Page 1 of 1
Alec1382
rank 5
Posted:
Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:06 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hey guys. So I just got a PAL Dreamcast, and I'm having issues already. Probably something to do with the refresh rate being 50hz, because when I power it on, my TV flickers in black and white. I tested the Dreamcast on my monitor with VGA and had no issue. The thing is, it did this even before it booted the game, in the bios menu. I imagine it's something to do with my TV, a Toshiba CRT. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Posted:
Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:31 am
quote : #2
Type: PAL
It's because your TV probably doesn't support 50hz. I would suggest just using VGA, although, a lot of PAL games don't support it.
rank 5
Posted:
Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:53 pm
quote : #3
mcmonkey wrote:
It's because your TV probably doesn't support 50hz.

Hm. Don't most TV's support 50hz? My TV looks like it was made fairly late for a CRT, probably around 2000-2003. Anyway, I thought the PAL Dreamcast could run in 60hz. I know Shenmue supports 60hz. I might give that a shot. Thanks.

Update: If I select 60hz ingame, the flickering stops but there's still no colour.
Posted:
Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:11 am
quote : #4
Alec1382 wrote:
mcmonkey wrote:
It's because your TV probably doesn't support 50hz.

Hm. Don't most TV's support 50hz? My TV looks like it was made fairly late for a CRT, probably around 2000-2003. Anyway, I thought the PAL Dreamcast could run in 60hz. I know Shenmue supports 60hz. I might give that a shot. Thanks.

Update: If I select 60hz ingame, the flickering stops but there's still no colour.

That's because it's PAL 60hz, not NTSC. I guess you're TV doesn't support PAL, hence the loss of colour.

Alec1382
rank 5
Posted:
Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:07 am
quote : #5
brmanuk wrote:
That's because it's PAL 60hz, not NTSC. I guess you're TV doesn't support PAL, hence the loss of colour.

Aw, well that really sucks. Guess I'll have to find some workaround. Thanks for the help.
Posted:
Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:39 pm
quote : #6
Do you tryed a s-video cable?