Page 1 of 1
Malak
rank 1
Posted:
Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:27 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hey everyone!

I was wondering if any of you use voice chat for online games on the DC and , if yes , what the preferred method is?

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:54 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Do you mean something along the lines of a ventrilo server or something?

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:06 pm
quote : #3
Type: Pal
In the past have used other consoles for voice chat whilst playing DC online games. Normally though I find that nearly all DC online games ahave a chat function that is good enough not to need an external option.

Laters
Posted:
Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:43 pm
quote : #4
I have heard that Ventrillo isn't very good. I have used Skype. You can have up to 10 people in a chat and the quality is better.

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:30 pm
quote : #5
In my years of playing Dreamcast online, I've honestly found that in most cases, the chat options already implemented in games to be sufficient.

Jetstor
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:15 pm
quote : #6
Hello! Never knew it was possible to chat with voice while playing online with DC. Do you mean using that mic that comes with Dreameye? And if not asking too much, which online games is this possible?

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:52 am
quote : #7
Type: PAL
Jetstor wrote:
Hello! Never knew it was possible to chat with voice while playing online with DC. Do you mean using that mic that comes with Dreameye? And if not asking too much, which online games is this possible?

Voice Chat wasn't ever an available option on DC (except for Alien Front and Planet Ring I think). The Guys above are mostly talking about using a PC application such as Skype or a seperate console in order to voice chat with people which you are also playing DC online with. Personally I'm not a massive fan of voice chat, I think it could ruin the experience of some games - like taking the veneer or atmosphere away. Plus, do you really want to hear McMonkey after his usual 10 basics vodka and coke Wink ?
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
Jetstor
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:56 pm
quote : #8
lozz wrote:
Voice Chat wasn't ever an available option on DC (except for Alien Front and Planet Ring I think). The Guys above are mostly talking about using a PC application such as Skype or a seperate console in order to voice chat with people which you are also playing DC online with. Personally I'm not a massive fan of voice chat, I think it could ruin the experience of some games - like taking the veneer or atmosphere away. Plus, do you really want to hear McMonkey after his usual 10 basics vodka and coke Wink ?

hehe got it, thx lozz! I agree, voice chatting can be very annoying sometimes, but for a sec I thought I could put that fancy mic for a use, apart Seaman! Laughing Anyway never heard of Alien Front or Planet Ring, I'll search for more information about these games and see if they ever sported voice chat options, thanks again!

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:19 pm
quote : #9
Type: PAL
lozz wrote:
Jetstor wrote:

ITS WHISKEY ON THE ROCKS YOU HARPEE!! Evil or Very Mad

But yes, keyboard is far more eloquent an interface for my DC communication "needs" ...Yes.
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:24 pm
quote : #10
lozz wrote:
Voice Chat wasn't ever an available option on DC (except for Alien Front and Planet Ring I think).

Well lozz you were right on the spot, Alien Front Online is described as"one of the first video games to feature online voice chat" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Front_Online). And Planet Ring seems to have quite an interesting/strange implementation of the function, as it was designed to be used to "guide the other player through the labyrinth using the microphone" but the result seems odd enough (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIVHsWpSh6k). Anyway, nothing like I had imagined to be useful nowadays...