Page Location: Home > Support > Get Your Dreamcast Online > Topic
thaos627
rank 2
Posted:
Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:09 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U
i can get online with my dreamcast but i cant seem to figure out how to get online with the games. ive been trying quake 3 but im not very good with IP addressing stuff so its confusing to me. i havent found a a thread that says type this here and click go yet and thats basically what i need. please help

SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:16 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
What exactly are you having trouble with?

Can you get quake to connect? Are you having trouble seeing the servers?

A little more detail could go a long way
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
everynewday84
rank 12
Posted:
Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:19 pm
quote : #3
thaos627 wrote:
ive been trying quake 3 but im not very good with IP addressing stuff so its confusing to me. i havent found a a thread that says type this here and click go yet and thats basically what i need. please help

You can get online using a simple command if the basic connection menu is too much for you to comprehend.

During regular gameplay:
1) hit 'F12' key
2) type ';connect 72.232.232.162:27960'
3) you are now online and connected to Online Consoles deathmatch server.

Note: this may only work using a broadband adapter

Favrenation
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:20 pm
quote : #4
It works on PC-DC too.

thaos627
rank 2
Posted:
Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:31 pm
quote : #5
everynewday84 wrote:
thaos627 wrote:
ive been trying quake 3 but im not very good with IP addressing stuff so its confusing to me. i havent found a a thread that says type this here and click go yet and thats basically what i need. please help

You can get online using a simple command if the basic connection menu is too much for you to comprehend.

During regular gameplay:
1) hit 'F12' key
2) type ';connect 72.232.232.162:27960'
3) you are now online and connected to Online Consoles deathmatch server.

Note: this may only work using a broadband adapter

cool thanks this what what i wanted but also how is the other way too? do i just come here to the website using my internet disc and click on the servers on the server section?

SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:00 pm
quote : #6
You can't get on Quake III without the game disc in your dreamcast Razz

Quake III has its own way to connect to the internet and the servers
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
thaos627
rank 2
Posted:
Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:21 pm
quote : #7
i heard its basically just a system link through the internet where the person with the best connection is the host.. is that true? if it is would that mean we could use quake 3 mods (just the chars being different, im not talkin about hacks) if the host is using the same one?

thaos627
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:31 pm
quote : #8
i dont actually have a keyboard (i like the controller better anyways) so i cant use the f12 method

everynewday84
rank 12
Posted:
Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:16 pm
quote : #9
thaos627 wrote:
i dont actually have a keyboard (i like the controller better anyways) so i cant use the f12 method

There IS a way to pull up an on-screen-keyboard using the controller. It will work just the same. Sorry but I'm not sure what the default button to do that is; check in setup > controls > misc if you don't have the game manual.

TeamXlink
rank 8
Posted:
Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:10 pm
quote : #10
thaos627 wrote:
i heard its basically just a system link through the internet where the person with the best connection is the host.. is that true? if it is would that mean we could use quake 3 mods (just the chars being different, im not talkin about hacks) if the host is using the same one?

Well, there are a few things wrong with that.

System Link is not where the person with the best connection is host (In most cases); One console (Person controlling the console) chooses to host and the others choose to be clients, (This is in most cases remember), what your thinking of is how they do it on other matchmaking services (Which is exactly how you described it).

In Quake 3 Arena most servers are dedicated servers, meaning that machine hosts the server and connects directly to it, they are called clients, usually dedicated servers aren't used for multiple things. This is called a client/server relationship; It usually results in a more consistent and constant connection.

On the Dreamcast version of Quake III Arena, hacks and cheating is *almost* non existent, on some servers it is non existent.