Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
edku822
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:10 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I just traded in an old PS1 for DC.
I got NBA 2K2, baseball 2k2, NFL 2k2, virtua tennis, sega tennis 2k2, THPS 2, crazy taxi.
I love sports games, quick shoot 'em up type of games, and arcade type of games. not a big fan of long adventure type of games.
some questions for DC masters.
1. any recommendations for must have games for someone like me?
2. which one, quake III or unreal tournament? or both? and why both?
3. which one, sega rally 2, sega gt, metropolis street racer, test drive le mans? which is a must have and why? i'm leaning towards sega rally 2.
4. i saw shenmue on some top ten list, but is that like a long adventure type of game, like final fantasy or zelda? i don't really spend too much time playing games like that and figuring out stuff. how about soldier of fortune or rainbow six?
5. any good air combat games?
thanks for all your help.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:19 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Ok for first person shooters its definatly worth picking up Quake 3 beause its still online :D Unreal Tournament is also worth picking up primarily becase the game has over 60+ maps....which sends its offline replay value through the roof. Another FPS you must get is Outtrigger. It's an arcade style FPS, that can only be found on the dreamcast. The graphics fucking rock on it. So fluid.

If your looking for good arcade shootemups. Definatly check out the big 2. Ikaruga and Border Down are both examples of gaming genious. They are incredible games that should not be passed up. Other shootemups to look into are: GigaWing, GigaWing 2, GunBird, GunBird 2, Zero Gunner 2, Bangai O, and Mars Matrix.

Then also Psyvariar 2: The Will to Fabricate, and The Castle of Shikigami II are both coming to dreamcast in the following months (NEW RELEASES!!!!!).

I hope this helps. I'm sure others will have plenty more to say as well.
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:53 pm
quote : #3
Get shenmue Its a great game! Very Happy
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:30 pm
quote : #4
1. any recommendations for must have games for someone like me?
I always reccomend gunbird 2, Illbleed, and King of fighters dream match.

2. which one, quake III or unreal tournament? or both? and why both?
I like unreal better, but quake is still online so that's a plus.

3. which one, sega rally 2, sega gt, metropolis street racer, test drive le mans? which is a must have and why? i'm leaning towards sega rally 2.
I normally hate these kinds of games, but I love msr. Everything from the cities to the graphics to the music just clicks for me.

4. i saw shenmue on some top ten list, but is that like a long adventure type of game, like final fantasy or zelda? i don't really spend too much time playing games like that and figuring out stuff. how about soldier of fortune or rainbow six?
Shenmue is the kind of game where you can do whatever you want. I would highly reccomend it!

5. any good air combat games?
Aerowings, or at least my friend has both of them and he likes them. I don't really care for these types of games.

Hope that helps!
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:18 pm
quote : #5
Yes, Shenmue 1 and 2 are stunning games. but sounds like you don't wanna have to think, though you don't get stuck like Tomb Raider.

F355 is the best racing game, and is also online. But again, it's a sim that's recognised as the most realistic and challenging racer. Fantastic game.
You might like Vanishing Point, kinda like Burnout.

Jet Set Radio is also a great game.

OrochiSonic
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:41 pm
quote : #6
Other dc games that rock
Resident evil code veronica (but you have to think)
The powerstone series
The marvel vs capcom series
Starlancer
Omikron (lots of flaws, but it has bowie)
Maken x is also a cool little game with multiple endings.
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:44 pm
quote : #7
I don't think you'll like Shenmue all that much. I really liked it, but it is fairly slow paced and you need to put lots of hours into it.

As for racers, if you like arcade stuff, think about Daytona USA. No longer online, but if you like power sliding...

MSR is tough, but very cool. If you've ever played Project Gotham Racing (1 or 2) on the Xbox, well MSR on DC started it all.

Vanshing Point is another racer that gets overlooked (except by jools). I always liked the challanges and driving along city streets. A bit tougher racer than most, and you have to start with crappy cars so it takes time to get to the good ones.

Star Wars Pod Racer? Could have been better, but you might enjoy it.

OrochiSonic
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:51 pm
quote : #8
while shenmue is slow, true, it can also go at your own pace. So if you just wanna chill inthe arcade all day, or follow people around town to see where they go, then ou can. Or you can rush right through the story. Not too many hard puzzles, but a lot of asking questions. And a very memorable dub make shenmue for dc a game to get! Very Happy
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:02 pm
quote : #9
just get shenmue........u wont regret it
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:52 pm
quote : #10
U arent new to DC U are only late Smile
Posted:
Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:51 am
quote : #11
man i played UT for months with those maps offline so much fun ... I really want to play that online Crying or Very sad

WormyTheWorm
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:41 am
quote : #12
SegaRally1 is a classic.... SegaRally2 is crap
F355 races every 20mins.. 9:00pm / 9:20pm / 9:40pm ...and so on.

http://f355.tsx.org <---F355 race reports, and championship info is posted here.
edku822
rank 1
Posted:
Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:51 pm
quote : #13
thanks for all the replies. i'm so happy to see so many pro-dreamcasters out there, unlike some of my buddies who think that i'm crazy for getting dreamcast. all the sports games alone are totally worth it.
i tried to play MSR but was too dark and difficult, so i'm going to stick with sega rally 2.
i'll give schenmue a try, which one 1 or 2?
how about sonic 1 or 2? is that worth having cuz it's a classic? i remember playing it on genesis but didn't play it too much.
i think i'll invest in one fighting game, which one, soul caliber, street fighter, doa 2, marvel vs. capcom 2, capcom vs. snk, etc...
i've been looking up game reviews on www.gamespot.com, is that the best site for reviews?
thanks again for all your help.

Technofungk
rank 4
Posted:
Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:30 pm
quote : #14
Ok, time for me to contribute my 2 cents worth Smile

As you've already discovered, the Dreamcast has some of the best sports games in console history, thanks to Visual Concepts. Whether it's football, basketball, baseball hockey or tennis, you won't go wrong regardless of your sport of choice.

As far as DC racers, although I enjoy MSR and Sega Rally, one of my all time favorite racign games is TEST DRIVE LE MANS 24 HRS., and also TEST DRIVE WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP. Both games feature intense gameplay, and an amazing sense of speed (especially LeMans 24), plus the graphics and animation of each title are simply mind-blowing....even by today's standards. In addition, each game is quite long, so you probably won't finish each game in one night.

As far as SHENMUE is concerned, the game is truly groundbreaking and should be played by ALL gamers at least once. However, based on your comment against long adventure type games, I'm not sure that you should actually buy it. Of course, this is due to the fact that Shenmue can be quite slow and plodding, but amazing and true-to-life nonetheless. Maybe you should borrow the game from someone who is willing to lend it to you, or possibly purchase the game used at EB. I've actually seen it "used" for $9.99.....definitely worth it if you've got ten bucks to spend.

You also inquired about SOLDIER OF FORTUNE. Now, I'm not sure how eveyone else here feels about this game, but as far as I'm concerned, this game ROCKS on the Dreamcast. If you like FPS-type games, it's hard to go wrong with SOF. Besides being one of the goriest titles of its time, the gameplay was quite deep and involving. For a single player FPS, it's hard to go wrong with Soldier of Fortune.

Interested in "air combat" type games, eh? Well, STARLANCER isn't exactly "air" combat, but you'll probably enjoy it just the same. Just substitute air for space Smile Seriously, Starlancer is worth owning for the online gameplay. The extremely fluid online gameplay. Plus, the offline missions are pretty good too.

There are so many great games on the Dreamcast that I could probably type for days on end about them. The DC has AAA titles within every game genre. Are puzzle games your thing? Then check out CHU CHU ROCKET, WETRIX+, or BUST-A-MOVE 4. Do you like Sh'mups? Then the Dreamcast is your console! As already mentioned, You've got to own MARS MATRIX, IKARUGA, GIGAWING 1 & 2, and BORDERDOWN. Oh, and don't forget ARMADA.....the first shooter / RPG hybrid game.

Hopefully this will help you out. If I think of any more must-haves, I'll make sure to post them.

Technofungk
Posted:
Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:46 am
quote : #15
as for shenmue 1 or 2, I'd say get 1 first. It's really cheap and easy to find, and it would probably be better to play the shenmue games in order to fully understand the story. Shenmue 2 will be harder to come by, since it was never released on us dc so you gotta import.

More sweet games: Resident evil cv, maken x, powerstone 2, cannon spike, marvel vs capcom 2.