Page 1 of 2
DaMan
rank 28
Posted:
Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:33 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I just noticed this on the PS2 site and had to do a double take back on the DC section.

While the original ranks were more interesting I can see the purpose of keeping post count ranks simple.

I did like the name ranks though. It did give the ranks personality.
everynewday84
rank 12
Posted:
Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:44 am
quote : #2
Yeah, I kinda liked being ranked "fragger." Very Happy

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:23 am
quote : #3
Online Consoles: The MMO
rank 20
Posted:
Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:19 am
quote : #4
Don't they seem backward? Shouldn't #1 rank be the one with the most posts?

I liked the names better as well.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
Gforce
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:35 pm
quote : #5
Haha, I totally just noticed this. I suppose the ranks could make it easier for outsiders to know how active the community is. I'll take it either way though.....

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:45 pm
quote : #6
simplifying things is a good idea. but i too wish we could of kept the old ones as well. maybe we can do both?

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:
Don't they seem backward? Shouldn't #1 rank be the one with the most posts?
i think it would be best the way it is. this way you couldn't top out so easily. kind of like leveling up in a RPG. if Nikon didn't cap it you would keep leveling up for ever. Twisted Evil
Posted:
Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:13 pm
quote : #7
I changed the ranks because the rank names were sort of meaningless, and they had a lot of references to stuff that OC isn't going to be supporting. For instance the rank 'helghast' (killzone). Also, the ranks covered all 3 consoles, and were at all 3 sites. So you had PS2 oriented names as ranks at the GC site and same for all the others.

I did plan to make "custom" ranks. Where users could specify there own. However then I thought of abuse, and how people would simply use it to make obnoxious ranks like:

##########

or

or even just re-duplicate their own username a second time.

I tried having a tiered naming system, and then the numbers. So like: newbie, lurker, good poster, contributer, etc. However it all just looked too wierd. Using the word "level" also looked wierd. Maybe because of the 2 lower case L's. So the word "rank" was chosen, with a numeric increment.

If you guys feel really strongly against the rank and the numbers I can easily go back to names, but I would want to make them console specific. Also, another thing is that, with the names there really isn't any heirarchy, you just get this rank name. I don't know if you guys actually preferred the vagueness of it all? or were just used to it?

Feel free to leave your thoughts. To be honest, the main reason the ranks are even there is so I can have the colored text. It adds variety to thread view.
Posted:
Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:21 pm
quote : #8
Type: PAL
I always thought the vagueness was part of it's charm. I like there being a name or something there. It's like a, "hey, well done! Aren't you all awesome and stuff."

Rank number doesn't seem much different from just listing number of posts there or something.
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:21 pm
quote : #9
I heard that once you make it to Rank 100, you have to use OCV2 if you want to make it to Rank 200.

I only disliked the previous ranks because of the aforementioned mixture of console references on a single-console-specific site, but Nikon's already mentioned that would change if OC reverts back to that type of ranking system.

SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:36 am
quote : #10
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
I heard that once you make it to Rank 100, you have to use OCV2 if you want to make it to Rank 200.

Not only that, but I hear only the PAL version of OCV2 is supported

I liked the vagueness of the name ranks. I never really gave them much thought, but it was kind of a unique little thing.

On a side note, my current rank is 16 and I keep wanting to read it as "16-bit"
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:54 am
quote : #11
mcmonkey wrote:
I always thought the vagueness was part of it's charm. I like there being a name or something there. It's like a, "hey, well done! Aren't you all awesome and stuff."

Rank number doesn't seem much different from just listing number of posts there or something.

My thoughts exactly.

DaMan
rank 28
Posted:
Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:13 pm
quote : #12
lordnikon wrote:
I changed the ranks because the rank names were sort of meaningless, and they had a lot of references to stuff that OC isn't going to be supporting. For instance the rank 'helghast' (killzone). Also, the ranks covered all 3 consoles, and were at all 3 sites. So you had PS2 oriented names as ranks at the GC site and same for all the others.

I did plan to make "custom" ranks. Where users could specify there own. However then I thought of abuse, and how people would simply use it to make obnoxious ranks like:

##########

or

or even just re-duplicate their own username a second time.

Just an idea on 1up you need to hit 100,000 points in their system and you can set a custom rank for yourself of course there will always be someone out to abuse the system; maybe like other forums do with custom avatars they have to be approved before you get them sadly the last I thing most of us want to do is create more work for you.

lordnikon wrote:
I tried having a tiered naming system, and then the numbers. So like: newbie, lurker, good poster, contributer, etc. However it all just looked too wierd. Using the word "level" also looked wierd. Maybe because of the 2 lower case L's. So the word "rank" was chosen, with a numeric increment.

If you guys feel really strongly against the rank and the numbers I can easily go back to names, but I would want to make them console specific. Also, another thing is that, with the names there really isn't any heirarchy, you just get this rank name. I don't know if you guys actually preferred the vagueness of it all? or were just used to it?

Feel free to leave your thoughts. To be honest, the main reason the ranks are even there is so I can have the colored text. It adds variety to thread view.

the vagueness did add to the charm still having console specific names would be ok too; maybe there is a middle ground I forgot how many posts it took to move up a name rank, instead of 10 how about 25-50 of course the downside is people posting attempting to post gibberish just to move up a rank naw OC is too cool for that!
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:30 pm
quote : #13
in the end i doubt it would really matter much to me. i think i was more or less just use to the names. maybe the numbers could grow on me Question
Posted:
Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:06 pm
quote : #14
I am going to be reverting back to the custom rank names as per the communities input. I have to now come up with original names, that are console specific, and intrinsic to exclusive titles that define each platform. I may still use generic terms like "fragger" and "online maniac" at all 3 sites.

If you guys have any recommendations for rank names, feel free to add them to the thread!! Mr. Green
Posted:
Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:40 pm
quote : #15
Type: PAL
Ryo Hazuki - whatever rank I'm at. >_>