Page 1 of 1
Dalore
rank 10
Posted:
Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:29 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
After doing some searching I am amazed just how many variants there are of the humble VMU. Here in the UK it seemed as if we were stuck with the plain white/cream variety, but I may be wrong.

Do any users here collect the variants? It seems as there were many unique colours available in Japan, but what about over in the states? I suppose I was wondering if anyone here is trying to get a complete collection or even if any one knows just how many variants there are.

Bloodflow
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:49 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I've seen a lot of after market VMUs, but none as nice as an official ones. The first one I ever bought didn't even have a screen, and I didn't realize at the time that it was supposed to. So I ended up driving the game shop guy crazy exchanging copies of Seaman trying to find one that worked. I even bought a game DR thinking that would help, only to find out that I just needed a different style of VMU. There are no game stores around here that carry Dreamcast anymore. So I search online and find several different clear colors. I'll have to unpack some things but I think I have a jump pack that has a VMU built in. If I remember correctly I just used it for the rumble feature.

Mazonemayu
rank 27
Posted:
Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:53 am
quote : #3
I sort of collect em, when I have spare cash to blow that is (there's so many other dc stuff I still need Laughing )

as far as I know there's 57 official ones (could be more, but of those I have proof).
I only have 12 or so different ones atm, but I've been focussing heavily on completing my PAL collection this year (only 1 game to go WOOHOO), so I'll prolly start tracking down vmus again after newyear or so

Blue Rogues...Attack!!!
Dalore
rank 10
Posted:
Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:06 am
quote : #4
Type: PAL
Wow so you have 216?! Not bad going, what's the last one you are after?

Back to the VMU's though, what variants do you have? I see there were many console specific ones released as pack-ins to collector DC's, such as the pink Hello Kitty and the Japanese Black DC pack. Have you been hunting these down from Japan or are they PAL and US releases? I have even seen a special edition Godzilla one for sale! It's quite interesting just how far Sega went in producing so many variants of the DC and its accessories. It would be great to start off a gallery thread dedicated to showing off the unique VMU variants. Just the official Sega ones though.

Mazonemayu
rank 27
Posted:
Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:21 am
quote : #5
tokyo highway challenge 2 is all I still need
I'll prolly post a pic of it when its complete Wink

edit: vmus I have (from the top of my head, might miss out on a few)

-standard white (a dozen or so Laughing )
-transparant green, blue, grey, yellow,red
-that white official 4x thing (not a vmu, but since its official...)
-that red japanese wrestling one (giant gram I think)
-gamera & gold gidrah one (still looking for the green one)
-cho hatsume boy

thats all I can remember atm

all are boxed btw, I only buy em if they're complete

Blue Rogues...Attack!!!