1, 2  Next
Outrunner
rank 3
Posted:
Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:19 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Ok guys, I was thinking, since the Dreamcast Online thing is actually still pretty alive, how cool would it be to be able to have an e-mail on a @dreamcast.com domain, like back in the days when Dreamarena was alive?
It isn't impossible to do, we just need to set up an e-mail server with such domain name, and I don't think there is gonna be copyright problems, since SEGA dropped the Dreamcast TM...
What do you say?

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:03 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Is the domain registered to you?

Outrunner
rank 3
Posted:
Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:54 am
quote : #3
No, it was just an idea...
And we could design a Webmail client compatible with the TV's ...
I mean, oriented for the DC browser
---
Oh i was just reading that someone had done something like this before but it was a scam...

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:24 am
quote : #4
It could really only be done if we could get our hands on the domain.

After a quick search, the dreamcast.com domain is currently still owned by someone.

Outrunner
rank 3
Posted:
Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:27 am
quote : #5
Yes, I searched too, will only expire in 2011. But I was thinking what about a similar domain, like Dreammail?
Well, dreammail already exists... crap!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:37 pm
quote : #6
Interstingly enough you would want a very short address, because I think there is a limit to the number of characters you can enter into the Dreamcast Mail config screens if I am not mistaken (for pop3 access).
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:03 am
quote : #7
It would be interesting to get something setup through OC in order to play Sega Swirl online more easily..

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:10 am
quote : #8
gRimGrAvY014 wrote:
It would be interesting to get something setup through OC in order to play Sega Swirl online more easily..

The reason why people have difficulty playing Sega Swirl online is that nobody seems to grasp the concept of SMTP servers. It has been stated a million times, and is even in the Getting Online guide. There is nothing OC can do for email in relation to Sega Swirl that any other pop3 based email service already provides. Every pop3 email service is already compatible with the Dreamcast.
Posted:
Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:11 am
quote : #9
Why can't someone just create an smtp server? I don't understand that. I see guides all the time for that and if you use and old OS I think they come with that software. I know you could use your ISP's server but you don't have to.

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:23 am
quote : #10
Favrenation, read this. Creating a SMTP server wouldn't work because you couldn't access it if you are using a real ISP.

Favrenation
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:26 am
quote : #11
Ok but I can use outlook and thunderbird with google's SMTP. I have a PC-DC server so I could just use winroute to forward port 25

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:15 am
quote : #12
Are you using a real land-line dial-up ISP (not a PC / DC server) to access Google's SMTP?

Favrenation
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:25 am
quote : #13
I just said I used a PC-DC server so I use my broadband connection.

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:37 am
quote : #14
Then that doesn't count. You can do anything with a PC / DC server. The SMTP issue is for those who use a real ISP. Some can't access a created (or otherwise 3rd party) SMTP server because their ISP blocks it. And for a PC / DC server, the idea of "just creating a SMTP server" is moot again because you wouldn't have the ISP restrictions, so you can use an existing server.

Favrenation
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:48 am
quote : #15
SO what you are saying is that if two people with PC-DC connections they can play sega swirl with each other?