Topic: VGA Compatibility thread 2

Page 1 of 1
mauro2029
rank 5
Posted:
Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:17 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Cool thread, I recently got a VGA cable, so hopefully I'll be able to contribute to this list or whatever...
I'll make a more informed post later with my findings

For now, just off the top of my head: Anyone know I can trick Border Down to be accepted by my VGA cable?

Last edited by mauro2029 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total

mauro2029
rank 5
Posted:
Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:25 am
quote : #2
Oops... this was supposed to go on the VGA Compatibility thread.... I also realized I couldn't delete the post.... oh well..... anyway, whatever....

As long as I'm here, anyone know why games look a bit better on an old CRT monitor than on a fairly new LCD.
By better I mean.... on the 3rd level of Ikaruga, the heavy scrolling looks smoother on the CRT.
Also the CRT supports the NES and Atari Emulator... the LCD doesn't, I guess that means the CRT supports 320X240 resolution?

Info on my monitors: the CRT is a 14 inch Acer .... , the LCD is also an Acer, it's a 17 inch one, Model No. 1706A

Endymion
rank 3
Posted:
Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:57 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
There are lots of little reasons why some games may look better on a CRT.

First and probably most important for the Dreamcast is the resolution. Digital monitors have only one resolution and it can't change. The Dreamcast's resolution is "only" 640x480. Any LCD screen you are likely to buy today is not only much higher, but more importantly, it's just not that resolution at all. It might display the Dreamcast's resolution, but it has to sample it down and this often leaves artifacts to the image. If you have an LCD that has a resolution of 640x480 then it would look sharper.

Then there are other issues with LCD. LCD pixels cannot change as quickly as the phosphors on a CRT, this can leave a slight shadowing effect and blur the edges of moving objects in a small trail. Then there are other matters that may even be screen specific, televisions especially tend to be made to treat an image it receives as a video signal and not as a computer signal, processing things in an attempt to make it look nicer. This works for TV shows and videos, but not so well for computer images and games. There are plenty of digital monitors and HDTVs that have lots of options in the firmware to allow more control over the image it receives, if you ask around at AV forums you can learn a lot about what screens are better recommended for games of all generations.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:28 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Everything (and then some) is explained at the following link in a rather indepth piece that I wrote:

http://www.benpekarek.com/video_games_in_an_era_of_high_definition.html

We used to have a thread on display technologys, and CRT vs LCD, but it got grotesquely out of hand with people going so far as to post youtube videos, holding up DC controllers screaming into the camera "look there is no lag...". I am still trying to figure out how to approach allowing discussions on this without the thread descending into madness like it did in the past.

mauro2029, I will merge your VGA related content into the VGA thread, but won't be able to repair this topic until Monday morning. Smile