Page Location: Home > Support > Get Your Dreamcast Online > Topic
nostrus
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:15 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U
So, I'm totally new to the board, but I'm devoted to getting myself back on PSO, even if I have to wait 6 months to apply to do so. But anyway, back to my original topic...

I have a Dreamcast coming to me as I type this, but I was wondering what all Im going to need to get it online. I have a bit of linux experience, so I'll probably use that or WinXP for DC-PC. I just need to know what all I'm gonna have to spend money on and what I need to do to set everything up. Links would be much appreciated.

(And I really don't feel like paying $150 for the BBA) T_T

TeamXlink
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:19 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
nostrus wrote:
So, I'm totally new to the board, but I'm devoted to getting myself back on PSO, even if I have to wait 6 months to apply to do so. But anyway, back to my original topic...

I have a Dreamcast coming to me as I type this, but I was wondering what all Im going to need to get it online. I have a bit of linux experience, so I'll probably use that or WinXP for DC-PC. I just need to know what all I'm gonna have to spend money on and what I need to do to set everything up. Links would be much appreciated.

(And I really don't feel like paying $150 for the BBA) T_T

I don't have the money to spend on a Broadband adapter either, that being the case here is what you will need.

Requirements

*Modem (People say it needs to be a Voice modem, I don't know if it needs to be or not.)
*Computer With internet Connection

For the computer there are generally four routes you can take, I'll outline them below.

Straight Linux install

I have Linux installed on my PC-DC server, I use Linux for reasons other then Linux being totally awesome(It is by the way.)

In Quake III Arena to get the master list to display you require a setup other then windows, or else the list won't show up.

For more information:

http://www.ryochan7.com/blog/2009/06/23/pc-dc-server-guide-part-0-introduction/
Link Removed

Straight Windows

This is an option, there are a few versions of Windows you can use, these are the ones that are known to work in order form the top being most succesful and the bottom being least.

*Windows 98
*Windos 2000/ME
*Windows XP - This method has only worked for one or two people, these people are the creators of the tutorials for this, it hasn't worked for 99% of people.

For more information:

Link Removed

Windows Virtual Machine

This method uses any version of Windows and installs a version of Linux in a Virtual Machine there are advantages and disadvantages to this, I'll outline a few.

For more information:

Link Removed

Advantages

*Don't have to dual boot or have a sepearte Computer for the PC-DC Server, can be used on your main computer running Windows.
*Modems won't require a Linux Compatible driver, they use the Windows drivers.

Disadvantages

*Lag in Quake III Arena, Star Lancer, 4x4 Evo
*Longer loading times in PSO

MAC

This method is the eaisest to use if you already have a MAC, it is very easy to setup and works 100% of the time. For more information see here:

http://www.asyserver.com/~kirwin/dc-modem-to-modem.html

If you need anymore help let me know, I'm more then willing to help.

Last edited by TeamXlink on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:04 pm; edited 5 times in total

nostrus
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:13 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U
Shocked Thanks a ton! I've got an Ubuntu box thats just sitting around doing nothing, would it work for the straight linux setup? If not, what distro do you recommend? And again THANK YOU, I love when someone actually gives straight info on a forum, I think Im gonna like it here.

Now if that Dreamcast would just ship to me already I'd get to work on this. X_X

TeamXlink
rank 8
Posted:
Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:46 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
nostrus wrote:
Shocked Thanks a ton! I've got an Ubuntu box thats just sitting around doing nothing, would it work for the straight linux setup? If not, what distro do you recommend? And again THANK YOU, I love when someone actually gives straight info on a forum, I think Im gonna like it here.

Now if that Dreamcast would just ship to me already I'd get to work on this. X_X

No problem.

That Ubuntu box you have should work perfectly.

Last edited by TeamXlink on Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total