Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:47 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Well I managed to get my hands on a copy of Shenmue II recently, but I am hesitant to play it. One of my friends has got shenmue and I have played it a few times over the years, but never gotten far (never past the first disc ceom to think of it). So i was wondering if the storyline in Shenmue II relies on me having played/completed the first one? Or if I would enjoy the second one more if I have played first? Thanks, lozz.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:30 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
You'll definitely want to play the first one to get the backstory. Plus, you can import your Shenmue 1 save into Shenmue 2 (you're lucky having a PAL Shenmue 1 so you don't have to convert the save into your region) to retain your items / money. If that isn't a selling point, at the very least, you can watch the "movie" that was arranged from all of the cutscenes so you know what's going on.

Outrunner
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:03 am
quote : #3
Type: PAL
Spoiler: There's no point in passing the money from one game to another, since hes gonna lose it all anyway. Laughing

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:29 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
As previously stated, play through Shenmue 1 before you play through 2, it really allows you to get more involved with the world that is Shenmue.

zeleny
rank 6
Posted:
Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:28 am
quote : #5
This was also my concern but I now realise it isn't essential to play Shenmue I in order to enjoy Shenmue II. I almost gave up on the series since I tried playing the first game several months ago and couldn't get into it (found it a bit slow and boring). Then I tried Shenmue II few weeks ago and got hooked instantly. It's a lot more fast paced and action-oriented than its predecessor. Now I wanna back track and give Shenmue I a second chance since it's very much a story driven game and I sure would like to know more about Ryo and his past relationships, especially with some characters like Nozomi and Guizang that are occasionally mentioned in the sequel.