguish a dreamcast's model? and if so whitch one is beater ex: beater fans, longer life span ect.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:02 am
quote : #2
Yea this can get pretty sketchy. The Dreamcast had many console revisions, even some that had visual appearance changes between models. One of the most striking visual changes is the carrot arrow on the front of the Dreamcast. In some early models it is clear plastic and a bit bubbly looking, but on other models it is solid gray and more flat.

See the differences here:

There is also the obvious "2000" revision models that removed proper MIL-CD support so that you could no longer play burned games. I believe these units refused to play any CD based media, but someone correct me if I am wrong.

Also, didn't some units have a liquid cooling system on the motherboard?

Also I think some units differ in terms of fan vent size and type.
Posted:
Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:19 am
quote : #3
Type: PAL
Also didn't some consoles have different fans? like one version had a weaker but more quieter fan, but another had a strong but noiser fan?
PSO: Saturn

Selling my Dreamcast Broadband Adapter, contact me via private message if you are interested
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:10 am
quote : #4
I believe so yea. I need to look at my DC consoles when I get home. I think some Dreamcasts had larger fan grills, or ones with wider air spaces, and also the fans themselves may have been of different types.
Posted:
Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:11 am
quote : #5
i think that there were even some that had louder laser disc reader

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:58 pm
quote : #6
There are three design changes to the Dreamcast's physical hardware that I am aware of:

The first is the fan. On most Dreamcasts, it's a simple fan in a plastic housing. In a later revision, the fan is in a metal casing that is attached to a heat pipe / sink combination for better heat transfer.

The second is the way the GD-ROM is connected. On some models, it's two ribbon cables that plug into the side of the motherboard. Later versions have a single connector on the bottom of the unit that plugs into the main board as the GD-ROM is installed.

The third is the modem. There are two versions - models 'a' and 'b' - which can be found on the label on the modem. Determining the other two changes are a bit harder. The fan change, if I remember correctly, appears more frequently on either the SA or SD versions and the older GD-ROM connector is found in WK models.

Edit: just found this site with some information a link to a really good picture of the first generation cooling system: link

erb365
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:38 pm
quote : #7
ok so for the Usa their is

HKT-3020
HKT-3021

and theirs also the numbers at the bottom of the dreamcast
like 0,1,2

if you have 2 you can't play cd-r games i think but what about the

HKT-3020
HKT-3021

are those the only versions? and how do you combine the numbers? is it like

HKT-3020 with a 0,1 or 2
HKT-3021 with a 0,1 or 2

and witch one do you think is better over all?

my dc is HKT-3020 with a 1

edit : also in an ebay description I read of a Dreamcast model that says that its a model number MK-50000, but were did the mk come from? and lordnikon is this one of the dreamcast with the gem instead of the grey flat carot plastik? i can't tell

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:09 pm
quote : #8
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
The third is the modem. There are two versions - models 'a' and 'b' - which can be found on the label on the modem. Determining the other two changes are a bit harder.

I am a doofus for not remembering to post this above before you lol

erb365 wrote:
lordnikon is this one of the dreamcast with the gem instead of the grey flat carot plastik? i can't tell

The first pic has the see through gem looking plastic, and the second picture has the flat gray part. Its not the tipped arrow part of the carrot that lights up orange when powered on, but the larger piece of the triangle above it that is different between each platform.
Posted:
Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:49 pm
quote : #9
ok but aside from all that how did the first box look like? like the original box

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:05 pm
quote : #10
Yes, the greatest cosmetic change (excluding limited editions) was the jewel. Every other aspect remained the same throughout it's production run.

erb365
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:43 pm
quote : #11
yes i know but do you guys know how did the US first box or US release box looked like? can you post a pic? and what did it came with

Nintari
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:26 pm
quote : #12
I'm pretty sure the US one looked like this

http://cdn1.ioffer.com/img/item/143/099/105/t025.jpg

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:16 am
quote : #13
Nintari wrote:
I'm pretty sure the US one looked like this

http://cdn1.ioffer.com/img/item/143/099/105/t025.jpg

That is the box that my Dreamcast came in. I'm not sure if they swapped up the box art throughout the lifespan of the Dreamcast.

NiGHTS and Sonic
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:28 pm
quote : #14
lordnikon wrote:

Also, didn't some units have a liquid cooling system on the motherboard?

Also I think some units differ in terms of fan vent size and type.

I've heared rumors of a liquid cooling system but I haven't varified that it is true. (forgive me for spelling but my brothers PC dose not have spell check on) Smile
Posted:
Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:22 pm
quote : #15
Not liquid cooling. Just a heatsink/fan. Check it out here http://www.gamesx.com/dreamcast/index2.htm