Page Location: Home > Support > PC-DC Server > Topic
HaxD64
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:42 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hi, new to the forums and just had a few questions about this.

In a nutshell I have all the parts and all the equipment setup (Nearby comp with a Voice-enabled PCI modem and Windows 98 ). I was just thinking about how I'll need to make it so that I can just break the circuit whenever I'm finished with my online session, and how to tell if I did in fact turn off my VLI (and thereby save myself a fortune on 9V Batteries, I'm rather forgetful ^_^;; ). Looking through my Dad's old electronic components I found a switch and an LED. The switch is a bit clunky, and I might go pick up another smaller and sleeker switch tomorrow, and I tested the LED and it works fine.

As per the specifications I bought a .47 MFD (50v) Capacitor (axial because it was cheaper, dunno if it matters any and I think it's Electrolytic, I'm still a bit fuzzy on the details of that, but my assumption was that all "canister"-style Caps were Electrolytic), and a 390 Ohm (1/4W) Resistor.

Long Story short I drew up a circuit Schematic to the best of my abilities (because I was bored) and wanted to ask if these pieces were more or less right, and if the LED will draw any significant amount of power off of the line (I know they're specifically built to be ultra-low in energy usage, but I don't know if this would be an issue on a 9V Circuit).

Thanks in advance!
Posted:
Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:08 am
quote : #2
Best to have the LED in parallel instead of series. The level of voltage needs to be precise.

Instead of a switch you could just use any simple +9v power adapter. Wouldn't have to worry about batteries then.
rank 20
Posted:
Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:49 pm
quote : #3
If you just unplugged the phone cord from the voltage inducer it shouldn't draw any current from the battery, because there is no complete circuit.

Am I correct in this assumption?
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
HaxD64
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:28 pm
quote : #4
Made my VLI a few hour ago. As per your suggestion, kbuzz, I put the LED in Parallel. Haven't gotten a chance to test yet, found out my PCI modem has no drivers for windows 98. Getting around that by installing it on a VM to run under XP and bridging the network connection.

Reason I want a switch is because it's a pain in the ass to muck about amidst all the cables just to unplug and then again to replug.

I'll post my results in a bit.

Thank you for the advice.