Topic: Dreamcast rebooting

Page 1 of 1
bear
rank 1
Posted:
Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:18 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Barely used my Dreamcast in about 4 years, and it was working perfectly before, but now it's started rebooting after I tried using it last night. Any idea, guys?

everynewday84
rank 12
Posted:
Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:27 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I have heard numerous stories of dreamcasts overheating or the laser going bad, you can try replacing the laser but if it's overheated I'm not sure there is much that can be done. You were not too detailed in your post so it's hard for anyone to give quality advice or help troubleshoot the problem. But, the good news is dreamcasts can be purchased for under 15 or 20 dollars, shipped, if you stake out eBay for a few days. At that price, I'd recommend purchasing another dreamcast (the laser repair kit can sometimes cost more than a used DC).

Kizzy
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:36 am
quote : #3
Go on Youtube, type in Dreamcast Reboot and you will see several vids showing you what to do. It is only a 2 minute job. Easy!

Kizzy

Bloodflow
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:23 pm
quote : #4
This is called the "random reset problem." This was the first thing I did to fix my new DC. You basically need to just clean the points under the power supply. I've seen some videos that suggest to cram toothpicks and stuff into the connection, but I completely disagree. Just clean them and it should work fine. There is a series of videos on youtube entitled "Ultimate Dreamcast" that I found very informative. Part three covers general repairs.

alienfrontoffline
rank 6
Posted:
Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:11 am
quote : #5
Mine was doing that a while back, but just randomly stopped on its own. It has been good for a few years now. Kinda weird.

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:33 am
quote : #6
Oh good, I've been having this problem lately as well, but I never bothered to look up any information on it.

Thanks for the links.